My letter to autism speaks. I reject a cure.

Page 1 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2016, 8:38 am

Hi all, just wanted to share this letter. Please don't bash as hateful comments will be ignored. Shared this with my local m.p, m.p.p and will be sharing with other politicians.
Please share this with as many people as you can. The only way to change society's views of us is to influence as many people as possible and get political.

Dear Autism Speaks, I am writing to you because I have only recently found out about your charity and I have somethings to say to you regarding you and the controversy surrounding you and your search for a "cure". I also wish to share my story with you so that you might understand better a little bit about me and who I am. Here we go! I am a 23 year old, woman who was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome at the age of 20. At age 8 I was diagnosed with non verbal learning disability. I always knew and felt there was something else going on besides the non verbal learning disorder,so I went, with the continued support of my family and best friend, who is now my husband in search of a diagnoses. I got one, and now at age 23 I have been told by my psychiatrist that I have generalized anxiety as well. When I told my family and husband about my diagnoses they simply said "wow. That explains a lot but we always knew your mind was special sweetheart. We would never ever want you to change." I am a very active young girl. I am cute and funny, and I like to do a lot of different stuff. I like to swim, and horse back ride (western) and well as grooming and working with horses, I like being charitable, and I like reading, and playing board games like connect 4 and cards on rainy days or even outside on nice days. I like being at the beach in the summer and playing with silly putty. I Iike using calming, sensory apps on my iPad and a weighted blanket, weather I need it or not. Sometimes I just want to use them to use them and it's great to know I can. I enjoy my neurofeedback therapy each week and I like to work hard, in all my endeavours. I have heard many things about you and felt it's important that you know and understand my view on things. I have come to realize a lot over that past 3 years and one thing is that if I could choose to have Asperger's or not, I'd choose to have it hands down. It's a big part of who I am and without it I wouldn't be me. Frankly it's in a strange way kind of nice to feel different and special. I'm not saying that it doesn't bring challenges, of course it does but it brings a lot of good points too. For example, I may interpret things literally and be a bit naive but this creates a mind that I have where I'm very honest, so you don't ever have to worry about me lying. Lying and being literal and logical don't mix. You can't be both at the same time. Another example is that I may not understand social cues very well, but this enables me to have retained a lot of my innocence. Or I may have trouble making eye contact and have sensory challenges but this gives me an appreciation for well made fabrics and items, like well made sunglasses that are comfortable to wear and fabrics that don't have unnecessary things like extra tags and extra seams, which are not only uncomfortable but a waste of time and money for the maker. If i tell others not to buy these items and other people with autism do too, that's a lot less money for the maker who then has to change the way they make their products to compete, which means better quality products and better prices for everyone in the end. If you took away my Aspergers you'd change me. I'd be somebody else and frankly I like being me. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being NT but by the same token I don't believe there's anything inherently "Wrong" with being autistic either. I do need certain supports and certain accommodations need to be made for me but I feel others should be happy to make them and should celebrate different types of neurology. I am not an abomination or a sick person who needs to be fixed or cured. I'm happy the way I am, with who I am and I need simply to be understood and accepted. Autism is not a tragedy or disease it is simply a different form of neurology and should be understood and celebrated as such. There are many challenges as my NT husband will tell you with being NT as well but you don't see us with autism trying to "cure" you. "Curing" us is prejudiced and ignorant and useless, and really selfish on the part of those who see us as a burden. I am not a burden nor is any other autistic person.NT people need supports too, just not as many as those with autism do, but so what? Just give us the supports we need and be happy to do it. Why is that so hard? Those with autism need to be loved and accepted as we are not viewed as burdens to society and that they need to fix us. I know for myself, I hate that attitude. If loving and accepting us as we are means providing those with autism extra supports and resources at homeIn school and in the work place than just be happy to do it for us and quit being so selfish. Honestly I don't want to be "cured" I love who I am and with the right support I can be fully functional and independent as can every person with autism. I reject the idea that autism is a bad thing. It's not it's just different from NT. So I was planning on donating to you and supporting you and spreading word about your cause to everyone I meet, but I won't. Not until you stop searching for a "cure" put that "research" money instead to better use as providing supports and accommodations for those with autism in the workplace, at home, and in school. There's needs to be autism acceptance and education in which those with autism need to be a vital and integral part. Also much of that money should go to support young adults and older adults with autism. I understand the need of supports for kids and that's great, but kids grow up, and become adults. If you took the money that you spend on "research to find a cure" and put it instead to "Providing young adults and college students with autism sensory supports and understanding accommodations in the workplace and in post secondary schools across Canada" and "financial incentives to employers to hire autistic people." I guarantee you the people who are trying to boycott you would change their tune, and the severely low and ever dwindling employment rates of people with autism would skyrocket and everyone would be much better off. Plus I along with my family, would then be willing to spread the word about you and to donate and support you. Also please help us reclaim the puzzle piece as something positive. A symbol that like puzzle pieces we are all shaped different but that's okay as we all fit together in the puzzle of society or something positive, along those lines.We don't need to be changed, fixed or cured.
We are not a mystery or lost. We need acceptance and understanding. I hope you understand and take what I say to heart because I really do think you could be a great charity and truly "speak" for those with autism and their families, and I'm very sad that at this time I must choose not to support you as all I hear that you are doing is wasting money trying to find a "cure" that we don't need and that you see autism as a horrid thing that destroys lives. It's not. It's something that makes me different from you and it's only a bad thing if you are selfish, prejudiced, and see giving extra support and accommodations to someone as a burden rather than as an opportunity to help and celebrate the neurological differences in society.
Thank you for reading, and I hope to hear of change, as well as hear back from you very soon. Please don't stonewall me. If your going to reply at least have the decency to thoroughly read and consider my letter first. I hope I can support you soon. I'm a proud aspie.
It's OK to be born different.
Thank you.
Sincerely,

