Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 4:17 am

I have taken several trainings in relaxation, meditation, deep breathing techniques. Every one of them advised that "If this starts making you feel anxious, stop." The phenomenon of the techniques not working for everyone is well understood in professional circles, but may be overlooked by lay practitioners and the general public.

I advise you to "know yourself" and politely dismiss those who are nagging you on this topic.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2016, 8:24 am

If it don't work for you, it don't work for you. Simple. People can be such idiots sometimes.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 8:28 am

The_Dark_Citadel wrote:
If it don't work for you, it don't work for you. Simple. People can be such idiots sometimes.

True dat.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 8:56 am

BeaArthur wrote:
That rigorous evidence could be a reason why you're being advised repeatedly to try it. I advise you to simply state you are one of the few who do not respond well to it. That remark acknowledges the consensus evidence, while excusing you from further manipulation.

+1, and very well stated.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 9:52 am

My technique for calming myself is to plan out the elaborate murder of whoever is most annoying me at that particular moment...

How do you delete a post?

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 11:36 am

Deep breathing doesn't do anything for me. And I honestly think people suggest it because they have heard it before and it's easy to suggest and they can't be bothered by your issues. The deep breathing thing is just a way for them to absolve their own feelings of "I need to do something about this person's behavior but I don't know what to do about it."

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 6:55 pm

I've never come across someone who is bothered by my choice of coping methods unless it somehow directly involves them.