One of the most annoying sounds in the world

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 7:37 am

seems to bother no-one else that i know, but when eating, my dad chews really loudly (might be something to do with the fact that all his teeth are fakes, you know, artificial teeth that have been somehow permanently stuck into where his natural teeth are supposed to be, long story short, his parents never told him to brush them, so he never did, and thats what he got in return) and it hurts, mentally, i cant stand it its so annoying, you know that saying "its like nails on a chalk board" i feel like that describes it, i really can't stand peoples chewing noise but his is the loudest. ugh i have no idea how to stop it annoying me or just plain stopping it, no one else seems to be bothered by it, or seem to be able to hear it.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 8:28 am

Water dripping from a faucet-----drip, drip, drip....drives me crazy!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 8:34 am

I can't stand to hear people chewing either. I'd prefer to eat alone or just with my son - very few things he does annoys me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 1:16 pm

I hate the sound of nails being dragged across the chalkboard.

intravenus_de_milo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2016, 1:53 pm

For me, the sound of a liquid being poured into a glass is extremely irritating.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2016, 2:34 pm

Different things have bothered me though out the years , some more so than others , and some not as much now as when I was younger . Now of days the ones that come to mind most specifically are gun shots , people singing off key , and certain persons clearing their throats so intensely . All of these things aggravate my nerves , and cause discomfort , and /or distress , to some extent or another .

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:45 pm

I hate how TV commercials make everything that's crunchy sound much more louder than real life and they always use the same crunch sound effect, like those Kit Kat ads. Of course when you eat something crunchy IRL it *sounds* like the whole world can hear you, but fortunately it doesn't.

And then there are the ads where they yell the entire time. Ugh.

I also really hate the sound of cracking knuckles. Just thinking about it make my hair turn white, and I once had to ask a guy to please stop his knuckle-cracking, and he thought it was strange that I hated it. I said it was not strange, because they even mentioned it one time on an episode of Cheers.

Squealing car tires and roaring motorcycles are awful, especially late at night when I try to sleep. I'll probably have a heart attack one day from being jolted awake by the noise. I guess it could be a lot worse If I lived in a big city. :?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:51 pm

Touretter wrote:
Different things have bothered me though out the years , some more so than others , and some not as much now as when I was younger . Now of days the ones that come to mind most specifically are gun shots , people singing off key , and certain persons clearing their throats so intensely . All of these things aggravate my nerves , and cause discomfort , and /or distress , to some extent or another .

I couldn't read your post without hearing a typewriter and Max's voice , I was expecting you to say "Dr Bernard Hazelhof says it is good to have goals but not stupid ones like mine." :P

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2016, 4:07 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Touretter wrote:

I couldn't read your post without hearing a typewriter and Max's voice , I was expecting you to say "Dr Bernard Hazelhof says it is good to have goals but not stupid ones like mine." :P

:lol: I actually am sort of similar to Max Horowitz , only I'm not quite as obese , I still live at home with my folks , instead of on my own , and I have never been to a psychotherapist . I have been to a social worker , and various psychologists , plus a psychiatric nurse practicioner , for evaluations though . The reason why I chose that avatar was because I liked the movie , and identified with that character . Especially given his political views . :nerdy:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:26 pm

Touretter wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Touretter wrote:

:lol: I actually am sort of similar to Max Horowitz , only I'm not quite as obese , I still live at home with my folks , instead of on my own , and I have never been to a psychotherapist . I have been to a social worker , and various psychologists , plus a psychiatric nurse practicioner , for evaluations though . The reason why I chose that avatar was because I liked the movie , and identified with that character . Especially given his political views . :nerdy:

I loved the movie and identified with both Mary & Max :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:41 pm

When I was the kid I was the person who got yelled at for chewing too loud, and not closing my mouth etc.

Have a physically small mouth, and also had a severe deviated septum (lopsided nasal air passages in nose) which probably contributed.

The only thing in the Universe that irritates me is one thing, but its everything about that one thing:stryofoam.

Hate the sound of styrofoam containers rubbing against each other in the back of a car, cant stand the feel of a cup in your hand, the oily taste of the drink the cup contains, uhhhh!.

But I LOVE to watch a stryofoam cup when you toss it atop of burning logs:the way it melts and then gives off an intense blue flame. Thats cool stuff.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 5:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

But I LOVE to watch a stryofoam cup when you toss it atop of burning logs:the way it melts and then gives off an intense blue flame. Thats cool stuff.

Maybe revealing too much about myself but I love watching plastic burn especially when the plastic drips and makes a crazy noise as it falls to the ground - I'm not a pyro , honest :evil:

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 12:54 am

September 1, 1994 - Suddenly became aware of my dads own eating sounds. Made me cringe like nothing ever had before. Dad told me sternly to knock it off.

... Before awareness

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2016, 1:14 pm

One of the most annoying sounds in the world...

Is the sound of people talking, it sounds like the gobbling of turkeys.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 1:24 pm

I can't stand the sound of chewing either, I very rarely hang out where other people are eating.

Soft sounds are the worst for me though, breathiness, whispering and so on. I can almost feel the texture of the sound if that makes sense, it makes my skin crawl.

I really like crunchy-feeling mechanical noises, machinery, trains, saws etc. There's a key-cutting machine at work that I love the sound of, and I have some recordings of ice saws on my mp3 player :) .