Brittany Shand Martinat-Parker

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 8:45 am

Please don't take this the wrong way.

I think it would be better, and would more likely be taken more seriously, if you broke up what you wrote into separate paragraphs.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2016, 9:08 am

You clearly know very little about what the clear differences are between neurotypical and autistic. This letter shows a lot of naivety.

-Johnnyh

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2016, 9:21 am

I do apologize. I was In a hurry to post this but when I sent it out on paper it is in separated paragraphs. Again I apologize for the rush.

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2016, 9:26 am

@jhonny h. Clearly I do know the difference because I am autistic. In my letter I speak about sensory differences, lack of eye contact, challenges with non verbal social cues and other differences as well. You clearly only skimmed the letter and did not read and understand it thoroughly. That is ok though. I do not take offence. You are entitled to your opinion of the letter even if it is not based on all the information because you didn't read and understand it thoroughly.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 4:47 pm

I would like to read this Waterstar, though I can't read walls of text, and this affects many members here. It is too distracting for us. If you are willing for me to insert paragraph spaces (I am a mod here), let me know and will do, then a lot more members will read and perhaps respond to it.

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2016, 6:06 pm

I would love to insert spaces for paragraphs but how do I edit it?

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2016, 6:15 pm

Reposting of letter with spaces provided. I Hope this is better. Is this easier to read?

Hi all, just wanted to share this letter. Please don't bash as hateful comments will be ignored. Shared this with my local m.p, m.p.p and will be sharing with other politicians.
Please share this with as many people as you can. The only way to change society's views of us is to influence as many people as possible and get political.

Dear Autism Speaks, I am writing to you because I have only recently found out about your charity and I have somethings to say to you regarding you and the controversy surrounding you and your search for a "cure". I also wish to share my story with you so that you might understand better a little bit about me and who I am. Here we go!

I am a 23 year old, woman who was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome at the age of 20. At age 8 I was diagnosed with non verbal learning disability. I always knew and felt there was something else going on besides the non verbal learning disorder,so I went, with the continued support of my family and best friend, who is now my husband in search of a diagnoses. I got one, and now at age 23 I have been told by my psychiatrist that I have generalized anxiety as well.

When I told my family and husband about my diagnoses they simply said "wow. That explains a lot but we always knew your mind was special sweetheart. We would never ever want you to change." I am a very active young girl. I am cute and funny, and I like to do a lot of different stuff. I like to swim, and horse back ride (western) and well as grooming and working with horses, I like being charitable, and I like reading, and playing board games like connect 4 and cards on rainy days or even outside on nice days. I like being at the beach in the summer and playing with silly putty.

I Iike using calming, sensory apps on my iPad and a weighted blanket, weather I need it or not. Sometimes I just want to use them to use them and it's great to know I can.

I enjoy my neurofeedback therapy each week and I like to work hard, in all my endeavours.

I have heard many things about you and felt it's important that you know and understand my view on things. I have come to realize a lot over that past 3 years and one thing is that if I could choose to have Asperger's or not, I'd choose to have it hands down. It's a big part of who I am and without it I wouldn't be me. Frankly it's in a strange way kind of nice to feel different and special.

I'm not saying that it doesn't bring challenges, of course it does but it brings a lot of good points too. For example, I may interpret things literally and be a bit naive but this creates a mind that I have where I'm very honest, so you don't ever have to worry about me lying. Lying and being literal and logical don't mix. You can't be both at the same time. Another example is that I may not understand social cues very well, but this enables me to have retained a lot of my innocence. Or I may have trouble making eye contact and have sensory challenges but this gives me an appreciation for well made fabrics and items, like well made sunglasses that are comfortable to wear and fabrics that don't have unnecessary things like extra tags and extra seams, which are not only uncomfortable but a waste of time and money for the maker. If i tell others not to buy these items and other people with autism do too, that's a lot less money for the maker who then has to change the way they make their products to compete, which means better quality products and better prices for everyone in the end.

If you took away my Aspergers you'd change me. I'd be somebody else and frankly I like being me. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being NT but by the same token I don't believe there's anything inherently "Wrong" with being autistic either. I do need certain supports and certain accommodations need to be made for me but I feel others should be happy to make them and should celebrate different types of neurology. I am not an abomination or a sick person who needs to be fixed or cured. I'm happy the way I am, with who I am and I need simply to be understood and accepted. Autism is not a tragedy or disease it is simply a different form of neurology and should be understood and celebrated as such.

