How Important Is Gender To Your Identity?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 12:15 pm

My Religious Studies professor said that gender is the most important thing that determines one's identity (one of these days we'll actually talk about religion in this class). Everybody else seemed to agree; it was not just his opinion. I'm not sure if this is an autism thing, but to me, gender is the least of my identity. Sure, I'm female, and I feel comfortable in my body (except for normal insecurities like thunder thighs), but it's never really influenced me that much. I'm sensitive and very maternal, but I will also fight if needed and I'm not afraid to speak up. I like My Little Pony and all the femininity the characters in the show possess, but I also like Star Wars and the idea of being a Jedi knight and space battles and stuff. I dress mostly gender neutral. For statistical purposes I would describe myself as female, but if somebody were to ask me how I identify myself the first thing that comes to mind isn't gender. Is this an autism thing, or am I just weird?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 12:46 pm

Gender isn't that important to me either. I've always been a tomboy. I am very maternal, and I'm hypersensitive though.

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2016, 2:59 pm

ever since i was a pretty little kid, i never really considered myself a girl? like, i knew i was but it didnt really mean much to me. eventually i found out about the gender label nonbinary (meaning not necessarily a boy/girl) and i feel like that fits me more! but to me gender doesnt make a huge difference on who i think i am if that makes sense? i think of myself as a person/kid, not anything more complicated than that!

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

░█▀▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀█
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄█▀

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 4:59 pm

I've always had crushes on feminine characters who, nevertheless, transcend feminine roles.

One example is Becky in "Tom Sawyer." She wears dresses and pigtails---but she can also repair things around the house, including (prominently) Tom Sawyer's picket fence.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 5:42 pm

I'm female.
A feminist on a personality forum once told me
that I was "too intelligent to be female" ... 8O

... Whatever. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 5:44 pm

I'm a sapio-heterosexual. I get turned on by erudite females.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 5:49 pm

I don't think of myself as a girly girl, and I don't care for men that are overly masculine. A sensitive side is a good thing.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 6:04 pm

Personally, identifying as a man is probably the first thing I'd think to identify myself as... I tend towards masculine but not nearly as much as I come off as... but having a 'manly' outward way about me is an important thing to who I am, I just have my own interpretation of what that is to some degree.

At the same time I've always preferred a woman have a healthy dose of tomboy...

I think it's for each person to decide... it's funny if this is a religion class yet he's saying gender is the most important thing to identify as... if you believe in it, wouldn't it be what religion you are would be most important? I mean, a Christian believes if you do not identify as one you go to Hell... I'd say that's far more important than what equipment you have...

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 6:34 pm

i dont think so, being a guy has never been a big part of me, like if i had to list characteristics about me i wouldnt put "is male" on there. so maybe its only a little important on who i am as a person

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

AlmostHuman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2016, 8:56 pm

Not even slightly. In fact, I wouldn't even call it an unimportant part of my identity. Gender simply doesn't factor into it at all.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 10:08 pm

I am female but that's not really the main aspect of my identity...the first thing I usually think of myself as is a metalhead because metal is a large part of my life I am quite attached to it. I don't play any instruments or anything but I listen to it a lot, look up info on it and like to watch and read interviews from bands. But yeah I find that to be more of a defining factor.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm

Gender has never been a part of my identity. Not my birth gender, anyways. It's not what's between the legs that count, It's the things you do and the clothes you wear. I walk around looking like Schultz as a way of making a point that I identify as male instead of my birth gender.

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2016, 7:35 am

Absolutely unimportant and irrelevant.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 9:20 am

I'm a girl, but I don't really think about my gender very much. I tend to just like what I like and go with that.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 9:27 am

I don't and pretty much have never identified as a female. I think because I identify outside the gender binary that such things make my gender a little more important to me then the average person.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2016, 10:15 am

Gender is not important to me, when I was young I thought we just inhabit the bodies given to us and go along with it. Like how someone doesn't choose their hair color. But after seeing the existence of transgendered people and the misery they feel, I came to understand that there is true discomfort in not being born in the correct body and gender is very vital to who a person is, I am obviously comfortable with my own gender not because of the presence of happiness being male but by the absence of unhappiness at not being female. Nature is cruel.

-Johnnyh