Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Are people with mental disorders neurodivergent?
yes 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
no 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
only some mental disorders 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
not enough information/research to tell 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
neurodivergence is not a useful concept 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
no opinion 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
other 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 29

Ven_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2016, 12:48 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and surmise that "Nuerodivergent" is another big long word the Neurotypical world uses to try and describe us, which they can't really understand to begin with?

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 11:38 am

I would rather say "psychodivergent" than "neurodivergent". Epilepsy and cerebral palsy are also neurological problems, but they are not mental disorders.

Most "psychodivergent" people could be named as "odd", presenting social inadequacy and peculiarity since childhood. Their mentality differs from mentalities of "neurotypical" people. They are usually especially prone to bullying. "Psychodivergence" is more pronounced with above-average intelligence - someone who has no problems with scholastic skills can be handicapped in social and occupational areas despite high IQ.

I would name people with some other conditions than autism spectrum disorder as clearly neurodivergent. An example of that condition is something (in my opinion mis)named "nonverbal learning disability".

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 12:50 pm

Ven_ wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and surmise that "Nuerodivergent" is another big long word the Neurotypical world uses to try and describe us, which they can't really understand to begin with?

I thought it was something autistic people created to promote understanding and acceptance of people with different brains.

I'm pretty sure NTs didn't come up with it because the whole point was that NTs have overly negative opinions of certain types of people.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2016, 1:30 pm

"Neurodivergence" to me encompasses a small subset of neurobiological conditions and alternate learning differences generally) like Asperger syndrome/HFA, Dyslexia, Hyperlexia, Intellectual Giftedness (or anyone with advanced scholastic skills), Synaesthesia, Savantism (both autistic, acquired and sudden), any CNS with a neuropsychological profile that explicates an underlying prodigious ability or talent (includes late bloomers), and mysterious neuro-cognitive syndromes that express an anomalous and discernible range of human abilities like Hyperthymesia, Allesthesia etc. It may in some occasions include Non-verbal Learning Disability (NVLD), Mendelsohnn's syndrome (Schizotypal autism), Tourette's syndrome, Dyscalculia, Dyspraxia, William's Syndrome (despite the underlying intellectual impairments and physiological anomalies) and nonverbal cases of ASD with at least average cognitive/intellectual/expressive ability or higher.

"Neurodivergent conditions" are not attributed to a psycho-cognitive impediment (including Schizoid and Schizotypal personalities that may induce mysterious behavioral idiosyncrasies, but are also prevalently concurrent with underlying mental health disorders like clinical depression and social phobia), although there a lot of neurological conditions (as well as neuropsychological ones) that should never be lumped into it's ideological collective as I repudiate the terminology to classify and expound individuals afflicted with; but clearly not limited to the following conditions: Manic Depressive Disorder, Social Phobia, Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Schizophrenia (even though there is a postulated link to creativity), Dissociative Identity Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder, PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Intermittent explosive disorder, Dysthymia, Circadian rhythm disorders, Anomic aphasia, OCD, neurodegenerative diseases, and developmental linguistic disorders as they are of no beneficence to the individuals personality nor their innate abilities, other than the American Psychiatric Association (excluding epilepsy, CRD and anomic aphasia) and the multinational pharmaceutical-industrial complex (Pharmacorporatocracy) mass profiteering on some irrationalized preservation of these retrospectively mentioned disorders of course (excluding Anomic aphasia).

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2022, 1:52 pm

starkid wrote:
Ven_ wrote:

I thought it was something autistic people created to promote understanding and acceptance of people with different brains.

I'm pretty sure NTs didn't come up with it because the whole point was that NTs have overly negative opinions of certain types of people.

That's been my opinion thus far as well.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 6:15 pm

I voted on 'Only some mental disorders' option - even though I also considered the 'Not enough information/research to tell' option.