One way to push the U.S. toward metric right now

Page 5 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 5:36 am

It appears one big reason the conversion attempt in the 1970s failed was because there was too much emphasis on conversion formulas between customary and metric, which over-complicates things. Instead, when we convert, we should just switch to straight up metric and use conversion formulas only when absolutely necessary. The best way to learn metric is to get a feel for metric units, to have that intuition of the approximate weight or measure of something, and you do that by using it without relying on a customary crutch:

Quote:
I’m not sure how or why, but the friend I was staying with had some old U.S.-to-metric conversion slide rules imprinted with the Detroit Teachers Credit Union logo and a copyright of 1973.

One of the complaints that I’ve heard while on this project has been that our last attempt to convert to the metric system back in the mid-1970s spent too much time trying to teach people conversion formulas. Transitioning this way is actually quite complicated because there are so many formulas to memorize because we use so many different units (feet, pounds, ounces, gallons, ounces, etc.). The image to the right only captures part of the problem.

Any future plans to adopt the metric system would benefit from just straight measurement using the metric system, rather than trying to teach very complex and lengthy sets of conversion factors. (Only convert when absolutely necessary, like your grandma’s favorite recipes.)

Complicated "conversion helper":

https://milebehind.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... ic-system/

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 6:05 am

Theres also the Mars Climate Orbiter which was lost due to a discrepancy in units being used between Lockheed Martin and NASA. It was a $125 million dollar mistake.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Oct 2016, 8:07 am

It doesn't matter how much better you think it is if people don't want to change, if it was too much of a disruption then Americans would simply vote to get rid of it. There has to be a benefit to regular people otherwise they're going to tell you to pound sand, they don't care if it's used in STEM. Last year Rasmussen asked the question and put it a t 21% supporting metrication, 64% opposing, 15% undecided. Trying to force a change would result in a major backlash, I think the push in the 70s is a big reason why 64% oppose is so high so to go even further with that line of thinking definitely wouldn't work. Should we have metric time and the decabet too? :P There's no legal way for the US to mandate the metric system either. There has to be an incentive or a tangible benefit, find the dollar amount or tell us how many jobs it would produce. If it can't provide a benefit to 95% of Americans then they won't do it.

Also not sure I buy that teaching both makes them weaker at both, that was what was thought originally with language but we now know that isn't true and the brain benefits from bilingualism. Perhaps the US should put more pressure on it's partners to adopt our system of measurement, we have the biggest economy in the world and the most influential culture so it wouldn't be too hard. I know the UK is sort of wavering a bit now that they've voted to leave the EU.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 11:43 am

Jacoby wrote:
It doesn't matter how much better you think it is if people don't want to change, if it was too much of a disruption then Americans would simply vote to get rid of it. There has to be a benefit to regular people otherwise they're going to tell you to pound sand, they don't care if it's used in STEM. Last year Rasmussen asked the question and put it a t 21% supporting metrication, 64% opposing, 15% undecided. Trying to force a change would result in a major backlash, I think the push in the 70s is a big reason why 64% oppose is so high so to go even further with that line of thinking definitely wouldn't work. Should we have metric time and the decabet too? :P There's no legal way for the US to mandate the metric system either. There has to be an incentive or a tangible benefit, find the dollar amount or tell us how many jobs it would produce. If it can't provide a benefit to 95% of Americans then they won't do it.

Also not sure I buy that teaching both makes them weaker at both, that was what was thought originally with language but we now know that isn't true and the brain benefits from bilingualism. Perhaps the US should put more pressure on it's partners to adopt our system of measurement, we have the biggest economy in the world and the most influential culture so it wouldn't be too hard. I know the UK is sort of wavering a bit now that they've voted to leave the EU.

You think the U.S. should pressure other countries to adopt U.S. customary units. Why? What would be in it for these other countries?

