My letter to autism speaks. I reject a cure.

Page 6 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2016, 7:28 pm

AJ you sadden me. But I guess I was right. I'm not wanted, but I'm not going to let people like you push me out or make me leave. You want to hate me? Fine, but then that's on you. I'm not responsible for your anger or bitterness and neither is autism. That's just you I guess. A horribly bitter person. Oh the nerve of me to suggest that maybe autism isn't an all evil monster. The nerve of me to suggest that maybe loving and excepting ourselves is better than eradicating an entire group! Wow! Ok lol I know I'm right and I am only going to focus on those who support me. Your posts on MY topic will be ignored be ME and I will only respond to those who support me and who understand and are accepting. Thanks. I accept you and your autism. You and your autism are welcome to talk to me, but your attitude is not. Now @cockneyrebel I don't know if I've thank you yet for your support but I want you to know it means a lot to me so thank you :D 8) hope you are doing well!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2016, 7:39 pm

[Mod]

This is a very emotional topic. Can we all try to bear that in mind and be civil towards each other?

Both sides of this argument are welcome here. Please don't think that one or two people disagreeing with you means that your view is not appreciated. If anything, I think this site is broadly of the opinion that they wouldn't deny others the choice but they also wouldn't take the cure themselves.

Personal attacks are not welcome here. Please do not call each other bitter or idiotic or arrogant. Threads which degenerate into personal attacks may be locked.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 10:17 pm

I feel that it was very brave of you to post your letter for everyone to see. I also agree with the things you said in your letter. I also think you're a Sweet Pea and you're wanted here in my books.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Nov 2016, 9:21 am

I really hate the idea that the only people who don't want to be cured are "high functioning", and that "low functioning" people are pro-cure.

Firstly, those terms aren't especially helpful. Secondly, have you actually asked "low functioning" people whether they want a cure, or are you making assumptions and speaking for them?

There are lots of autistic people all over the spectrum who do not want to be cured. Equally, there are people all over the spectrum who do want to be cured. It is nothing to do with symptom severity.

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2016, 10:17 am

Thank you @cocknerebel. And to you and all my supporters, I really appreciate that. I will stay :D . Could I ask a favour? I know you don't know me and it's absolutely okay if you don't want to, but I was wondering, could you copy and paste and print my letter so as to share it with others? I fell the more people who read it the better. Not just those with autism but NTs as well? I'd greatly appreciate it if you would. It would mean so much to me. An

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 10:06 pm

waterstar0610 wrote:
AJ you sadden me. But I guess I was right. I'm not wanted, but I'm not going to let people like you push me out or make me leave. You want to hate me? Fine, but then that's on you. I'm not responsible for your anger or bitterness and neither is autism. That's just you I guess. A horribly bitter person. Oh the nerve of me to suggest that maybe autism isn't an all evil monster. The nerve of me to suggest that maybe loving and excepting ourselves is better than eradicating an entire group! Wow! Ok lol I know I'm right and I am only going to focus on those who support me. Your posts on MY topic will be ignored be ME and I will only respond to those who support me and who understand and are accepting.

Ok, you want to talk messages? Here's the message I'm getting from you: that anyone who has a problem with their autism is defective. That they have something wrong with them that somehow makes them not love a condition which causes them suffering. That they must all be full of hatred and bitterness, because the do not see the One True Faith of Neurodiversity as their only salvation. You seem to believe that anyone who would rather not have autism wishes it to be wiped from the face of the Earth. There can be no compromise. No other view.

Your message appears to be that I and anyone who agrees with me is wrong. That you know better than we do. That you are empowered to speak for us, since we do not know well enough to speak for ourselves.

If I'm getting this wrong, please let me know. That's how you're coming across though. I accept my autism. It's a part of my life and one I have had decades to come to terms with. I have my own perspectives on it, and you have been extremely dismissive of them.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 3:23 am

I'm going to be perfectly blunt here.

I have serious autism. It was something picked up on almost immediately after I was born and fully diagnosed before I was three. I have spent my entire life in special care and in special schools for autism.

