Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 2:21 am

I have lived in Minneapolis for the past,almost 20 years.I really dont know what or if the scene still exists.Within 3 years of getting sober,I stopped even going to shows,I just felt to old and to bored.

Even in the punk scene I wa an outsider,usually one of the punks would "adopt" me and everyone else would tolerate me.I was 26 and hanging out with 16-20 year olds(gutter punks) at the end and it was pretty depressing because the only way I could tolerate being with them was to get drunk,yet I didnt want to be alone on the streets.....so after 6 mths,I checked myself into a CD program so I could get my s**t together and get a bath(being homeless in MN in Dec. is a BAD idea.

And when I referreed to the "summer of love" I was kidding,it was a lot of dysfunctional people who had run away from crappy families trying to stay alive.In was interesting and I did learn somethings and some of the females were actually nice but most of the guys survived by picking up ricj "wanabe" suburban girls and drinking daddies liquire while they bad mouthed the suburbs and said...."eat the rich"(you mean their daughters?)but dont eat meat.

I can understand why you feel so let down by the exhippies but some of them were cool and actually gave a s**t....they just couldnt get the "weekend hippies" to orginize to change anything.Some of them are still "living the life" but dont get much PR,the majority never were hippies but just "playing house" until they missed a meal or got crabs.No matter what the few good ones did they couldnt change the reality of human nature.....fear and greed.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 2:45 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
bazza: i'm more refering to within the last 70 or so years.

Russian serfs were only a bit more than 70 years.

Do you think human nature has changed?

That dies seem to be the result of every revolution....the people who displace the "powers that be",become the powers and dont give a s**t about anything but their own power and how to keep it('cause someone always wants to take it and there is always a government that will help them try....US has had it's fingers in South America politics more times then you would believe.)

I have noticed an increase in "hard liner conservitives getting elected lately"(France,Mexico,US)Maybe people are getting scared and think they will protect them when armigendin arrives?(or maybe they are trying to get armigedon kick started)I dont really think every one wants to be a slave.....I think it is just fear of all the change(global economy,etc),and a need for what they perceive is "tradition and stability"....people are just flat out scared and running to big daddy to protect them.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 3:54 am

krex wrote:
I have lived in Minneapolis for the past,almost 20 years.I really dont know what or if the scene still exists.Within 3 years of getting sober,I stopped even going to shows,I just felt to old and to bored.

Even in the punk scene I wa an outsider,usually one of the punks would "adopt" me and everyone else would tolerate me.I was 26 and hanging out with 16-20 year olds(gutter punks) at the end and it was pretty depressing because the only way I could tolerate being with them was to get drunk,yet I didnt want to be alone on the streets.....so after 6 mths,I checked myself into a CD program so I could get my sh** together and get a bath(being homeless in MN in Dec. is a BAD idea.

And when I referreed to the "summer of love" I was kidding,it was a lot of dysfunctional people who had run away from crappy families trying to stay alive.In was interesting and I did learn somethings and some of the females were actually nice but most of the guys survived by picking up ricj "wanabe" suburban girls and drinking daddies liquire while they bad mouthed the suburbs and said...."eat the rich"(you mean their daughters?)but dont eat meat.

I can understand why you feel so let down by the exhippies but some of them were cool and actually gave a sh**....they just couldnt get the "weekend hippies" to orginize to change anything.Some of them are still "living the life" but dont get much PR,the majority never were hippies but just "playing house" until they missed a meal or got crabs.No matter what the few good ones did they couldnt change the reality of human nature.....fear and greed.

yuck....gutter punks are always a bad idea.

ex hippies. the punks, the ex punks, the trend f*****s, the mass media, the independent media....i'm pretty much let down by everything.

i will say, though....i just watched an episode of penn and teller: BS and it really just warmed my heart....it was about idolizing government and patriotism. it was titled under mount rushmore...but obviously that was just more a surface issue to address a deeper rooted issue.

they also burn a flag in the episode in celebration of freedom to burn a flag. made me wish we could actually live in that imaginary free country where government isn't turned into its own deity and an infallible icon.

but that's where i go back to belgium.....they seem to be getting it right at the moment and the current moment is good enough for me....they have much more of a history and respect for their history than the US probably ever will.

i still hate most commie and anarchist punks. they have the freedom to say their dumb garbage and i have the right to hate them and disprove them with facts about how flawed their ideology is.

eh....some strive for their ideology....i just strive to eventually get it right and bring others to getting it right. almost a messianic complex if i wasn't such a skeptical agnostic.

as far as minnesota....husker du!! !! !! !! !!

sorry...had to go there.

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2007, 1:55 pm

krex wrote:
Yeah...our "summer of love" was 1989....one guy got a meat hook for stupping the wrong girl,a few were in and out of jails...lots of friends getting put in the hospital by skinheads,getting hooked on heroin,the new schoolers were mostly run aways from MO and Scifi CA.

...Missouri and Southern Califiornia ? Running away to Minneapolis ?

There were only a few of us old timers around(old at 26 and feeling it),most had mainstreamed others had moved away(I think they had worn out their welcome leaching off people and went to a new place to be "the cool kid")I got sober but it took a few years to lose the mowhalk and I added piercings and tattoes(never had the money when I was a street punk).

