Why can't people make fun of others anymore?

Page 5 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 12:38 pm

B19 wrote:
There are always unwritten limits on "free speech" in civil society, and perhaps it is naive to think otherwise.

Try telling your boss that you think he/she is a rude noxious bully
Try telling a cop that he is wasting your time giving you a speeding ticket.
Try going to a gay nightclub wearing a badge that says "gays suck"
Encourage your children to tell their teacher that he is mean, nasty and unfair
Go to a party at a friend's house and openly disparage the host
Go to a Trump rally wearing a "I'm voting Hillary badge"
Apply for a bank loan and lecture the loan officer on the greed of banks
Insult someone who is a intoxicated and waving a gun around
Routinely inform others how ignorant you think they are
Walk around in a public place, holding a sign with some form of overt bigotry/hate speech on it
Try laughing at or correcting a mispronunciation made by a person interviewing you for a job
Be rude wherever you want, whenever you want, because respect for others is a silly idea to gag free speakers.

I hope you wouldn't do any of these things, and you probably wouldn't; most people wouldn't. The consequences of spouting off your right to "free speech" without reflection and respect are not likely to be good.

Lot of what you wrote are more of unwritten rules of life. Of course you don't want to tell someone what you really think of them (if it's negative) if they have power over you.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 12:45 pm

B19 wrote:
There are always unwritten limits on "free speech" in civil society, and perhaps it is naive to think otherwise.

Walk around in a public place, holding a sign with some form of overt bigotry/hate speech on it
Try laughing at or correcting a mispronunciation made by a person interviewing you for a job
Be rude wherever you want, whenever you want, because respect for others is a silly idea to gag free speakers.

I hope you wouldn't do any of these things, and you probably wouldn't; most people wouldn't. The consequences of spouting off your right to "free speech" without reflection and respect are not likely to be good.

Okay free speech just means you can't be arrested and go to jail for it. We are allowed to protest, have rallies but there are like rules about it such as no trespassing and not disturb the peace. Here in my area if people want to have a rally, they have to arrange it first with the city and they warn everyone ahead of time for the upcoming rally and they close the streets off.

Another example we can do is we have this radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh and he says lot of offensive things. But anyway people don't like him and lot of stuff he says is just offensive so people decided to start boycotting any products by companies that advertise their stuff on radio stations that have Rush Limbaugh and they even boycott shopping at stores that advertise their businesses on the radio station so what happened, radio stations have started dropping him because they were losing money because businesses were not advertising on their station because they were also losing money because people wouldn't shop at their store. So we do have some power and our freedom of speech to do this. It's not illegal what Rush does but people are allowed to protest and boycott.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 12:47 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Why is the kitchen culture this way? Does it aid in productivity/motivation or is it a socially acceptable way to vent grievances? That is, are the jibes motivated by anger or play?

It's a bonding ritual for people who have to work together in confined spaces under high pressure in intense heat and surrounded by sharp objects. There's no malice behind it, it's just a way of keeping things light, especially when the crew is in the weeds and the stress is high.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 1:09 pm

Dox47 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Why is the kitchen culture this way? Does it aid in productivity/motivation or is it a socially acceptable way to vent grievances? That is, are the jibes motivated by anger or play?

It's a bonding ritual for people who have to work together in confined spaces under high pressure in intense heat and surrounded by sharp objects. There's no malice behind it, it's just a way of keeping things light, especially when the crew is in the weeds and the stress is high.

I recently heard someone say that in social situations, men commonly insult each other but don't really mean it, and women commonly compliment each other but don't really mean it.

There Are Four Lights!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 1:42 pm

Darmok wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

I recently heard someone say that in social situations, men commonly insult each other but don't really mean it, and women commonly compliment each other but don't really mean it.

Humans constantly say s**t they don't mean.Unlike reptiles,which only say s**t they mean.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 2:11 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Unlike reptiles,which only say s**t they mean.

Oh sure, that's what you want us to believe because it makes your lizard invasion go easier.

There Are Four Lights!

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 2:34 pm

Didn't the snake have legs at that time?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 2:37 pm

Darmok wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Unlike reptiles,which only say s**t they mean.

Oh sure, that's what you want us to believe because it makes your lizard invasion go easier.

Some old dude with a beard said not to eat that fruit,we are not responsible for what happened afterwards.I think a disclosure was signed.High Command at Draco has it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 2:39 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

Snakes are basically legless lizards.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 10:36 am

B19 wrote:

Those are not limits to free speech, those are limits to context which has entirely made the culture of offense. If people could be more mature about stuff then a gay club and a party across street with badges that says "gays suck" would be completely fine. Respect me and I'll respect you, but we can't have that in a culture of offensive. Not only do I have to not care what homosexuals do across the street but sudden I have to embrace their life style. What if I wanted to stay in my home with a badge that says "gays suck"? Am I hurting anyone? Are homosexuals hurting me by telling me what to think?

Why not let homosexuals do their thing and let me do mine. I am not anti gay by the way and that was just one example I can use but at what point is that offensive? Does telling me I have to get rid of badge that says "gays suck" a violation of my rights just as it is a violation of their rights to tell gays they shouldn't have a gay club.

B19 wrote:
Disrespectful comments aimed at other people in social life have emerged only in recent decades, and seems to have developed simultaneously with narcissist culture and reality television - so perhaps social learning theory explains it better than the idea that it is a reaction to political correctness. Political correctness may have developed as a backlash to disrespectful behaviour, rather than the other way around.

Disrespectful comments come from a culture of offense, if I am hurting no one then leave me the hell alone, if homosexuals are hurting no one then leave them alone. If Christians are hurting no one then leave them alone. If Muslims are hurting no one then leave them alone. We are so intolerant of everything we can't even have a freedom of speech, when did our minds become so close minded?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 4:52 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

That is correct.

Or...would seem to be correct because thats what scripture strongly implies.

After the Fall God admonished the snake that "from now on you will have to crawl around on your belly" which implies that the snake didnt have to do that prior to the fall. Ergo the serpent must have had limbs (and been lizard like) in the Garden of Eden prior to that whole eating the forbidden fruit fiasco.