To me a lot of times it seems like from my perspective, people talk about autism like someone slightly hard of hearing talking about being deaf. Or like someone with astigmatism talking about being blind.

For them autism seems more like a novelty, rather than what's supposed to be; which is a debilitating neurological disorder. AJisHere is someone I relate to very well. Others here I barely relate to, if at all. That doesn't mean I don't value them as members of WP. But I do not think they suffer from any form of serious autism and don't have a genuine grasp on what that's like. For them it seems more to be an aspect of their personality than the awful disability that I suffer from greatly daily.

That's medically suffer neurologically. Not suffering because I don't have the right attitude or whatever. That's nonsense.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 3:37 am

EzraS wrote:

I have serious autism. It was something picked up on almost immediately after I was born and fully diagnosed before I was three. I have spent my entire life in special care and in special schools for autism.

To me a lot if times it seems like from my perspective, people talk about autism like someone slightly hard of hearing talking about being deaf. Or like someone with astigmatism talking about being blind.

For them autism seems more like a novelty, rather than what's supposed to be; which is a debilitating neurological disorder. AJisHere is someone I relate to very well. Others here I nearly relate to at all, if at all. That doesn't mean I don't value them as members of WP. But I do not think they suffer from any kind of hardcore autism and don't have a grasp on what it's like. For them it seems more to be an aspect of their personality than the awful disability that I suffer from greatly daily.

That's medically suffer neurologically. Not suffering because I don't have the right attitude or whatever. That's nonsense.

Thank you for sharing that, Ezra! :) I certainly can't pretend to know what it's like for you, but I can relate on some level to feeling like I am impaired by autism even if it is to a lesser degree. It is important to note that this is a spectrum, and that people on various parts of it will have very different experiences. As Walrus points out, even people on the same area of that spectrum may have vastly different perspectives and needs, and relate to it in different ways. I do try to acknowledge this; I don't wish to force my attitudes and views on others, because their life with autism is sure to be different from my own and they will have their own needs and desires.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 5:57 am

AJisHere wrote:
EzraS wrote:

To me a lot if times it seems like from my perspective, people talk about autism like someone slightly hard of hearing talking about being deaf. Or like someone with astigmatism talking about being blind.

For them autism seems more like a novelty, rather than what's supposed to be; which is a debilitating neurological disorder. AJisHere is someone I relate to very well. Others here I nearly relate to at all, if at all. That doesn't mean I don't value them as members of WP. But I do not think they suffer from any kind of hardcore autism and don't have a grasp on what it's like. For them it seems more to be an aspect of their personality than the awful disability that I suffer from greatly daily.

Thank you for sharing that, Ezra! :) I certainly can't pretend to know what it's like for you, but I can relate on some level to feeling like I am impaired by autism even if it is to a lesser degree. It is important to note that this is a spectrum, and that people on various parts of it will have very different experiences. As Walrus points out, even people on the same area of that spectrum may have vastly different perspectives and needs, and relate to it in different ways. I do try to acknowledge this; I don't wish to force my attitudes and views on others, because their life with autism is sure to be different from my own and they will have their own needs and desires.

I think we are pretty much on the same page. Your sig alone tells me that. And I'm not saying mine or yours is the only acceptable way to view one's autism. But it is a type of view based on suffering.

Now my life isn't some world of nothing but suffering and pain. I'm also pampered and privileged. I have great parents who really understand autism. My good online friend says he envies me in a way because I lead a sheltered and protected life, while he's on his own at a young age slugging it out in a harsh world he doesn't fit into (he's NT but has other issues). I'm told by people like my occupational therapist that I have a good attitude regarding my autism and even have a sense of humour about it.