Now I just look like a homeless "cat lady" with a few tattoes and scars. listen to anything I want,(some of it is still punk.They still crack me up.)I feel more free then I ever did belonging to a group of "anarcist"...lol

I actually didnt like many drugs...LSD a few times a year,Robo with DM was one of my favorites.....but I loved going to shows or crouching in the corner at house parties watching people.I let the dentist use Nitros once...couldnt stop saying "wow".. :oops:
I still have a box of whippits calling my name but I PLAN to use them to make fizzy drinks someday.

aspieduck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2007, 9:42 pm

Sorry to interrupt the conversation . . .

I bought "London Calling" this year, and I love it! It's incredible that The Clash put together not one, but two albums' worth of great songs. My favorites are the title track, "Clampdown," "Ruidie Can't Fail," "Revolution Rock," "Death Or Glory," - well, most of them really!

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 5:41 am

I haven't gotten into The Clash yet, I'm busy with other bands.

So far I'm into these well established Punk bands (By well established I mean that not many people would argue)

Suicide
Naked Raygun
Amebix
Big Black
The Jesus Lizard
Bush Tetras
Butthole Surfers
Gang of Four
Television
Josef K
Comsat Angels
The Damned
Flipper
Nomeansno
GG Allin
Joy Division
Killing Joke
UK Decay
Savage Republic
Chrome

These bands are more influenced by Punk rather than Punk themselves

Cop Shoot Cop
Teenage Jesus and the Jerks
Drive Like Jehu
Slint
The Chameleons

I'll have to add to these lists later on at some point. Don't make the mistake of assuming that I like mostly Punk bands though. :D

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 6:09 am

Quote:
Sorry to interrupt the conversation . . .

I bought "London Calling" this year, and I love it! It's incredible that The Clash put together not one, but two albums' worth of great songs. My favorites are the title track, "Clampdown," "Ruidie Can't Fail," "Revolution Rock," "Death Or Glory," - well, most of them really!

Have you heard Sandinista, aspieduck? That's my other favourite Clash album, after London Calling. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:38 am

Starr wrote:
I'm listening to ~

....Now we get a rude and a reckless
We been seen lookin' cool an' a speckless
We been drinking brew for breakfast
So Rudie can't fail.

:D

I have that CD as well. It's a very good one. 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:40 am

I also have Black Market Clash. My favourite song on this particular CD of course, being 1977. 8) :lol:

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 9:29 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also have Black Market Clash. My favourite song on this particular CD of course, being 1977. 8) :lol:

:lol:

Coincidentally, CR, I'm listening to the Clash now, Four Horsemen. :)

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2007, 10:20 pm

krex wrote:
Has no one heard of the Replacements....,they were like Gods here.OK...not real punky but fun as hell.
Um..... Yeah :!: :!: ...

by the way krexI was wondering if you liked these guys(links to youtube):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NeqyCwAeT3I

krex wrote:
Suprised to find fellow AS punks but I dont know why.....we were mostly "nerds with mohawks and a love of stimming,ala,thrashing about"
Yeah... where I grew up, up near Boston, it seemed like alot of the freaks and outcasts floated into or through the punkish scene...

krex wrote:
ahah,this is fun...."meeeeeemorieeeeees...like the cooooorners of my miiiiiind(I think thats Strisand but would have made a great punk cover)
LOL...good call...I want to get a band together just to do that cover

krex
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 1:40 pm

by the way krexI was wondering if you liked these guys(links to youtube):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NeqyCwAeT3I

Husker Who?.....thats what we called them.....very popular here,I did like them but got very upset with the drummer (Grant Hart)because he was always trying to pick up my boyfriends(who were very flattered,which annoied me)He has been in a few bands since Huskers broke up,but none as good(MHO)

krex wrote:
ahah,this is fun...."meeeeeemorieeeeees...like the cooooorners of my miiiiiind(I think thats Strisand but would have made a great punk cover)
LOL...good call...I want to get a band together just to do that cover[/quote]

Circle Jerks...."golden shower of hits" was one of my favorites albums,as was the cover of...."Rawhide"....DK?I think you could do a whole "cover show" of Captain and Taneal(sp)......dont forget to do...."muskrat love"....good way to get lots of beer(thrown on you from the crowd) :wink:

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 2:03 pm

I was a huge Husker Du fan back in the 80's, up until Candy Apple Grey. Then they lost me and I moved on, happily. I see them now for what they really were back then, a band that was too poppish and too trendy for their own good. They had talent, but to be frank, Bob Mould's almost as big an as*hole as that guy from the Replacements. He made me ill with all of his post-Husker whining about how Husker fans wouldn't have accepted that he was gay, so he had to hide it from the fans. BS, and he knows it. They didn't retain that early harcore audience for very long after Metal Circus, and their much more liberal audience (like me) after that wouldn't have cared. I mean, if you listened to them back in the 80's, you were a certified freak and you knew better than to judge your fellow freaks.

They had some great songs, but they weren't really that innovative, always following someone else's lead. There's definitely better bands from back then, like Mission of Burma or the Minutemen. I'd even say the Meat Puppets were a better band, although I never really listened to them much.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 5:01 pm

Rockin' the Casbah!

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 2:54 am

....The Shareef won't like it :lol:

Mescalero
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2007, 11:44 pm

New film out this month

Web Page Name

The Clash probably, if pushed, my favourite band. Soundtrack to my teenage years (and still)

Undertones
Stiff Little Fingers
Joy Division
Magazine
X-Ray Spex
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Sex Pistols
Crass
Television
Bob Marley
aaaah tooo many to name