Okay, this is a weird problem, but my dorm room is too HOT

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 12:54 am

I live in an area that has very cold winters. During the summer the AC works just fine, but during the fall and winter the heat is up WAY too high. I thought it was caused by other people turning their heaters up too high and making the whole building hot, but I've moved to apartment style dorms and in the common room the temperature is tolerable while in my room it's Hades. I can't sleep under a blanket (a necessity) and most of my sleepwear is uncomfortable when it's that hot. Also, it causes me to sweat through my deodorant. I turned off my heater, but I can still hear it running, so the controls are useless and only give an illusion of choice. I'm on the first floor and with the way my window is, I can't open it too much or I'll be on exhibit. There have also been clown sightings in my area so there's that. And the Facilities people don't want people opening windows when it's cold out or it will freeze the coils in the radiator.

Wow, this post was longer than I thought it would be. So, does anyone else have this problem and what can I do to lower the temperature so I can sleep at night?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 1:07 am

hang something in the window so no one can see inside and open the window a little? If you're worried about anyone sneaking in or whatever you could get a stick or something that is the right length to open the window a little and prevent it being opened further like put it in the bottom of the winow where the panes slide. Or maybe leave the door that goes into the common room open a little, maybe put something in front of your door so it doesn't open much.

Only other thing I can think of is getting some sort of cooling fan for your room.