There are many challenges as my NT husband will tell you with being NT as well but you don't see us with autism trying to "cure" you. "Curing" us is prejudiced and ignorant and useless, and really selfish on the part of those who see us as a burden. I am not a burden nor is any other autistic person.NT people need supports too, just not as many as those with autism do, but so what? Just give us the supports we need and be happy to do it. Why is that so hard? Those with autism need to be loved and accepted as we are not viewed as burdens to society and that they need to fix us. I know for myself, I hate that attitude.

If loving and accepting us as we are means providing those with autism extra supports and resources at home, in school and in the work place than just be happy to do it for us and quit being so selfish.

Honestly I don't want to be "cured" I love who I am and with the right support I can be fully functional and independent as can every person with autism. I reject the idea that autism is a bad thing. It's not it's just different from NT.

So I was planning on donating to you and supporting you and spreading word about your cause to everyone I meet, but I won't. Not until you stop searching for a "cure" put that "research" money instead to better use as providing supports and accommodations for those with autism in the workplace, at home, and in school. There needs to be autism acceptance and education in which those with autism need to be a vital and integral part.

Also much of that money should go to support young adults and older adults with autism. I understand the need of supports for kids and that's great, but kids grow up, and become adults. If you took the money that you spend on "research to find a cure" and put it instead to "Providing young adults and college students with autism sensory supports and understanding accommodations in the workplace and in post secondary schools across Canada" and "financial incentives to employers to hire autistic people." I guarantee you the people who are trying to boycott you would change their tune, and the severely low and ever dwindling employment rates of people with autism would skyrocket and everyone would be much better off. Plus I along with my family, would then be willing to spread the word about you and to donate and support you.

Also please help us reclaim the puzzle piece as something positive. A symbol that like puzzle pieces we are all shaped different but that's okay as we all fit together in the puzzle of society or something positive, along those lines.We don't need to be changed, fixed or cured.

We are not a mystery or lost. We need acceptance and understanding. I hope you understand and take what I say to heart because I really do think you could be a great charity and truly "speak" for those with autism and their families, and I'm very sad that at this time I must choose not to support you as all I hear that you are doing is wasting money trying to find a "cure" that we don't need and that you see autism as a horrid thing that destroys lives. It's not. It's something that makes me different from you and it's only a bad thing if you are selfish, prejudiced, and see giving extra support and accommodations to someone as a burden rather than as an opportunity to help and celebrate the neurological differences in society.

Thank you for reading, and I hope to hear of change, as well as hear back from you very soon. Please don't stonewall me. If your going to reply at least have the decency to thoroughly read and consider my letter first. I hope I can support you soon. I'm a proud aspie.
It's OK to be born different.
Thank you.
Sincerely,

Brittany Shand Martinat-Parker

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 6:20 pm

The software allows members a certain amount of time to edit posts (I'm not sure exactly how long this is). Moderators and the Administrator can edit posts beyond the time limits.

Good on you for writing to A$ (as some of us refer to them here). They can only benefit from a dose of reality from time to time and if this encourages others to do the same, then well and good, IMO.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 6:26 pm

Personally, I would like to have acceptance and accommodations AND treatments or cure, as available. And, unless I am the only one who thinks so, I hope they continue to search for treatments and cures for those who want it.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 6:27 pm

If Autism Speaks wouldn't paint autism as some heinous "disease," have autistic people working within their organization, and acknowledge, in general, the nature of the Autistic Spectrum, then I would have more regard for this organization.

The fact that they don't believe autistic people can speak for themselves "speaks" volumes.

Many times, when you "cure" autism, you take away the essence of the person.

The emphasis in research should be on the mitigation and amelioration of negative symptoms, rather than a full-blown "cure."

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 6:36 pm

AS = patronising, paternalistic, profit making; insulting, invalidating, invidious; misleading, misguided, and moneyhungry.

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Sep 2016, 6:57 pm

They will probably thank you for writing and put you on their solicitation list for donations.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 7:03 pm

This letter on behalf of combined organisations was also sent to AS sponsors as a protest:

viewtopic.php?t=109103

I assume that a list of sponsors can be found on the main AS page, should anyone be interested in this approach.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 7:05 pm

I have a feeling that the ultimate "cure" that NT's want for autism is the same way that Hitler tried to "cure" Jews, or the way that Downs Syndrome is currently being "cured". Meaning that once these groups find out how to test for autism, in the womb and/or outside of it, that a "final solution" consisting of de facto genocide will be applied. Just imagine if the Nazis had the gene testing abilities that we have today, and forced everybody to do the test, and if you were 1% Jewish you and your family "disappeared". Today, every fetus is tested for Downs, and over 90% of women choose to abort babies who test positive. Now imagine that there is a test for autism too, and babies who test positive are subject to mandatory abortion. And then once there is a test for every genetic malady, everybody with them will be culled, and then we will have a "perfect" humanity. Remember the movie Gattaca?

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 7:33 pm

This is just one person's opinion, but a condition such as autism, that is woven into the very fabric of someone's being shouldn't be seen as something in need of a 'cure.'