What would be the benefit of retooling STEM and medicine to U.S. customary?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 11:56 am

beneficii wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Where is your evidence that using both customary and metric is the same as being bilingual? I've posted research on this thread, at multiple points, showing that, actually, using both customary and metric is confusing and can have disastrous consequences. It's not like being bilingual in that regard. Unless you have research to back up your point, my point stands.

You think the U.S. should pressure other countries to adopt U.S. customary units. Why? What would be in it for these other countries?

What would be the benefit of retooling STEM and medicine to U.S. customary?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Oct 2016, 12:13 pm

I likened it to bilingualism since the accepted belief at one time was that it was detrimental to ones development for the same reasons you listed but brain studies have shown that not to be true so it would seem logical that someone fluent in both metric and customary could have the same benefits. It's just another language is it not? I don't know if anybody has done a study on the brains of people that fluent in both and those that only know one, I think it would be interesting.

As for why we should pressure other countries to adopt our form of weights and measurements, I don't know because they put pressure on us to learn theirs? Perhaps some reciprocation is in order on their end. Customary units are preferable for a lot of things, it's not going away and I don't know why people want to damn it to the dustbin of history. What about diversity? I don't see why STEM and medicine have to determine everything we do, the evidence shows that people will use metric for things where it has a better utility such as in those areas.

I think the problem is that American public education is so garbage that they can't teach anything well let alone metric.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 12:38 pm

So far the discussion has been on an intellectual level. Perhaps we need to look at this subject from a practical point of view??? Perhaps we can just look at light bulbs, something everyone is familiar with.

If we adopt metrics we'll find a metric light bulb won't screw into my bedside lamp. So now I either have to replace ALL the light fixtures in my home (including those in my flashlight and refrigerator, etc.), or buy a special adapter to try to fit the new bulbs in place. What's that you say? Just use both systems until the original fixture or appliance wears out (?)....my lamps, flashlights, (and etc.) won't wear out for many many years...will suppliers have to stock dual parts for decades? What about people who can't afford to go out and buy new items???

In the above example I've barely touched the subject of light bulbs and already there's a problem. And this is one of the tiniest and and simplest examples...imagine doing this with almost everything in your sight...it's unbelievably huge, and for those who can't grasp large numbers, perhaps look up at the stars at night for a comparison.

I don't know if anyone has determined the cost to change but it would be billions and billions. Instead let's do due diligence by making sure the kids in school today know how to convert and become familiar with conversions to avoid errors, and increase training and testing for people in health fields This was done in the '50s and again in the '70s when there was a push for metrics so there's no reason this can't be taught in classrooms today (or perhaps it already is).

The ability to understand and use different types of language in measurement is the same as learning two different spoken languages; it affects the user positively. If this were not the case we'd probably all be speaking Esperanto, but since we're not this bears out the decision by most people to avoid change unless there is an overriding positive benefit in sight, which in this situation, there is not, only huge added expense.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 12:47 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I likened it to bilingualism since the accepted belief at one time was that it was detrimental to ones development for the same reasons you listed but brain studies have shown that not to be true so it would seem logical that someone fluent in both metric and customary could have the same benefits. It's just another language is it not? I don't know if anybody has done a study on the brains of people that fluent in both and those that only know one, I think it would be interesting.

As for why we should pressure other countries to adopt our form of weights and measurements, I don't know because they put pressure on us to learn theirs? Perhaps some reciprocation is in order on their end. Customary units are preferable for a lot of things, it's not going away and I don't know why people want to damn it to the dustbin of history. What about diversity? I don't see why STEM and medicine have to determine everything we do, the evidence shows that people will use metric for things where it has a better utility such as in those areas.

I think the problem is that American public education is so garbage that they can't teach anything well let alone metric.

I must agree. Of the teachers I had throughout school I'd say perhaps a half dozen (not very metric I'm afraid) were good teachers who could really get students interested in learning, and who seemed interested in the students. The rest seemed to be marking time until the next escape to the teacher's lounge, and didn't show much interest in student's achievements (with the exception of teacher's pet of course).

