Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 4:39 am

krex wrote:
Politics+humor+energy=good punk.....

We had a local band that I really loved called "the Replacements",especially the first albums...."sorry ma,forgot to take of the trash" was wonderful......Also loved Circle Jerks,"Golden Shower of Hits"......I used t do a "punk rock alphabit" when I was bored.....

Agent Orange
Butt-hole surfers
Clash
Descendents
Effigies

Ok,I'm stuck...Gang of Four came to mind,but my old punks would hunt me down and shoot me if I included them....lol,I dont listen to much of it anymore,have some of the best loaded on my MP3,but it used to be an "obsession"

I dont recall the "Members",but I have probably forgotten more then I remember.Some I will never forget and the smallest phrase will trigger....."mommies little monster" or "Holiday in Cambodia"....good times(and then I got sober 8O )

ooo punk rock alphabet...sounds like a fun challenge :D

adolescents
bad brains
the clash
the dwarves
the exploited
fugazi
the germs
husker du
i against i
jawbreaker
kid dynamite
leftover crack
the mentors
nofx
operation ivy
pinhead gunpowder
the queers
rich kids on lsd
the sainte cathrines
this is my fist!
the urge
the vandals
whole wheat bread
XTC
year of the dragon
zolof the rock and roll destroyer

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 5:00 pm

Yeah for you(I only know the old bands,and even then it pretty much depended on what the few punks I knew could afford to buy....Us groups that were sold in the "inport" ben because they couldnt find a US recorder...outrageous(and twice the price)

Take a fork and poke your eyes out...lights out

John Wayne was a Nazi,he loved to play SS
had a picture of Adolf tucked in his cowboy vest...lololollollol

Has no one heard of the Replacements....,they were like Gods here.OK...not real punky but fun as hell.

Suprised to find fellow AS punks but I dont know why.....we were mostly "nerds with mohawks and a love of stimming,ala,thrashing about"I was lucky to know some that werent TOO punk and listened to ska,rockabely,Queen Ida,etc.Even a few freaks into The Residents(instant migrain but I loved those dancing eyes)

Anyone see Naked Raygun....that was the one that had the singer that looked like Wallys butt kissing friend(still blocking on that name.By the time I left the "scene" in 1990(ripe old age of 26).everything had become PC in my area....no leather,no meat eating.no coke(I could never afford it anyway,coffee had the same effect for me)There was no more nihilism and it lost a lot of it's fun....I couldnt see joining with a bunch a straight edgers(I liked sex to much)so I was stuck between generations and sobriety.....was fun,no regrets and I learned how to set up a squat if the need should reoccur... :wink:

I think I would replace Butthole surfers with Big Black....I had a few deathrock friends but not many punks liked Sister of Mercy or Bauhaus(great to slit your wrists to ...I kid,I kid) :wink:

ahah,this is fun...."meeeeeemorieeeeees...like the cooooorners of my miiiiiind(I think thats Strisand but would have made a great punk cover)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2007, 5:51 pm

...Me too , as I've at least half-way indicated...I never saw Richard hell , I liked the " Blank Gen. " LP LOADS , ssiiiiiigghh .
I saw the replacements once , on their very very very last tour , when they had a new bass-palyer?? who never officially recorded with them , after their last , " all shook down " album , I think it was a ": let's squeeze some lil' bit more $ from our fan base B4 breaking up " tour . They were okay/alright , in their mellow , later-years , way...However , they did a touch of pointless dissing of their earlier sound then , 'tho .
sh***y things happened in my life about 1980 , that left me all f****d up .
The " Capt. Kirk " song was by a guy who called himself Spizzenergi , Athletico Spizz 80 , a new variation of " Spizz " every year .
I saw the Clash once , on their 2nd?? US tour , the - now I've forgotten ! !! !! !! !! - the Belfast pop-punks , I started to write " Replaceme- " , the band with Fergal Sah- the Undertones , they opened , plus Sam and Dave as well .
I really loved the Ramones once but I was the prime of my liking them by the time I saw them .
I loved the Buzzcocks too . Saw 'em twice , once , " back in the day " , once , in the '90s .

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2007, 5:53 pm

Fugazi!
In my opinion,they are the roots(along with Slint)for "emo" and "mathrock".

RH+Voidoids!
"love comes in spurts
in dangerous flirts
and it murders your heart
they didn't tell you that part"

Ramones!
You knew the Ramones really wished to be a famous bubblegum band when they started?

Black Flag?
"my war
you're one of them
you said you were my friend
but you're one of them"

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 6:59 pm

Starr wrote:
... Were they punky enough? I remember a lot of bands at the time were pretending to be but they weren't really the full punk. And we just knew they were faking, didn't we?

I liked Blondie. Does that count ?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 7:51 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
Starr wrote:
... Were they punky enough? I remember a lot of bands at the time were pretending to be but they weren't really the full punk. And we just knew they were faking, didn't we?

