Can't understand what people are talking about

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Owl123
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2016, 7:55 am

Many times I was told that I am deadly quiet in a group. Some say that I'm just an "eavesdropper" - someone who would just remain listening in a group conversation whereas not sharing own experiences.

It's been a challenge for me articulating immense thoughts in my head. I really do desire conversations. But maybe something deeper than usual, something that could wholeheartedly connect us. Perhaps, such are just some reasons for me being silent in a group most of the time. Because a part of me in a verge of joining in, has to observe first before giving a say. However, it frustrates me that most of the time I really cannot grasp what they are talking about that I'd often ask again like a broken cd. Jokes are a big question mark too, especially when I am trying to make one but it turns out as corny. Idk if someone here also has similar experiences. I wanna know from you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 7:59 am

There are people who are listeners and others who are talkers.

You're a listener.

I know a listener who is a full professor and has a doctorate. It took her a while to talk well in groups.

I suck at what you suck at, by the way.

You are articulate in writing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 8:09 am

I'm also pretty silent in groups and am more of a listener.

People tend to tell me their problems - even random strangers or acquaintances I don't know very well.

As I've grown older, I've become used to this role. I used to wish I could talk more. It's hard to form friendships without being able to reveal your thoughts.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 8:24 am

I was worried about this for the longest time last year whereby I could constantly worried about whether I could make sense of what people were saying and asked whether I could articulate myself or if the words I spoke. What you might be thinking about being unable to articulate might be your thoughts getting to you rather than something that is actually real. For me I have found that a good strategy to join in is to be observant for the majority of the time and then jump in to conversation when the subject matter is one that I am interested in e.g. history, politics. That way even if I feel anxious I am able to join in a discussion and contribute allot as I have usefully picked a moment where I can share something. For me this has worked somewhat well as I have had some pretty interesting discussions with others and have been able to feel more connected to those around me. In the aftermath too I have begun to feel more able to express myself to others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 9:30 am

If I listened more, I would know more.

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2016, 3:47 pm

I think AS people get distracted with all the individual "words" and end up missing the overall 'flow' of the conversations.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:00 pm

I have a tendency to want to make statements I'm well prepared to back up. However, by the time I start to form a prepared argument, the moment passes or the topic changes.

One alternative is to just ask thoughtful questions that do not require taking a firm stance and preparing to debate or defend that stance. I have to admit, I sometimes have a hard time with this to if I just don't give a s**t about the current topic, but if it was a situation where I really wanted to participate in, I would try a simple approach of being inquisitive.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:10 pm

^^ That happens to me, too.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:29 pm

I'm like this in groups, but much more talkative and a creator of input when one-on-one or with maybe with two other people, but two is pushing it. I've never been comfortable in a group of people. I'm more able to be myself and express myself with just the one or two, as long as I'm comfortable with that person to begin with.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:34 pm

I have more of an issue of missing parts of things people said, and end up auto-responding and acting like I did hear them and hoping I don't seem rude. Like at times when it would be rude/akward to be like 'hey I just missed that last part, what did you say again.' It is a bit embarrassing too when I know I should have been paying attention.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:35 pm

^^ I do that, too!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:41 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I'm like this in groups, but much more talkative and a creator of input when one-on-one or with maybe with two other people, but two is pushing it. I've never been comfortable in a group of people. I'm more able to be myself and express myself with just the one or two, as long as I'm comfortable with that person to begin with.

Yeah , I'm the same. It's almost like groups of people overwhelm me. I believe I just think & analyse situations & conversations too much which is possible in a 1-1 situation but impossible in a group ( I become too introverted )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:49 pm

Yep, I relate to that SaveFerris, the part about "I become too introverted" -- that's me too, when in a group. I have natural introversion but it gets even worse in a group, and it actually moves closer to middle ground when with just one person.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 5:01 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Yep, I relate to that SaveFerris, the part about "I become too introverted" -- that's me too, when in a group. I have natural introversion but it gets even worse in a group, and it actually moves closer to middle ground when with just one person.

Do you attribute that to your ASD or your comorbids or is it a mix?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Maxima12
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2016, 5:06 pm

I usually don't talk when I am in group, I can't mind-connect well with others in group, so I prefer being with one, or maximum 2 people.

N8solano
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2016, 6:05 pm

It just seems like you have trouble with small talk. I have trouble as well.

As far as deep conversations go, most NTs don't seem interested in deep conversations. They prefer various conversational threads that don't require them to think a lot (from what I notice).