CBT for Autism Spectrum Disorders and comorbid mental illnes

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 7:02 am

People diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) find social interaction and communication difficult, and often display rigid and restrictive beliefs and patterns of behaviour. They also have an increased likelihood of experiencing mental health difficulties.

A recent report by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2012) has recommended that individuals with ASD should be offered appropriate psychological treatment for both the core symptoms of ASD and comorbid mental health problems. There is evidence to suggest that intensive behavioural interventions can improve adaptive and communicative behaviour in individuals with ASD. Recent reviews also demonstrate the promising effects of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for young people with ASD and comorbid anxiety disorders.

However, current reviews have not examined the effects of CBT on the primary features of ASD and anxiety disorders, nor have they looked into the effectiveness of such therapy for other mental health problems such as depression. Most of the literature reviewed appears to focus primarily on the benefits of CBT for children and young people with ASD, and not adults. Therefore, the authors aimed to compile a systematic review which examined the effectiveness of CBT across a range of age groups for the core features of ASD and mental health concerns.
Can CBT help people with Autism Spectrum Disorders?

http://www.nationalelfservice.net/learn ... l-illness/

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 7:45 am

I think CBT is the next type of treatment my shrink will suggest , I hope it helps.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 7:58 am

I feel CBT, combined with more traditional psychotherapy, is rather the way to go for at least some people.