Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 3:48 pm

Sorry for the rather generic thread title. But I know of some parent's groups who are offended by whatever they see on TV that they think will be potentially offensive "for the children", and people argue that the groups wanting to pull the show's sponsors are a violation of the first amendment. But don't they actually have the freedom to express their concerns to advertisers?

I know these are very unpopular views, and I don't think we should have a moral police helicopter hovering us all the time everywhere, but I will say there is a line between what is right and what is wrong. Pop culture has become very crude and coarse and is more towards the wrong.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 4:18 pm

I agree completely. Pop culture has indeed become very crude and coarse and is more towards the wrong.

I mean, the things that contemporary culture *teaches* out kids these days 8O:

Here are some offensive lyrics that our young ones risk getting exposed to, for instance:

- Honey on that topping when I stuff you in my system / Rape a pregnant b***h and tell my friends I had a threesome.

- Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

- I show no love to homo thugs / Empty out, reload and throw more slugs / How you gonna explain f*****g a man? Even if we squashed the beef, I ain’t touching ya hand.

- I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh because their enemies will press the siege so hard against them to destroy them.

- Put molly all in her champagne/She ain’t even know it/ I took her home and I enjoyed that/She ain’t even know it

- Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

I don't know about you, but the moral police helicopters better come swooping in if someone made statements like the ones above on TV or radio....

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 4:24 pm

Of course people are free to protest, though I'd rather they do it directly with their wallets by not watching the shows rather than trying to get the canceled or Bowdlerized.

I'm much more concerned about what people of all ages "learn" from watching police and legal procedurals, things like defense attorneys are slimy pricks who manipulate the system to get their criminal clients off on technicalities, or that the 4th amendment is just a pesky obstacle for the cops to circumvent by making threats or breaking things until someone "consents" to a warrantless search.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 6:22 pm

In the United States the right of peaceful protest is guaranteed by the First Amendment. So in the U.S. the answer is yes, provided the protest is peaceful.

Text of the first amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.