Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you find it easier to make friends with the opposite sex?
I have more friends of my own sex. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
I have more friends of the opposite sex. 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
I just haven't had much luck in the friend department altogether. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 6:05 pm

This afternoon, I was sitting with a group of moms and tried to join their conversation. None of them seemed to know each other, so it wasn't as if I was trying to break into their clique or anything. They started talking about another mom who walked by. They weren't gossiping or anything, just sort of marveling at how she takes care of so many kids. The woman is an aquaintance of mine, so I tried to answer some of their speculations. They completely ignored anything I tried to add to the conversation, even though I was the only one in the group who knew her well enough to answer. They would say something like, "I wonder how many kids she has." I would answer them in what I thought to be a clear voice, being careful to look at one of them, while saying it. None of them acknowledged that I even existed or had said anything. The next Mom, who had only ever seen her pass by, answered the original question (totally ignoring my response), "I don't know. I think she might have ..." I spoke again, repeating what I knew to be the truth, but again, another mom answered that she wondered how many the woman really did have. What the heck!?! Why am I so invisible to these women??? It seriously felt like one of those moments you see in movies where the spirit realizes they're dead and no one can see or hear them. My aquaintance came back from the restroom and sat with me for the rest of the time. I wonder if the women were then thinking that maybe I did have something to say, after all.

I just can't understand it, though. I know I'm an Aspie and all, but what is it exactly that I do that makes NT's treat me as if I'm invisible?

Last edited by kiki3 on 09 May 2007, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xboxboy247
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 6:17 pm

It happens to me all the time, and I have no idea what to do.

Like discussing Film and Writing?
Go here! http://fwc.eamped.com/

Save The Internet! It's not going to save itself!
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Avian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2007, 6:19 pm

They've always been very dismissive of me; one of my least favorite things about them.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 6:22 pm

Yeah, it happens to me all the time too. This wasn't an isolated incident. Usually, I can fool myself into believing that it's because I'm not part of their clique or that I have nothing important to add to the conversation. This time, though, none of those applied.

I almost wanted to scream, "Shut up and listen to me! Why are you still asking questions when I GAVE you the answers?!?"

Luckily, I'm not clueless enough to do something so drastic.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 6:30 pm

I feel invisible a lot. I've encountered the exact same situation. I'm starting to give up trying - to just not talk.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 6:39 pm

I've kind of gotten over getting my feelings hurt by it, after all these years (almost!); but I'd still like to figure out exactly what it is that makes them immediately know that I don't belong. It's almost like a mystery I'd like to solve. Does my voice tremble too much? Did I speak too softly -- too loudly? Did I not emphasize the right words? I know you can't really give me the answers, but it drives me nuts that I'll never really know. I wish a psychologist would do a hidden study with Aspies in these situations and tell us what we did wrong. Sometimes, I even fantasize about going back and asking these types of women why they reacted this way. I'd love to tell them that they can be completely honest with me, not worry about hurting my feelings, just tell me the truth. Of course, I never would.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 6:46 pm

Aw, Kiki3, I'm right there with you. I don't know what it is. I wish I knew. I don't think I'll ever understand either. People are so strange, and so dismissive, and sometimes I think they're deliberately being mean but I can't think of why they would do that. I really am right there with you. Next time it happens, you can think of me and know you're not alone. *hug*

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 7:01 pm

Esperanza wrote:
Aw, Kiki3, I'm right there with you. I don't know what it is. I wish I knew. I don't think I'll ever understand either. People are so strange, and so dismissive, and sometimes I think they're deliberately being mean but I can't think of why they would do that. I really am right there with you. Next time it happens, you can think of me and know you're not alone. *hug*

Thanks, Esperanza! :D

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 7:08 pm

What do you think you need right now?

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 7:14 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
What do you think you need right now?

Um, a million dollars? :wink: I don't think I quite understand the question.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 7:15 pm

Meredith Vieira is on the East Coast, remember that!

xboxboy247
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 7:16 pm

It happens to me a lot, both here and the real world.

Like discussing Film and Writing?
Go here! http://fwc.eamped.com/

Save The Internet! It's not going to save itself!
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 7:18 pm

xboxboy247 wrote:
It happens to me a lot, both here and the real world.

I'm wondering if it happens to NT's all the time too, but they just shrug it off easier.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 7:21 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Meredith Vieira is on the East Coast, remember that!

I never liked her as the host of WWTBAM. I'm sure people would stand up and take notice of me if I were throwing them 100 dollar bills out of my winnings, though, right?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 7:23 pm

You thought Regis was better, didn't you?

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 7:33 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
You thought Regis was better, didn't you?

Absolutely!