Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 3:39 pm

I only shop maybe 3 times a year and thats a maybe. I only go if I have to like if all my clothes starting shrinking on me. I'm still growing and I'm 22, it sucks, just this year my hips starting emerging and I was happy, but also upset that now I have to go buy all new pants. Anyways I went shopping today, I either go with a friend, or my boyfriend, or my mother and very rare occasions with my brother. Today I went with my mother and it was okay for an hour, then headaches started, then I got dizzy, then I got nauseous, then I couldn't even walk a straight line, then I started getting easily agitated, then the headaches worsen until the fact that my legs started giving out on me. So I started twisting my fingers, and made bubbles, then hummed to myself then just started texting as many people as i can find to try to get my mind off everything around me and we ended up shopping for over 2 and half hours, it was the worst. Whats even worse after that, is after having such a sensory overload, everybody starts picking fights with me. I wish NTs understood what it feels like, I try to explain this to my brother as he picks fights with me, but it never works, its like hes never listening anyways. He has ADHD though. Does anybody else dread shopping as much as I do? and have similiar things happen to them?

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 3:46 pm

HAHAHA YOU'RE LUCKY.
I stopped growing when I was fourteen, I'm forever a ten year old.

I have an MP3 Player and its my best friend forever. With this beautiful device the external world can kiss my ass. I suggest investing in one.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 3:48 pm

I hate shopping too. I try to do any shopping I have to do online now, but my mum buys most of my stuff for me so it's OK.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 3:56 pm

agentcyclosarin wrote:
HAHAHA YOU'RE LUCKY.
I stopped growing when I was fourteen, I'm forever a ten year old.

I have an MP3 Player and its my best friend forever. With this beautiful device the external world can kiss my ass. I suggest investing in one.

Yea I have a mp3 player but it doesnt worry, I use to walk around with a cd player in a fanny pack, my family stopped going out with me because they thought it was weird to be around me, I used to even go to class at my community college carring a cd player in a fanny pack haha, It defintely helped me alot, but it just got so much of a hassle, and I got more stares then anything, so I just gave that up. I use my brothers ipod sometimes, its just that it doesn't work when your walking with an NT, all they wanna do is chat while shopping, for me, its like lets get what we need and leave. And it sucks to be still growing, I'm still technically still hitting puberty, and I'm always behind everybody and three years ago I would be able to still fit in childrens size 10, how sad is that. Now I finally starting to look like a 16yr old woman haha and I'm 22!

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 4:14 pm

Shopping blows.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 4:34 pm

I really hate shopping. It is really confusing and busy. You can never find what you want. What the hell do they keep moving things, all the time!?! I don't get people who go shopping without knowing what they are going to get. What is the point of that?

boots1123
Raven
Raven

09 May 2007, 4:47 pm

Yes! I hate it. I only go four times a year for groceries and everything. I have neighbors that only go twice a year and the two families have 5 and 6 kids. I'm so glad I don't have to do it more. And the superstores! I want to go into a dark room after being in them!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 4:50 pm

I love shopping! I actually have an obsessive need for it. See, if I'm not able to go out for a while (even just two or three days), I start to go stir-crazy and have meltdowns. Unlike most Aspies, I thrive on a change of schedules and environments. I get extremely bored and irritated otherwise.

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2007, 5:05 pm

I do all my shopping online.

I share the opinion on mp3 players - I listen to mine most of the day. If it wasnt for podcasts and audiobooks on my mp3 player I would have lost whatever tiny shred of sanity I have left.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:11 pm

I'd be happy to shop if I was the only person in the shop.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 May 2007, 5:13 pm

I shop online. If I have to go to a store it takes me days to recover.

There's an extra perk to shopping online - you bought it, it's on its way, it'll arrive any minute now, and here it is! and you get to open it like it's Christmas or something. As opposed to melting down in the store and throwing the purchase in the back of the closet hoping you'll never see it again.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:29 pm

I think online shopping is possibly the best reason for an aspie to be on the internet.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:32 pm

Abhor shopping. No matter what kind - clothes, groceries...
Try to do without as much as possible. Combine trips, use the internet. Ebay is wonderful!

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:43 pm

For the most part yes. I don't enjoy being stores I'm not interested in. Clothing stores, makeup, department stores, ect. You would notice that if I'm in a store like that too long, which isn't long, I can get really irritable and annoying. I'll start tugging on my mom to leave and start whining. There have been a couple of times where I acted out. I was running around the store and chasing my brother and the employee guy didn't like that. I don't do this anymore, but I can still get annoying. I also seem to get fatigued and my feet get sore if I'm in a store too long. It's like a drain on my body even if I'm not doing much.

My mom used to force me to go to stores with her, but now she'll let me go to the bookstore or something while she's shopping.

If I'm in a bookstore I can spend hours there. Books seem to calm me down.

I also feel like I'm stuck as a child developmentally.

DougOzzzz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2007, 5:44 pm

Yes.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:46 pm

I especially like Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, and Fry's (an electronics store).

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!