But what's the answer?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 12:53 pm

ZenDen wrote:
So far the discussion has been on an intellectual level. Perhaps we need to look at this subject from a practical point of view??? Perhaps we can just look at light bulbs, something everyone is familiar with.

If we adopt metrics we'll find a metric light bulb won't screw into my bedside lamp. So now I either have to replace ALL the light fixtures in my home (including those in my flashlight and refrigerator, etc.), or buy a special adapter to try to fit the new bulbs in place. What's that you say? Just use both systems until the original fixture or appliance wears out (?)....my lamps, flashlights, (and etc.) won't wear out for many many years...will suppliers have to stock dual parts for decades? What about people who can't afford to go out and buy new items???

In the above example I've barely touched the subject of light bulbs and already there's a problem. And this is one of the tiniest and and simplest examples...imagine doing this with almost everything in your sight...it's unbelievably huge, and for those who can't grasp large numbers, perhaps look up at the stars at night for a comparison.

I don't know if anyone has determined the cost to change but it would be billions and billions. Instead let's do due diligence by making sure the kids in school today know how to convert and become familiar with conversions to avoid errors, and increase training and testing for people in health fields This was done in the '50s and again in the '70s when there was a push for metrics so there's no reason this can't be taught in classrooms today (or perhaps it already is).

The ability to understand and use different types of language in measurement is the same as learning two different spoken languages; it affects the user positively. If this were not the case we'd probably all be speaking Esperanto, but since we're not this bears out the decision by most people to avoid change unless there is an overriding positive benefit in sight, which in this situation, there is not, only huge added expense.

If you don't have enough of a feel for metric units to recognize that an obviously wrong reading is, well, obviously wrong, then all the training in the world isn't going to help you. The only way to get a feel for it is experience, lots of it! It's obvious that with printing both customary and metric units, people will pay zero attention to the metric units, so under the current system people aren't getting a feel for those units. The way to do it is to give them that experience, to remove the customary crutch!

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

Jacoby wrote:

The research overwhelmingly shows that using multiple units for the same measurement creates confusion and mix-ups. Measurements and human languages are two totally different beasts. If you have any evidence other than speculation, we'd be happy to take a look.

And, actually, we spend more money per pupil than most other countries do (including developed countries). The problem with teaching multiple units like this, the metric system plus the fragmented customary units, is that it makes things more confusing for students. In order to tie all these different units together, you must teach conversion factors, increasing the difficulty. So before you can even get to actual measuring, you're already sinking most students by futzing around with redundant units. With metric only, you can teach the basic idea (milli- is 1/1000, kilo- is 1000/1, etc.), and get right to work. Instead, now we're wasting time futzing around with multiple units and conversion factors, which eats up classroom time.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 2:22 pm

that kind of thing has to be gradual. it takes generations and coordinated planning. it has to be consistent (or else the transition doesn't happen), but it can't be aggressive (or else there will be too much resistence). if it can't be consistent nationwide and in the long term (and patriotism in the u.s. does seem like a very significant obstacle to that), and if nobody is willing to implement a long-term plan (which nobody these days seems to care about, especially considering that politicians won't want to irk the patriotic crowd), then i think it's very unlikely that it's going to happen anytime soon, no matter what

conversion itself is very easy these days. you don't even need an app, just plain google. just google 4 in in cm and you get the answer right away. the real problem (besides near-total incompatibility between the two systems when it comes to tools and parts that require precision) is the intuitive feel, which does matter. and it's hard to learn if you're not a kid anymore