NO...that does NOT count...she was one of the first rappers though....something about aliens in cars drinking in bars,acting like rock stars....or something like that(1982?)at least it was the first rap I ever heard.She was pretty cute thought and I knew several older punks that had a crush on her.

Hanky....I like Buzzcocks too and Undertones,hadnt thought about them for awhile.I thikn the thing that pushed me into punk music was how much music sucked in the 80's....Prince,Maddona,etc.

I saw Black Flag so many time I actually got sick of them,they toured way to much,went to a few Henry Rollins..."story hours"as well....thats was ....."interesting".

Yeah,the Replacements old stuff was much more fun,didnt care for all their later love songs.Chris Mars is now a local artist does some interesting record cover stuff.One of them ODed,think another one died of something else....gettin old.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 7:55 pm

krex wrote:
BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
Starr wrote:

NO...that does NOT count...

:cry:

I'm going away now to listen to Shania Twain.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:06 pm

krex wrote:
Yeah for you(I only know the old bands,and even then it pretty much depended on what the few punks I knew could afford to buy....Us groups that were sold in the "inport" ben because they couldnt find a US recorder...outrageous(and twice the price)

Take a fork and poke your eyes out...lights out

John Wayne was a Nazi,he loved to play SS
had a picture of Adolf tucked in his cowboy vest...lololollollol

Has no one heard of the Replacements....,they were like Gods here.OK...not real punky but fun as hell.

Suprised to find fellow AS punks but I dont know why.....we were mostly "nerds with mohawks and a love of stimming,ala,thrashing about"I was lucky to know some that werent TOO punk and listened to ska,rockabely,Queen Ida,etc.Even a few freaks into The Residents(instant migrain but I loved those dancing eyes)

Anyone see Naked Raygun....that was the one that had the singer that looked like Wallys butt kissing friend(still blocking on that name.By the time I left the "scene" in 1990(ripe old age of 26).everything had become PC in my area....no leather,no meat eating.no coke(I could never afford it anyway,coffee had the same effect for me)There was no more nihilism and it lost a lot of it's fun....I couldnt see joining with a bunch a straight edgers(I liked sex to much)so I was stuck between generations and sobriety.....was fun,no regrets and I learned how to set up a squat if the need should reoccur... :wink:

I think I would replace Butthole surfers with Big Black....I had a few deathrock friends but not many punks liked Sister of Mercy or Bauhaus(great to slit your wrists to ...I kid,I kid) :wink:

ahah,this is fun...."meeeeeemorieeeeees...like the cooooorners of my miiiiiind(I think thats Strisand but would have made a great punk cover)

i nearly put naked raygun for my n but decided to go with something a little more mainstream.

yeah....the PC garbage is annoying.

never did coke...never wanted to. descendents and my coffee mug are all i need there. :P

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:14 pm

krex wrote:
BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
Starr wrote:

NO...that does NOT count...she was one of the first rappers though....something about aliens in cars drinking in bars,acting like rock stars....or something like that(1982?)at least it was the first rap I ever heard.She was pretty cute thought and I knew several older punks that had a crush on her.

Hanky....I like Buzzcocks too and Undertones,hadnt thought about them for awhile.I thikn the thing that pushed me into punk music was how much music sucked in the 80's....Prince,Maddona,etc.

I saw Black Flag so many time I actually got sick of them,they toured way to much,went to a few Henry Rollins..."story hours"as well....thats was ....."interesting".

Yeah,the Replacements old stuff was much more fun,didnt care for all their later love songs.Chris Mars is now a local artist does some interesting record cover stuff.One of them ODed,think another one died of something else....gettin old.

the old school punks expire young. something about too much hard drugs.

meh, i'll stick to pot, shrooms, nitrous hits, salvia, alcohol and coffee.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:57 pm

Yeah...our "summer of love" was 1989....one guy got a meat hook for stupping the wrong girl,a few were in and out of jails...lots of friends getting put in the hospital by skinheads,getting hooked on heroin,the new schoolers were mostly run aways from MO and Scifi CA.There were only a few of us old timers around(old at 26 and feeling it),most had mainstreamed others had moved away(I think they had worn out their welcome leaching off people and went to a new place to be "the cool kid")I got sober but it took a few years to lose the mowhalk and I added piercings and tattoes(never had the money when I was a street punk).

Now I just look like a homeless "cat lady" with a few tattoes and scars. listen to anything I want,(some of it is still punk.They still crack me up.)I feel more free then I ever did belonging to a group of "anarcist"...lol

I actually didnt like many drugs...LSD a few times a year,Robo with DM was one of my favorites.....but I loved going to shows or crouching in the corner at house parties watching people.I let the dentist use Nitros once...couldnt stop saying "wow".. :oops:
I still have a box of whippits calling my name but I PLAN to use them to make fizzy drinks someday.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:29 pm

ha....i feel old at 22. but that's more depression (hence the self-medication). but then again, i'm also a jaded cynic. not extrovertedly most of the times....but it's there.

heh....summer of love. there was no love with my punk scene. it was always some s**t or another. there were good moments but there were also a lot of stupid ones....me being the cynic i am, i generally tended to just look down on most of the stupidity (like getting drunk underage a block down the street from the police station...and they knew we were there).

eh, i had fun with my bands....but we also burned bridges...including with each other!! ! only still talk to maybe 2 people....and this is from a ska band.

oh well whatever. i think most of the punk scene today are stupid hipsters and kids who just don't get it.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 12:04 am

Well,I once read that a cynic is really an idealist who has been screwed over one to many times....I think ASers are more vulnerable to it because we use "logic" and the world does not run on logic....it runs on nurosis and insanity and greed(all the same thiing with different names but pretty much the same consequences(how's that for cynicism).