But it is a serious neurological disorder and disability. And to me, those diagnosed with it, who can't say that first and foremost that's what autism is, it makes me think either they don't really have it, or don't have it to any significant degree, or they're in denial, or they're delusional.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 9:31 am

AJisHere wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Yes, thank you both for sharing. Long clear posts like these are time consuming and difficult for me to write myself. So, thank you for writing what I am thinking. :wink:

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2016, 10:27 am

@katy_rome , @CockneyRebel , @Spiderpig , and @ arachnids i know its still november but i want to wish you all an ACCEPTING and LOVING (of yourselves, Your autism, and the incredible persons it makes you) neurodiverse Holiday season. Heres a christmas ornament of stimtastic, auti and asper amazing happiness. Im sending it your way. Happy holdiay, or merry christmas or happy whatever you celebrate come this time of year! Your support means the world!! Again dont listen to those who dont get it. Educate those who are willing to listen and not as set in their thoughts as some, spread my letter to who ever will read it (just give me the credit ;) ) and have an awesome time with friends and family or whoever your spending it with even if its just yourself! My thoughts and warm wishes are sent to you! :heart: :heart: :D :D

https://rlv.zcache.co.uk/neurodiversity ... vr_324.jpg :santa: :santa: :santa: :santa: :sunny:

Last edited by waterstar0610 on 17 Nov 2016, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 11:56 am

Dear waterstar0610, I just want you to know that even though I view my autism differently than you view your autism, I am happy that you can be accepting of it and loving of yourself. Though I hope for a cure for those of us who are suffering from it, I am accepting of you, and all of us with autism, as we currently are. I hope you find acceptance from everyone that you meet; we all deserve more acceptance.

If you have no need or desire for a cure, I would gladly stand by you and fight with you against anyone that would try to force one on you. But, at the same time, any research that searches for a cure (which I want for myself) also has the potential to bring more understanding of autism and therefore autistics (which I want for everyone).

I hope you, and everyone on Wrong Planet, has a very happy holiday. :heart: :santa: :rendeer:

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 12:07 pm

EzraS wrote:
But I do not think they suffer from any form of serious autism.

When you say that, are you questioning their diagnoses implying they do not have an ASD or just that it's more of a quirk for them to a point it's just an annoyance but it doesn't disable them and stop them from living a normal life where they don't need care givers or a group home?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 1:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
EzraS wrote:
But I do not think they suffer from any form of serious autism.

When you say that, are you questioning their diagnoses implying they do not have an ASD or just that it's more of a quirk for them to a point it's just an annoyance but it doesn't disable them and stop them from living a normal life where they don't need care givers or a group home?

First of all anything I'm saying along these lines is my personal interpretation, not intended as some kind of scientific guideline. And I'm perfectly open minded to being shown that my personal interpretations of whatever are incorrect.

Not that they don't have ASD (not counting WP's trolls). Not everyone has a form of serious autism. By serious, I mean a form that's debilitating, that has a significant negative impact. That doesn't mean low functioning. I've read plenty of very high functioning level 1 aspies who describe their autism in such ways.

However there are apparently some who don't suffer from it all according to them and autism should rather be viewed as a rainbows and sunshine miracle super power whatever. They're just not the first ones I'd personally pick to represent the autism community as a whole when it comes to seeking a cure (that most likely will never happen anyways). And frankly again, entirely personally, those giving such glowing report of what a spectacular experience autism is supposed to be, makes me wonder what's going on with them. I mean come on. A line has to be drawn somewhere. A spectrum that reaches out to infinity goes too far.

Maybe the DSM folks should just come up with a separate diagnosis for this ultra positive fabulous version some describe. Give it an entirely different name like, Euphoria Wonderpower.

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2016, 1:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I think we are pretty much on the same page. Your sig alone tells me that. And I'm not saying mine or yours is the only acceptable way to view one's autism. But it is a type of view based on suffering.

Now my life isn't some world of nothing but suffering and pain. I'm also pampered and privileged. I have great parents who really understand autism. My good online friend says he envies me in a way because I lead a sheltered and protected life, while he's on his own at a young age slugging it out in a harsh world he doesn't fit into (he's NT but has other issues). I'm told by people like my occupational therapist that I have a good attitude regarding my autism and even have a sense of humour about it.

