Hate, hate, hate pop-up video on web pages.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 9:09 am

Rant/curmudgeon mode.

If I want to see or hear a damned video, I will click the damned play button! But these sites give me no choice!

It was bad enough when it was just sleazy advertisers trying to batter their way into your attention, but that's what ad blockers are for.

Now, though many of the news sites I go to with the intention of READING news articles have these damn pop-up videos.

The video accompanying auto plays when the page loads, so you hit the pause button. So far, so good.

But then you scroll down to read more and the infernal video pops up in a floating player to the right of the text you are reading and begins autoplaying and has no easily accessible pause control.

It makes me want to never return to these sites. I am looking at you, CBS News. And you, Chron.

A plague on all their servers! :x

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 9:11 am

What is Adblock Plus?

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 9:12 am

Or just surf the net in a Linux terminal with w3m.

I would like to see a video load on that :lol:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 10:11 am

Adamantium wrote:
Rant/curmudgeon mode.

If I want to see or hear a damned video, I will click the damned play button! But these sites give me no choice!

It was bad enough when it was just sleazy advertisers trying to batter their way into your attention, but that's what ad blockers are for.

Now, though many of the news sites I go to with the intention of READING news articles have these damn pop-up videos.

The video accompanying auto plays when the page loads, so you hit the pause button. So far, so good.

But then you scroll down to read more and the infernal video pops up in a floating player to the right of the text you are reading and begins autoplaying and has no easily accessible pause control.

It makes me want to never return to these sites. I am looking at you, CBS News. And you, Chron.

A plague on all their servers! :x

Yes, a plague upon all their servers! I hate video adverts too, it's especially frustrating when you're using a mobile internet dongle with only about 2GB maximum in downloads including internet browsing. Don't get me started on automatic updates...

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2016, 10:27 am

Chrome / Chromium -> Settings -> Advanced settings -> Content settings -> Plugins -> Let me choose when to execute plug-ins -> Manage individual plug-ins... -> Adobe Flash Player : uncheck "always authorize execution". When a page loads, on the upper right corner, you can see a puzzle symbol with a cross. Click on it to create an exception to execute plug-ins on the page. Goodbye annoying autoplay.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 11:30 am

^ Thanks. :) Now I will have to download Chrome..

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 10:38 pm

THIS x100.

It doesn't exactly help having a slow computer that can, you know, CRASH if it gets overloaded with memory.

Know what also grinds my gears? Those "subscribe to our daily email"/"like us on Facebook" popups. Sometimes (here's looking at you, Washington Post), they don't even let you continue reading until you've subscribed to their stupid newsletter or liked them on Facebook! I suggest entering [email protected].

I'll take Geocities pages designed by 11 year olds in 1995 over this crap ANY day of the week.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 11:04 pm

I also hate pop up videos. I've been using ABP for a few years now.