Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 7:53 pm

B19 wrote:
Some hate speech is so toxic that I am relieved there are restrictions on it.

Apart from a relative few jurisdictions in the United States, "hate-speech" laws don't exist because they would easily fall victim to court review as sometimes violative of the First Amendment. What does past constitutional muster is the idea that what many people call hate speech is actually already prohibited through existing laws against libel, slander, threat and extortion.

When I helped write and lobby successfully for the adoption of my state's hate-crime laws, we intentionally steered clear of any mention of speech ramifications because we knew that it would raise eyebrows, and, instead, stuck with the overall category of crimes (which includes speech-related violations).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 9:09 pm

Free speech has never existed, does not exist now, and never will exist. Your opinions are no better than mine, or any one else. If anything, my thoughts, speech and feelings are to be severely discounted, derided, and are of no consequence BECAUSE I'M A USELESS PIECE OF SH!T who knows nothing about everything and everything about nothing!

I'm always being told I'm ALWAYS wrong, even when I'm right and can prove it six ways to Sunday.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 11:05 pm

On the contrary, there has always been freedom of speech, provided you’re willing to face the consequences, which, more often than not, include physical aggression and probably fighting to the death.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.