But it is a serious neurological disorder and disability. And to me, those diagnosed with it, who can't say that first and foremost that's what autism is, it makes me think either they don't really have it, or don't have it to any significant degree, or they're in denial, or they're delusional.

Please also remember that some of us older autistic's that were on the so called "higher end" of the spectrum still have very significant issues yet we were not diagnosed at the time due to the fact that when I was young asperger syndrome was unknown in the USA due to Kanner only recognising the "lowest functioning" end of the spectrum so many on the "higher end" of the spectrum got zero support. I woyld like to mention that Kanner knew of aspergers work & that autism was a,spectrum disorder but purpously limited the autism diagnosis to the very "lowest functioning" autistics. Instead we were just looked at as weird or lazy if we couldn't do the same as our piers & in some cases punished severely as I was for poor performance no matter how hard I tried. Eventually I would give up trying as the punishment was no worse for not trying as it was for working as hard as I could but still not meeting expectations.

Due to this I suffer from moderately severe PTSD, anxiety & depression.

There is things I would love to do but in spite of having a good mechanical comprehension as well as a basic conceptual knowledge of physics I can't back it up with the necessary math skills needed. This is one area where I'm not only somewhat slow but suffer from very emotional flashbacks due to the beatings I received due to my difficulties with algebra.

It is not easy for us on the higher functioning end of the spectrum due to a severe lack of support & a lot of us older autistic slipped through the cracks so to speak. It is now too late for many of us to get therapy or understanding may have helped us when we were young.

My autism is of the PDD/NOS type at least by DSM 4 standards, DSM 5 is just ASD. I do have some intellectual shortcomings but also have some very good abilities as well but found that I have significant difficulty making use of those abilities. Consequently even though I'm now able to work my outook on life in general is not much improved over yours Ezra. I will likely never be able to do the things I really want to do due to not having the needed supports nor having sufficient personal relationships with those most likely able to help me accomplish them.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 1:55 pm

germanium wrote:
EzraS wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Please also remember that some of us older autistic's that were on the so called "higher end" of the spectrum still have very significant issues yet we were not diagnosed at the time due to the fact that when I was young asperger syndrome was unknown in the USA due to Kanner only recognising the "lowest functioning" end of the spectrum so many on the "higher end" of the spectrum got zero support. I woyld like to mention that Kanner knew of aspergers work & that autism was a,spectrum disorder but purpously limited the autism diagnosis to the very "lowest functioning" autistics. Instead we were just looked at as weird or lazy if we couldn't do the same as our piers & in some cases punished severely as I was for poor performance no matter how hard I tried. Eventually I would give up trying as the punishment was no worse for not trying as it was for working as hard as I could but still not meeting expectations.

Due to this I suffer from moderately severe PTSD, anxiety & depression.

There is things I would love to do but in spite of having a good mechanical comprehension as well as a basic conceptual knowledge of physics I can't back it up with the necessary math skills needed. This is one area where I'm not only somewhat slow but suffer from very emotional flashbacks due to the beatings I received due to my difficulties with algebra.

It is not easy for us on the higher functioning end of the spectrum due to a severe lack of support & a lot of us older autistic slipped through the cracks so to speak. It is now too late for many of us to get therapy or understanding may have helped us when we were young.

My autism is of the PDD/NOS type at least by DSM 4 standards, DSM 5 is just ASD. I do have some intellectual shortcomings but also have some very good abilities as well but found that I have significant difficulty making use of those abilities. Consequently even though I'm now able to work my outook on life in general is not much improved over yours Ezra. I will likely never be able to do the things I really want to do due to not having the needed supports nor having sufficient personal relationships with those most likely able to help me accomplish them.

People who describe having significant issues are not who I'm talking about at all. Lower end, higher end makes no difference. It's the result and the effect that matters. It's a realistic interpretation of what autism is that matters. What you've had to endure sucks. I feel bad for anyone with any level of Aspergers or PDD who were children before these significant conditions were recognized. I have no doubt it's been a living hell.