Does anyone have a medic alert bracelet?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:48 am

Does anyone have a medic alert bracelet. I got one that was "too cute" and no one noticed it. So, I'm planning to get a RoadID one. I just need to figure out what all to have it say.

(I won't put Autism on it, because that worked against me when I had a stroke last November. They decided I was having an autistic meltdown and sent me home to rest... I didn't find out I had a stroke until 13 days later!!)

I've ordered one for my daughter, because we both share a condition that can cause aortic dissection and organ rupture. I've also given written permission for her teachers to call 911 and transport her first and call me second if they have ANY doubts or if she has a sudden blow to her chest or abdomen. (This is an NT daughter)

I don't think my AS son needs one.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:54 am

I got mine a few months ago. I ordered it off of Amazon. Mine says "Epilepsy and Diabetes" and has my mother's cell phone number on it so that they can let her know if anything happens.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:59 am

I have an autism bracelet but I only wear when I need that information known, normally I carry in my pocket. If I am in a bad way then I put it on and it helps with communication with law enforcement, EMS and the fire department. Otherwise I won't wear it cause it my neighborhood that is basically wearing something that says rob me on your arm. I also wear it around my parents and normally just stop talking cause they are much better at communication then I am. I normally get myself in some kind of deep water when I speak so I find its better to not speak. Speaking is not really a gift with autism I find.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 10:12 pm

I think I am getting one in the next few months, at first I thought it was funny that I would possess such a thing but then when I have reviewed various occurrences I've found myself embroiled within I realize I would actually benefit from such an object to yank out like Link from Zelda holding up something he nabs from a chest 8)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 10:18 pm

That's a great idea.
I can get one that says "terminally ill. don't bother."

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 10:32 pm

I have an "urgent admittance" card for the DEM.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 11:01 pm

DancingCorpse wrote:
I think I am getting one in the next few months, at first I thought it was funny that I would possess such a thing but then when I have reviewed various occurrences I've found myself embroiled within I realize I would actually benefit from such an object to yank out like Link from Zelda holding up something he nabs from a chest 8)

LOL

I loved holding stuff like Link from Zelda :mrgreen:

Link is cool, complete autism, doesn't talk, plays with objects, walks blinding into dangerous situations lol

I want be Link, it looks fun.

(None of the above are meant as offensive stereotypes but Link kind of fits some level of autism stereotype)

softlyspeaks41
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2016, 2:48 am

I'm allergic to penicillin and have a bracelet stating such. When I was about five, I was given a derivative of the drug..I think for one of several ear infections. I soon broke out in a rash all over and ended up staying in a hospital for several days. Found out many years later that my kidney almost failed. I've heard that the allergy may not be lifelong. I think I'm fine with not finding out one way or another. lol

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 3:02 am

screen_name wrote:
Does anyone have a medic alert bracelet. I got one that was "too cute" and no one noticed it. So, I'm planning to get a RoadID one. I just need to figure out what all to have it say.

(I won't put Autism on it, because that worked against me when I had a stroke last November. They decided I was having an autistic meltdown and sent me home to rest... I didn't find out I had a stroke until 13 days later!!)

I've ordered one for my daughter, because we both share a condition that can cause aortic dissection and organ rupture. I've also given written permission for her teachers to call 911 and transport her first and call me second if they have ANY doubts or if she has a sudden blow to her chest or abdomen. (This is an NT daughter)

I don't think my AS son needs one.

Im sorry your bracelet went unnoticed. That is negligence on the professionals behalf as they should be trained to check for such things.! Best you can do is educate those around you which you seem to be doing also if this went unnoticed at a hospital even more shame on them as it will also show in your medical records.

I should wear one myself for penicillin but dont ( ok maybe i should, but as it is now a commercial business you have to be a paid yearly subscriber to have one) :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 5:41 am

LOL...you're such a sweet woman, that I knew you would get the cute one!

Next time, just get the regular one.

(I have a confession: I used to have a little crush on you. I still do, but it's more mature now. It was always like a "friend" crush rather than a romantic one).

My mother, after much nagging, has a life-alert bracelet now.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 8:11 am

I had a medical alert bracelet when I was younger because I had epilepsy. Thank goodness I seem to have grown out of it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 4:24 pm

I too have a medical ID bracelet because I have epilepsy.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 11:22 am

Mine came in. I had to really condense what I put on it. I put check Aortic dissection, but not organ rupture. I've got Eosinophilic Esophagitis on there and anaphylaxis allergies (I'm actually really allergic to everything, but I take 8 benedryl a day plus some other meds that allow me to eat some foods, but most of my food allergies aren't anaphylactic...they are Eosinophilic...so a big deal still, but I can wait until I'm conscious or they contacted my husband--listed there--to learn about those things.)

I'm really still kind of mad about having a stroke and the doctors taking so long to find out.

It makes me want to do some hardcore advocacy for my nonverbal friends on the spectrum. I only experienced 13 days of that treatment. I cannot imagine a lifetime... The medical professionals just.do.not.listen if you can't speak.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 11:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL...you're such a sweet woman, that I knew you would get the cute one!

Next time, just get the regular one.

(I have a confession: I used to have a little crush on you. I still do, but it's more mature now. It was always like a "friend" crush rather than a romantic one).

My mother, after much nagging, has a life-alert bracelet now.

Cool

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 4:02 pm

This is what I ended up going with (far right).

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Nov 2016, 11:13 pm

I am thinking about getting a MedicAlert bracelet. I currently wear a dog tag as I don't mind necklace and the tag has a big space to put information. I will have to train myself to get used to something around my wrist if I get a bracelet.
The reason why I have to consider a bracelet is that I do have allergies. I have been told that a bracelet is much more noticeable and easily found by staff, particularly if it's a plain one with a huge symbol. I don't wear jewellery, so they will see it in emergency.

Whenever I got sent to Emergency, they always checked everything (vital signs, ECG, CT scan, neuro obs, etc.) to make sure it was not cardiac issue and/or seizure. screen_name, I was sorry to hear that they sent you home. Regardless of the look of the medical ID, staff have been educated that they should always look carefully for medical ID on patients.

Uncle, I know how annoying it can be to pay yearly for membership, but there are also other brands that don't require membership. Drug allergy can be life-threatening.