Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 8:33 pm

starkid wrote:
Never. Delete Windows and install Linux.

Even if I did want to ditch Windows and use only Linux, my Nvidia graphics card will be a pain in the butt for it. Since I play games that can't really run on Linux, what are the advantages?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 2:52 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
starkid wrote:
Never. Delete Windows and install Linux.

Even if I did want to ditch Windows and use only Linux, my Nvidia graphics card will be a pain in the butt for it. Since I play games that can't really run on Linux, what are the advantages?

I suppose there is no advantage if the newer computer games are a big part of your computer usage (some Windows games are supported on Linux by Crossover). What about keeping it disconnected from the Internet (except periodically for updates), and possibly using another computer or another partition for online use? These are just random thoughts. I have a Windows machine for work and I avoid connecting it to the Internet and am extremely selective about the websites I visit when it is connected.

I don't know about the graphics card. If it's a very new model, you may indeed have a problem with Linux. I had an Nvidia graphics card in a new Windows laptop and I got it to work when I installed Linux. You'd just have to check whether your card is supported by the distribution you chose (which would probably be Ubuntu if you have a newer card or a fancy card).

argentwarrior20
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2016, 5:10 pm

starkid wrote:

I suppose there is no advantage if the newer computer games are a big part of your computer usage (some Windows games are supported on Linux by Crossover). What about keeping it disconnected from the Internet (except periodically for updates), and possibly using another computer or another partition for online use? These are just random thoughts. I have a Windows machine for work and I avoid connecting it to the Internet and am extremely selective about the websites I visit when it is connected.

I don't know about the graphics card. If it's a very new model, you may indeed have a problem with Linux. I had an Nvidia graphics card in a new Windows laptop and I got it to work when I installed Linux. You'd just have to check whether your card is supported by the distribution you chose (which would probably be Ubuntu if you have a newer card or a fancy card).

Ubuntu cut support for proprietary graphics drivers, and the nouveau driver can cook your GPU. AMD cards should be fine though.