My letter to autism speaks. I reject a cure.

Page 8 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2016, 8:54 pm

@jhonnyh yes i have heard that term, and thats fine. Have your own hopes and dreams but dont:

Try to convince me that you arent responsible for your own descisions and what you say to others.

Blame a gift like autism for all your problems.

Be negative and tear down others optimism

Get all defensive and offended just because someone is trying to wake you up to seeing things rightly.

And most importantly, take a post that thas absolutely nothing to do with you (i.e. Neurodiverse holiday wishes for other members on the forum) and throw it back in the person's face. This isnt right.

I stopped the arguing explaining to him that i would not argue with him anymore and i had the last word in stopping the argument by explaining that his future posts would be ignored by me and that i would only focus on those who support me.
Instead of continuing to argue back and forth with somekne who clearly doesnt know how to listen.

Instead of leaving it at that and letting me go about my buisness ,he had to make it about him, because it seems its always about him :roll: .

Sarcasm aside, taking a post that had no rude or mean content and was not directed to him in anyway and throwing it back in my face like that is immature and not appreciated. Its simply rude and frankly shows a lack of maturity and intelligence. The arguing is done. Let me focus on my supporters and let it be.
Dont be mad just cause i had a last word.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2016, 9:14 pm

Reading this thread is pretty painful because the OP did mean well but still got attacked..

I think most of the negativity to a degree is the result of jealousy because O.P is functioning a lot higher than a lot of us. There are lots of adults here on the spectrum that are really struggling through life and will never marry, attain employment or live independently like the O.P has done. She likely doesn't have a need for a cure because her ASD is not severe enough to be disabling. But this is just her experience with Autism.

I personally don't see a "cure" as possible, not that I don't want it. No amount of research can rewire a brain. And there is no DBS-like procedure for Autism.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 9:25 pm

^ Painful is right.

It's like a man on crutches telling a paraplegic he's not trying hard enough.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 10:43 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I'm going to be perfectly blunt here.

I have serious autism. It was something picked up on almost immediately after I was born and fully diagnosed before I was three. I have spent my entire life in special care and in special schools for autism.

To me a lot of times it seems like from my perspective, people talk about autism like someone slightly hard of hearing talking about being deaf. Or like someone with astigmatism talking about being blind.

For them autism seems more like a novelty, rather than what's supposed to be; which is a debilitating neurological disorder. AJisHere is someone I relate to very well. Others here I barely relate to, if at all. That doesn't mean I don't value them as members of WP. But I do not think they suffer from any form of serious autism and don't have a genuine grasp on what that's like. For them it seems more to be an aspect of their personality than the awful disability that I suffer from greatly daily.

That's medically suffer neurologically. Not suffering because I don't have the right attitude or whatever. That's nonsense.

Of course you are entitled to your beliefs, Ezra.

I don't think it's right for you to tell people that they don't have "serious autism", like it's "supposed" to be. You know very little about the difficulties that other people have as individuals

I've been speaking about overall individuals I've read over the course of years and basing my opinion on what they have to say about autism. What they themselves say about their experience with autism. I'm addressing a certain type of person, not any individual. If my comments, don't apply to them, then they are not who I am talking about.

The_Walrus wrote:
and I don't think policing who gets to have an opinion gets you anywhere.

In what way have I been policing who gets to have an opinion? Who have I tried to control/moderate in this thread? I consider that a serious accusation coming from a moderator, so I'd appreciate you pointing it out to me.

The_Walrus wrote:
This very thread contains people who have reported similar experiences to you who have spoken against a cure. Several high-profile autistic self-advocates are non-verbal autistics who need round-the-clock care but are still anti-cure.

I never talked about such individuals, so why are you bringing them up? I'm talking about individuals in general who they themselves describe autism in very unrealistic terms.

The_Walrus wrote:
I also think you're misrepresenting the social model. It doesn't say that autism only impairs you because of your attitude, rather that disability experiences are largely the result of a lack of accommodation and of a society shaped to suit the able.

No the social model I'm addressing basically says that autism being a disorder (which it is) and a disability (which it is) is a myth. That any negative experiences someone has with autism is based solely on wrong attitudes and interpretations. That it's supposed to be a unique and wonderful asset and the only problem people have with autism is how they view it. I'm talking about completely unrealistic nonsense.

Last edited by EzraS on 17 Nov 2016, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 11:04 pm

waterstar0610 wrote:

Okay, let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. Are you saying that autism should be reclassified in the DSM as a gift? And if so, what exactly is that supposed to mean?

Is it that sensory overload which causes pain and shutdowns and meltdowns, that extreme difficulty or inability to socialize with others, that something that impairs or prevents someone from being able to do ordinary everyday things, and a plethora of other problems, is supposed to be viewed as a gift?

I don't get it, please help me to understand.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 12:34 am

waterstar0610 wrote:
Ok this is too funny! I am going to respond only because this cracks me up! Hahahahaha!

Any time.

Quote:
I wish you all the love and acceptance for autism and all the neurodiversity you can possibly have! Thank you for helping to clarify what i did NOT say.

Don't lie.

Quote:

What if it's not a gift for everyone? Has this thought even crossed your mind?

Quote:
Get all defensive and offended just because someone is trying to wake you up to seeing things rightly.

You're the one who decides right and wrong? Who made you God?

Quote:
Its simply rude and frankly shows a lack of maturity and intelligence.

Insulting people because they have the nerve to disagree with you doesn't?

Quote:
The arguing is done. Let me focus on my supporters and let it be.

Nope.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 12:35 am

bethannny wrote:
Reading this thread is pretty painful because the OP did mean well but still got attacked..

I think most of the negativity to a degree is the result of jealousy because O.P is functioning a lot higher than a lot of us. There are lots of adults here on the spectrum that are really struggling through life and will never marry, attain employment or live independently like the O.P has done. She likely doesn't have a need for a cure because her ASD is not severe enough to be disabling. But this is just her experience with Autism.

I'm very high functioning, and I'd take a cure without a second thought. Your assertion is quite frankly insulting.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 1:49 am

bethannny wrote:

I think most of the negativity to a degree is the result of jealousy because O.P is functioning a lot higher than a lot of us. There are lots of adults here on the spectrum that are really struggling through life and will never marry, attain employment or live independently like the O.P has done. She likely doesn't have a need for a cure because her ASD is not severe enough to be disabling. But this is just her experience with Autism

Th OP posting statements like "Get all defensive and offended just because someone is trying to wake you up to seeing things rightly." takes it beyond just sharing personal experience. It's provoking and argumentative.

It's not really fair for someone to make provoking argumentative statements at someone, and then have the victim card played by or for that person, when the inevitable argument starts, is it?

bethannny wrote:
I personally don't see a "cure" as possible, not that I don't want it. No amount of research can rewire a brain. And there is no DBS-like procedure for Autism.

It's all purely hypothetical, so it shouldn't matter whether or not someone ops for a hypothetical cure. There's no logical objection to that

The objection is when someone describes autism in unrealistic terms and tells others they're wrong in their far more realistic assessment of the disorder/disability.

Raleigh wrote:
^ Painful is right.

It's like a man on crutches telling a paraplegic he's not trying hard enough.

Good analogy.

And in some cases it's not even people on crutches, it's people saying autism amounts to having angel wings.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 4:04 am

Due to the bickering, and high number of reports, topic locked.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)