I actually found it very liberating when I realized that the world was really insane.....not just figuritively insane but quite literaly insane.I may have read to much history but it is pretty obvious that what should be a desire to have all basic resources available(survival)has been the geneticly mutated into a desire to have more then you can ever use at the cost to everyone else.At least these are the people who end up in power and make the rules for everyone else.O fcourse I can only speak for western cultures,dont know as much about others.Slavery has been outlawed but I think the people who are the wealiest(and plan to stay that way)have found a way around it.......get rid of most social services,provide charge cards,create an education system that will put the person in debt and make sure you get rid of bankrupcy(except for big businesses).This creates an economy that favors employers(they are still mad about the unions which became as corrupt as anything else).People hae to take whatever jobs are available and stay as long as they can(notice most employees now have you sign a fire at will=for no reason contract apon being hired)The employer can hire them "on salery" and make them work 80 hours a week,so that theit hourly wage can end up being even less then their "subordinates".They are on-call 24/7,and their lives are basically owned by the companies...because they have to pay off that student loan,the house that the president told every one to buy(personal ownership is patriotic and good for the economy....yes,he said that,just not as well as I did... :wink: )Everyone is told....sorry we took all your factory jobs and sent them over seas.....it is for your on good....now you can get more education(and another loan,while you try and work to pay off the house you were suckered into,take care f the 2 kids you never see because you are working,studying or in class)....sound like a good plan.....and what will this great new education get you......

probably a job in the service industry collecting credit-card debts,changing bed pans in a hospital or something that starts with..."how may I help you sir....ie....what piece of meaningless tech can I sell you so that you can feel like you have a life,sir"

A cynic isnt a cynic,they are a realist.The sadest thing to me is that there doesnt seem to be any awareness or rebellion of this in the kids today.....they either know the facts and are suicidal,or buy into "owning is power" ie rap culture.OK....Ive gone and depressed myself(glad I dont cut any more).Now I have to go do some sudoku,pet my cats and bunnies and remember....
"this too shall pass",cause it does....and then it comes back and then it passes and then......

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 1:23 am

i actually take it farther than what you've said.

people want to be enslaved.....eventually. people can't stand freedom. when they have too much, they go crazy and lose direction. they can't operate. they beg for fascism to come in and straighten them out*. it's how fascists come into and gain so much power. it's not done by gunpoint, it's done on bended knee.

this is the true insanity of most people.

you can look at venezuela right now for a perfect example of begging....pleading....crying for fascism. then when they get it, they'll be upset because their lives are so at risk and they've given up more freedoms than they realized when they were signing away their freedom.

*other than the example cited above, you can also look at the neo-cons and pretty much most of the free love generation....they're the baby boomers who now seek stricter laws, more laws, and more "security". they're gonna pendulum swing us into our own fascism pretty soon....either by the hands of democrats who'll take away our right to defend ourselves and have freely run business and speech or by the republicans who will set up strict laws on sex, inflate the size of the military, and encourage big business to enslave the lower classes.

just you wait...it'll be between mit romney and hillary clinton and i'll have to kill myself because i won't be able to afford to move to belgium.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 1:48 am

skafather84 wrote:
people want to be enslaved.....eventually. people can't stand freedom.

Hmmm ... free to be rich and free to starve (who said that?)

I don't know that freedom is a common human state. Ruling classes have always had freedoms, the concept of freedom to everyone else is relatively new and uncommon. When I studied economic history, fuedal societies broke down and serfs/peasants released from bonds and given freedom because the Fuedal Lords wanted to get rid of the people and not have obligations to them. So they were "freed". Free to be rich or free to starve.

IMO most people want to be free of responsibility, so you may well be right that most people can't stand freedom and the responsibilities that go with it.

Sorry to but in.

Where is my Barry Manilow CD .....

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 1:54 am

bazza: i'm more refering to within the last 70 or so years.

the baby boomers are my pet loathing and proof that the "greatest generation" isn't.

krex: where you from/where you living? just so i can get some idea of the punk scene where you were. i'm originally from new orleans and where i participated in the punk scene....before i got burned out by the hippie vegan self-righteous idiots.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 2:12 am

skafather84 wrote:
bazza: i'm more refering to within the last 70 or so years.

Russian serfs were only a bit more than 70 years.

Do you think human nature has changed?