Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fanatic Heretic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2016, 8:41 pm

I noticed so many young NTs blasting loud music in their cars, on tv, on the radio, etc and feeling totally ok. When they do it around me though, my ears and head hurt and feel physical pain. I have sensory issues. Today my friend had super loud music in the car and I was in pain, but I tried to "suck it up"-and didn't say anything cause there was a guy I don't know well in the car with us and I was embarrassed and also cause he was very tired and the loud music kept him awake and alert, so I didn't want him to fall asleep or anything like that.

Why do these NT people feel the need to destroy their ears with such loud music? Is it the opposite of hypersensitivity? Do they need to stimulate their hearing like that the same way I need to keep things quiet?

Does it ever happen to you that something bothers you but you don't say anything, and if it does, why?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:58 pm

I think it's more a matter of preference than need.
I know some of us want to turn the tables on these NT people and talk abut their abnormal need for loud music and their abnormal need to socialize and whatever other non-autistic behavior one can come up with, but it really doesn't work that way. And yeah sometimes you have to suck it up. I mean people have to put up with my stimming and the noises I make, even though I'm sure it gets on their nerves.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 5:23 am

For me loud music is okay through my own pair of headphones. I don't particularly want people to hear what I'm listening to. I don't understand the NT need to pollute the whole environment around them with their damn noise.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 6:29 am

I gotta be honest... im a noise polluter... my music is always loud as s**t.... sorry guys :(

Whats funny is it really hurts my ears if its music i dont like... if its something i love i cant make it loud enough... like the tv being loud destroys my ears, yet chaotic math metal at full blast in my car sounds great and makes me wish i had a better car stereo... odd thing...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 6:38 am

I don't care for loud music at all, to be honest. Sometimes, the noise drowns out the beauty of the music.

But if somebody else is into it, and I'm not around, let them enjoy it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 7:16 am

Loud music is OK. It's people who ride those really loud motorcycles what annoy me. Some motorbikes that go by my house are so loud they make the house shake.

Fanatic Heretic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2016, 9:16 am

Guys, it took hours for my hearing to get normal again. I'm hypersensitive to sounds. I felt like my hearing was impaired for a few hours. It always happens when I hear loud music like that (when other people do it). I just find it insane and rude because they didn't even ask others if the loudness bothered us. I could literally feel my ears hurting yet I kept quiet cause I absolutely did not want the guy driving to fall asleep, especially not on the highway. I heard him say the music was saving him, in the sense that it was preventing him from falling asleep. This is the only reason why I tried to keep calm and wait for the ride to be over.

I hate those loud motorcycles too and I always startle when I hear them. Still, they don't piss me off because bikers can't control that noise, it's not their fault if what they're driving is loud. On the other hand, the super loud music in the car can be made less loud by simply turning the volume down.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 9:58 am

beakybird wrote:
I gotta be honest... im a noise polluter... my music is always loud as s**t.... sorry guys :(

Whats funny is it really hurts my ears if its music i dont like... if its something i love i cant make it loud enough... like the tv being loud destroys my ears, yet chaotic math metal at full blast in my car sounds great and makes me wish i had a better car stereo... odd thing...

I'm the same way. I blast the stuff right out of my music... in the car, in my headphones, hell, I'll blast it on my stereo and lay on my living room floor because it feels as good as it sounds. I am also intolerant of loud tv (I don't like tv) and loud music I dislike.

As for things happening that bother me and saying nothing... yeah, I do that sometimes especially if it is something someone else is doing in their space. I didn't go to my one in laws house because they had this huge tv hooked up to huge speakers and blasted video games at almost full volume all day long. I could not think in their house so I just stayed away. Problem solved. I know that is not always possible though.

Do you ever use ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones? Not sure if you are comfortable using those, but they can be wonderful things. It might not save you completely, but if it takes the edge off and helps you bounce back faster, it might well be worth it anyway. I know when I am trying to bounce back from something every little bit helps. Sorry it took hours for you to have normal hearing again. Hope you are doing better now.

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2016, 10:11 am

I'm guilty for blasting my music loud. However some days I turn it down for the sake of easing on my hearing considering I am a musician and do not want to lose my hearing. I usually blast it in my car and on speakers, and loud in my headphones. Metal is my genre.

I do respect if someone is in my car and does not like loud music, so i find a way around. Generally i keep it down because I chat with people I'm driving.

TheForeverMan
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2016, 10:11 am

Not a fan of headphones. I prefer my music to have the spatial effect of drenching my surroundings.

Powerful speakers FTW.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 1:31 pm

beakybird wrote:

Well, most of the time when I'm talking about noise pollution it isn't metal. It's annoying oonse oonse oonse... you know, party music. It's some annoying singing over a repetitive electronic beat being blasted. I really don't get why people all over the world gobble it up.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 2:41 pm

I usually bring earplugs everywhere because of this. I don't say anything about unavoidable loud music (neighbors, in a car, at work) until I am thisclose to having a meltdown, and then people call me a rude b***h for ruining their fun. I know earplugs are not much better for your ears, but a meltdown isn't good for anybody.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 7:52 pm

My view? THEY are abnormal!
Human ears are made for detecting small sounds in the environment - not for blasting, noisy electric sounds.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2016, 11:18 pm

I love loud music. I can feel it more that way. Be it Beethoven, Sepultura, or old Buddy Rich. Volume allows me to internalize it better.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 11:39 pm

I have no interest in music, so I don't listen to it myself, but the people in the dorm room next to me play obnoxiously loud music every night. Someone takes what I can only assume is a motherflipping boombox into the bathroom with him when he takes a shower and it causes me physical pain.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2016, 10:10 pm

I don't get this. Most of the time, NTs blast out very loud RAP music from their car. Which in my opinion isn't music. I don't understand why they want to damage their hearing. They will get a reality check eventually when they fail a hearing test at age 50. At times, I wish they were cited/fined for this!