Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2016, 6:22 pm

Oh, for goodness sake! Honestly. Sorry, but this just seems to me to be exactly the same kind of thing as how weirdly in Italy most of the crimes reported on the news are performed by FOREIGNERS, actually, specifically 'extracommunitari', so people who are not European. Immigrants! (said loudly, with a gleeful tone). They're just so dangerous, you better cross the street if you see one. All those times when nationality is quietly overlooked, one can assume it was not foreigners..

People love theories, especially ones that blame wrongs on people who are somehow distinguishable from them.. and it's so convenient if those people have been neatly pre-labelled. Well, this theory seems to have little actual evidence, while being probably attractive to the general population in the kind of 'them, not us', huddle-together mentality. It's potentially incredibly damaging.

In my opinion, the best thing to think about all this is absolutely nothing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Joe: Asperger's Syndrome/Autism is NOT associated with committing mass murders.

Please get that out of your head.

How can I, when threads keep popping up about it? I get freaked out by this sort of thing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:35 pm

Threads come out about it because people want to PROVOKE.

Don't let them get into your head, Joe.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2016, 6:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
So if I become lonely later on in life I might develop an urge to kill people?

I don't like having AS. It's like I can't trust myself. Well, threads like these are making me feel like I can't trust myself. :cry:

Of course, you could join the long list of straight British female mass murders with Asperger Syndrome. That's a long list of how many I wonder? Most probably none.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:40 pm

I can understand how dis-spiriting it is that these threads even exist. The common theme to them in many OPs is the false underlying insinuation that AS people are inherently dangerous. They aren't. False stereotypes and prejudice are far more dangerous.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 11:31 pm

[b]Here is my take on this subject, I've noticed that every time such incidents occur the media tends to take the notion that the suspect in question must be autistic, as one of the factors often seen in diagnosis lists is lack of empathy. However, I would dispute this cause, many if not all socio/psychopaths tend to exhibit that notion in fact, I'd say that cause autistic persons find it difficult to express empathy, we're erroneously marked as being criminally guilt because of this absurdity. In fact, when I was in school I recall how this unpleasant student in my English class stated to me that, I was going to be the next serial killer based on the fact, I had show the so-called factors of such a person. I wound up disputing such a inaccurate statement and proved them wrong by, explaining that just cause someone is weird does not make them inherently malevolent or evil. Therefore, one should try to live his/her life to the highest potential possible.[/b]

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2016, 5:34 am

Jute wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
So if I become lonely later on in life I might develop an urge to kill people?

I don't like having AS. It's like I can't trust myself. Well, threads like these are making me feel like I can't trust myself. :cry:

Of course, you could join the long list of straight British female mass murders with Asperger Syndrome. That's a long list of how many I wonder? Most probably none.

Well, according to American thriller films, it actually would seem that most mass murderers are in fact female, perhaps loners, non-conformist, probably British or some other kinds of 'other'. I just can't watch that crap anymore. 'Oh my goodness gracious me, what a HUGE surprise, the murderer by some totally unexpected twist (hmm) turns out to be the one you really didn't suspect in a million years .. the woman! the one who's been nurturing all that hatred and anger, so very, very hidden, for all that time!' (or you totally did suspect, if you've got half a brain and have watched a few of these stupid types of films before).

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would think that it was all a plot, to make people carry on being as conformist as they possibly can, so that no-one would ever suspect them of being EVIL people :mrgreen:

The article in Psychology Today tells something about what the figures actually do seem to say about serial killers.

Quote: "The authors (of the study upon which the Washington Post article is based) only identified six diagnosed autistic people. With a total population of 239 killers – mostly male – the latest autism prevalence statistics suggest autism is about as common in this group as it is in the general population."

I hope this might help set people's minds at rest.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 10:16 am

I am so FREAKING SICK of hearing about aspies supposedly being mass murderers EVERY TWO MINUTES. I swear I scream like a banshee if I hear about this one more time. I have never killed anyone, I have no desire or intent to kill anyone, and when I say I do it's just my occasional dark sense of humor. People need to stop assuming I'm something I'm not if I haven't done it. That's like assuming someone is a bank robber when they've never even attempted to rob a bank.

Most aspies are no more violent then NTs. Most people with mental illness are no more violent then "sane" people. How do we get this message through the thick skulls of the world's idiots? I was taught not to believe believe everything I see in movies and on TV, why does everyone else?

Of course, I have yet to hear of any Canadian female aspies being mass murderers, so I guess we all know which country and gender is truly guilty. :twisted: