Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 8:42 am

I have stared at people before. Sometimes it is because I find something about them visually interesting. Sometimes it might be because I am trying hard to pay attention to what they are saying/doing. Hyper focusing on a person sometimes helps me drown out what is going on in the background. Other times it is because, for whatever reason, I find it necessary to make good eye contact and instead of being moderate about it, I end up staring. I try to stop once I realize I am, but I don't always notice until I have been staring too long already.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 5:32 pm

I catch myself staring at people a lot. I try to then look the other way, but it is one of those things I find myself doing without realizing it.

SBO_ReachOut2Me
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2016, 7:27 am

If any non-threatening person ever permit me to stare into their eyes I find them beautiful whosoever they otherwise be.

Individuals are beautiful and it's a sentimental cliche but we really are all like snowflakes.

And we're all original:

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2016, 8:28 am

When I was in primary school (aged around ten) I overcame my inability to look at people by deliberately taking part in staring contests with other kids. The loser was the first one to blink. I invariably won. In secondary school (an all boys school) I was asked why I was staring at them, on several occasions, by other boys, usually when they were sitting opposite to me in the dining hall. Generally I wasn't staring at them at all, my eyes might have been pointed in their direction but in reality I was simply staring blankly into space. I did intentionally stare at one boy in particular, when I was aged around fourteen, because he fascinated me at the time.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

electrictype
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2016, 10:24 am

I always stare at people, sometimes to observe but other times it's just me spacing out

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Oct 2016, 2:01 pm

All my life I've had a problem with staring. I do it often, everywhere but I don't know I'm doing it! People take it badly. I would fix it if I could.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 2:03 pm

I tend to stare at babies when they cry. I always want to know why they are crying.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 2:30 pm

I stare a lot, and it's embarrassing. I do it for the following reasons:

1. I'm thinking about something and spacing out, which a lot of people seem to interpret as staring.
2. I get hung up on interesting details.
3. I can get a bit confused about whether I know a person and should say hi, or they just look like someone I know. This is mainly a problem when there is a lot of people around and things are unpredictable. I'm so bloody slow at making decisions about talking to people that I stare like an idiot until my mouth catches up with my eyes. You'd think I'd learn by now.....alas

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 3:42 am

If staring is socially inappropriate how come so many people stare at us?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Oct 2016, 4:46 am

Only because they want to know why we're staring at them.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 5:15 am

I stare during unsuccessful attempts to engage in eye-contact (mostly because my mother tells me that I need to look at people's eyes). Also, if I am not using my eyes (not processing what I can see) I may appear to be staring, when actually my eyes just happen to be resting there.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 6:27 am

Claradoon wrote:
Only because they want to know why we're staring at them.

I don't stare at people though, in fact I avoid eye contact with strangers, but I sometimes spot people staring at me in my periphery, then when I glance up I notice they are staring, for no reason. I give a little smile and casually look away as if to say "you are making me feel uncomfortable".

SBO_ReachOut2Me

13 Oct 2016, 9:18 am

So, anyways, other than staring contests and spacing out... I don't really stare at anyone.

Hal

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 9:30 am

I have to watch out for it when I am tired. I had an awkward and slightly frightening moment in the pub in Rickmansworth on a lunch stop, looking down the pub, noticing a particular woman and I was trying to decide if she was the person who ran an excellent cafe by the canal near trying when a man on the table behind asked with a slightly agressi e edge , "Are you staring at me ?"

Not a nice experience,.

SBO_ReachOut2Me

13 Oct 2016, 9:57 am

Yeah I hate it when that happens.