Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2016, 11:58 am

I want to not care and simply do what I need to do to get through things and even try to achieve the best I can in whatever I'm trying to do but I can't help but feel kind of stupid and worry about what people think about me, for needing to do things differently or needing extra support with some things, especially at university.
I don't want suffer in silence for the sake of not feeling stupid or embarrassed, I've suffered far too much and for too long in the past and I'm determined to not go back to my darkest times but I still can't help worrying.

Does anyone else relate?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Oct 2016, 12:43 pm

Many of us feel stupid at times, or that we've done stupid things. I can certainly relate. I've made numerous mistakes in the past but am trying to put it all behind me, especially since being diagnosed 8 years ago. It's gone better since then but I try to take it day by day in bite-sized pieces.

Best of luck and please feel free to PM me if you wish to chat about anything in further depth. What is your field of interest / study by the way? Just be the best you that you can be - in other words, don't compare yourself with others or spend too much effort worrying about what they think.

The past can be hard to let go of and many of us can testify to that, but you can move on and find ways which work for you.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2016, 3:50 pm

Thanks for your reply. It's not feeling stupid about mistakes but just finding things difficult or challenging and needing to do things differently or needing extra support and so worrying about what people think.

I am in my first year of studying Biosciences. I'm not entirely sure which area specifically that I'd like to go into yet. I noticed your name. Are you a scientist too?

Coolguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2016, 3:59 pm

As far as caring what others think about you, this is instinctive, and can't be simply wished or willed away. What I would do instead is to try and focus on the opinions of you that actually matter, such as those held by your teachers, your football coach, and other such authority figures. You also want to try and surround yourself with people you care about, and who also care about you, and focus on their opinions. And when you get criticism, let it motivate you to do better, instead of just dwelling on it.

As far as feeling stupid, know that intelligence is not scientific, which makes stupidity a subjective term. To see what I mean, check out "Myth of Intelligence" by Patrick Winn.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Oct 2016, 4:10 pm

Nope, I'm not into the sciences; just a student of life, so to speak, who used to be a very frequent mountain hiker and still loves the environment around me.

Coolguy is quite right and I'm 100% with what he says above.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/