luckily the most important american unit (the inch) is pretty easy. very close to 2.5cm (exactly 2.54, when precision matters. still easy to remember). so, roughly, 4" = 10cm. other units get trickier, but inches are really the only american unit we do need to work with down south here in the other america (piping of all types, in particular, is all measured in inches afaik). for quick mental conversions just to get a rough estimate (like when watching an american movie or something), there are reasonable shortcuts. 3 feet = 1 yard ~ 1 meter, 2 pounds ~ 1 kilogram, 1 ton ~ 1 tonne, 2 fahrenheit up/down ~ 1 celsius up/down (all of these are closer to 0.9 for some reason, but rounding it up to 1 is usually good enough). and 2 miles ~ 3 kilometers

ounces and gallons though, i have no idea (it's pretty neat that 1 liter of water weighs exactly 1 kilogram. it can really come in handy sometimes). people's heights get very tricky to picture mentally (because small differences matter, and it's feet and inches combined). i just know that under 5 feet means "very short" and above 6 feet means "tall". absolute temperatures... i don't even try. i just know that f and c meet somewhere around -40, 0c (freezing point) is somewhere around 30f, standard room temperature (slightly above 20c) is somewhere around 70f, and 100f means "extremely hot weather" (somewhere around 40c). but if i want a number, i google it (because, like with people's heights, small differences usually matter)

there are actually some pre-metric units still in use here too (curiously, the symbol for one of them is @, so the name of that unit survives in popular usage as the name of that character in email addresses, which has no other usage or meaning in my language. in italian it's called a "snail" instead. cute! lol). but those units are totally obscure for anyone who doesn't work with cattle or crops (and they're probably falling out of use by now). sometimes people use informal pseudo-units like "fingers" (the width of an index finger), but i don't think there ever was a standard for those

another curious thing: did you guys know that the word "billion" actually means "trillion" in most countries? in my country it does mean a billion though. and it seems like the american meaning is gradually taking over globally (it has already been established as standard in the u.k.). i knew that there were places where it meant a trillion, but until a couple weeks ago i thought those places were the exception. in a few decades they probably will be, but so far they're not. so in most of europe, there are no billionaires. only "thousand-millionaires" or "milliardaires" instead. freaky

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 12:50 pm

beneficii wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

The research overwhelmingly shows that using multiple units for the same measurement creates confusion and mix-ups. Measurements and human languages are two totally different beasts. If you have any evidence other than speculation, we'd be happy to take a look.

And, actually, we spend more money per pupil than most other countries do (including developed countries). The problem with teaching multiple units like this, the metric system plus the fragmented customary units, is that it makes things more confusing for students. In order to tie all these different units together, you must teach conversion factors, increasing the difficulty. So before you can even get to actual measuring, you're already sinking most students by futzing around with redundant units. With metric only, you can teach the basic idea (milli- is 1/1000, kilo- is 1000/1, etc.), and get right to work. Instead, now we're wasting time futzing around with multiple units and conversion factors, which eats up classroom time.

The research overwhelmingly shows that using multiple units for the same measurement creates confusion and mix-ups (Because it isn't taught properly). Measurements and human languages are two totally different beasts (Oh, no they're not).
If you have any evidence other than speculation, we'd be happy to take a look.

Two people have already stated learning two mathematical languages is similar to learning two spoken languages; being familiar with both systems I can assert this is true. If you feel this is in error, and you have had different learning experiences then you must show how this is incorrect. You have not done so it's you who must prove these statements false (which, of course, you will be unable to do). It's a simple thing to understand actually.

Yes, it's true, some people may have a problem learning to understand both systems, but some people also have issues learning just one system. The answer for this is not to "dumb down" or take away learning opportunities from those more capable, but instead to increase the ease of those who have learning problems. It just makes good sense and makes better use of our greatest asset: people.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 12:54 pm

Hi ZenDen,

My evidence is incidents like that below.

beneficii wrote:
To prevent errors like the ones below, the Emergency Care Research Institute recommends using only kilograms to measure weight (or more properly mass) in emergency rooms and dispensing with pounds and ounces once and for all:

Quote:
In 2013, a 16-year-old high school student went into code blue after being given a massive overdose of antibiotics because of a mistake associated with a weight measurement mix-up. Fortunately, the boy recovered.

Quote:
Modern Healthcare recently reported a 2013 case in Maryland in which a couple found their 2-year-old boy unresponsive and turning blue hours after the toddler was sent home from Sinai Hospital of Baltimore's emergency department for treatment of a fractured thigh bone.

His actual weight of 35 pounds—about 16 kilograms—had erroneously been entered into the EHR as 35 kilograms during the pre-surgical admission process. The nurse hand wrote “35” onto a form without noting whether it was in pounds or kilograms. When the information was copied into the child's electronic health record, the software automatically interpreted the weight in kilograms—its default setting—or 77 pounds. The boy was prescribed more than twice the normal dose of a drug at discharge.

Emergency medical technicians raced the child back to the hospital, where he was revived and readmitted, according to a report filed with the CMS.

There are other such errors mentioned in the article. This researcher's statement is my thoughts exactly:

Quote:
“It's crazy that we still use pounds in healthcare; it's like the Stone Age,” lamented Sheila Rossi, a patient-safety analyst for the ECRI Institute, a not-for-profit based in Plymouth Meeting, Pa., that evaluates medical devices, procedures, drugs and processes. In April, ECRI listed medication errors related to confusion between the English and metric systems on its Top 10 list of patient-safety concerns for healthcare organizations. The group recommended a kilogram-only approach. “In theory, it's an easy fix,” Rossi said. "But there are hurdles.”

Source: http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article ... /150509993

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 12:55 pm

And this:

beneficii wrote:
The FDA and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend the use of metric-only instructions and dosing tools in children's medicines:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ritarubin/2 ... ecd7139643

A study found that having both metric and customary increases the number of errors parents made in the medicines they were asked to dose for their children. These errors can have consequences for children, resulting in them either receiving too little of the medicine and not benefiting or receiving too much and getting more side effects as a result. The metric-only group had fewer errors.

This shows that having both systems increases confusion and makes errors more likely. There should be only one system to eliminate this effect. Of course, it won't eliminate errors entirely, but it will make them less frequent.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 12:56 pm

And this:

beneficii wrote:
I would like to discuss an oft neglected issue involved in not using metric: If we don't use metric in our everyday lives, then it would not be intuitive to us making us less likely to catch an error using metric units. I'd like to go back to the 25 lb toddler, whose weight/mass in metric is 11.3 kg. At the hospital the child was measured on a scale using pounds, which came out to 25 lb, and the nurse was supposed to enter the weight to be converted to metric in the system. However, she did it wrong and the system read "25" as 25 kg, more than double the child's actual weight/mass of 11.3 kg! When medication was prescribed for the child, it was dosed according to the child's weight, so the child received more than double the correct dose, causing an overdose!

In other countries, where people are familiar with metric and use it in their everyday lives, they likely would have taken one look at that child and known that there was no way the child was 25 kg! They would have recognized there was an error and taken steps to correct it. The problem in America, however, is that even if we know how the metric system works we aren't very familiar with it, so we don't really have a feel for the units. Because of that, to them, 25 kg was just some number they were supposed to use: they did not realize how ridiculous the weight/mass given was, because they lacked the intuition to discern it on the spot!

What is the solution? Go to metric nationwide so people start becoming familiar with metric units, so they develop an intuition for them. That way, we can prevent other such errors from happening.

Source, which also discusses other cases where the pharmacist rather than the hospital made the error. In one case, the doctor prescribed 6 mL of a liquid medication for the child, but the pharmacy misprinted it as 6 teaspoons, which comes out to 29.38 mL! So the child received 5 times the dose they were supposed to get, resulting in a massive overdose that brought the child to the emergency room!

http://www.teammetric.org/the-metric-sy ... ealthcare/

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 12:58 pm

(See the last 3 posts on page 6.)

So show us your evidence, ZenDen, or are we supposed to depend solely on your word?