Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 5:41 am

In response to the threat of 4$ per gallon gas prices recently issued by oil companies, I am organizing an international "Boycott Gasoline Day." I've got tons of people in my local area participating and I hope to launch a website soon. I'm making signs today which I will post around town. I would appreciate it if you spread the message to friends, family, and other internet forums. The rules are simple: do not buy gas on May 20. If you want to help by making signs and posting them on various telephone poles and bulletin boards, it would be greatly appreciated. We as a people are tired of oil companies pushing us around and overcharging for gas without justification.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 5:47 am

Todd489 wrote:
The rules are simple: do not buy gas on May 20. .

so, we just buy gas on May 19th and May 21, instead?

what is the point of that?

respectfully,
Merle

sconiecoug
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2007, 6:33 am

Its funny how e-mail changes things! For the last month I have been getting "forwarded messages" about the "gas out." Only they have all been for May 15th. It's a good idea in theory, but sadly it takes more than just a random day to have any effect whatsoever on oil prices.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 May 2007, 7:06 am

I do not own a car and often refuse free rides from family so I'm allready boycotting gas.

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 7:19 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Todd489 wrote:
The rules are simple: do not buy gas on May 20. .

so, we just buy gas on May 19th and May 21, instead?

what is the point of that?

respectfully,
Merle

Exactly the point. Most people would do that (buy on May 19th or May 21st instead). It's a pointless boycott. A better idea would be to use other transportation (city transit system, better still ride a bike)

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:06 am

I don't have a car, so I never buy gas.

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:47 am

The total consumption will be the same....it's just a symbol or something. "Boycotting gas for a day, they'll notice and decrease gas prices" Most people will buy gas every few days to a week, so on one random day there will be a majority of consumers "boycotting" it without it being intentional. I doubt that it'll ever be noticed on a scale higher than a week.

If you don't like to buy it and have to drive, just get a small car that uses less gas.

Last edited by dumbgenius on 10 May 2007, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:49 am

Great, more economic terrorism.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:51 am

Todd489 wrote:
In response to the threat of 4$ per gallon gas prices recently issued by oil companies, I am organizing an international "Boycott Gasoline Day." I've got tons of people in my local area participating and I hope to launch a website soon. I'm making signs today which I will post around town. I would appreciate it if you spread the message to friends, family, and other internet forums. The rules are simple: do not buy gas on May 20. If you want to help by making signs and posting them on various telephone poles and bulletin boards, it would be greatly appreciated. We as a people are tired of oil companies pushing us around and overcharging for gas without justification.

Unfortunately, this only hurts the gas stations. They make about $.15 a gallon regardless of gas prices. The oil companies have us by the balls. It sucks, and the only way to make a change is to change how we buy cars. If everyone were to buy sub-two liter engines, we would use way less fuel. I doubt it would change the price, but we'd use less gas, so the price would hurt less.

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:04 am

Another way you could boycott them is to stop buying anything made of plastic, but I don't see anyone doing that in the near future.

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:08 am

Anubis wrote:
Great, more economic terrorism.

Nah, that would be me if I had bought stock in MS and Starbucks.

jackhippy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2007, 11:21 am

TruenoBlues wrote:
Todd489 wrote:

Unfortunately, this only hurts the gas stations. They make about $.15 a gallon regardless of gas prices. The oil companies have us by the balls. It sucks, and the only way to make a change is to change how we buy cars. If everyone were to buy sub-two liter engines, we would use way less fuel. I doubt it would change the price, but we'd use less gas, so the price would hurt less.

Thank you! I run a gas station and we actually make less than $.10/gallon on average. I get constant complaints about the prices and the funny thing is...the complainers are usually driving SUV's! If you don't like gas prices, drive an economical car. If you can afford to drive an SUV, I'm sure you can afford to buy a VW Golf or something along those lines.
Maybe if everyone drove vehicles that got at least 30 mpg, we wouldn't be dependent on foreign oil.

Of course, more economical vehicles are the quick fix. How about, instead of boycotting gas, write your local lawmaker and demand that they reserve more money for alternative fuel research. We've been to the moon but we can't develop a stable, renewable energy source...Good Grief!! !

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. My epiphany was less grandiose. It was quite the opposite. I realized I was talking to myself, but no one was listening.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 May 2007, 11:48 am

What are the best 5 cars, for cost of gas?

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2007, 11:50 am

ELECTRIC CARS!

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:33 pm

Claradoon wrote:
What are the best 5 cars, for cost of gas?

My list doesn't include hybrids, and all are manual transmissions:

Toyota Echo (no longer produced)
Honda Fit
Toyota Yaris/Vitz
Toyota Corolla
Volks Wagon Jetta TDI (Diesel)

All will get 40+ MPG.

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:33 pm

Well it starts with 1 day boycotts. If you tell someone not to buy gas for a whole week they'll punch you in the face. Noone minds a day. Then next week do two days. And so on and so forth until you have entire weeks when people don't buy gas. The object is not to hurt oil companies but to get people used to the idea of not driving so much. Personally, I never drive unless it's over a few miles away or if I have to carry my guitar or something. It pisses me off how people drive to school when school is like 3 minutes away.

People are way too dumb, though. You have to trick them into thinking they're fighting a war or else they won't do anything. War on drugs. War on terror. War on obesity. Make everyone think they're all fighting the war against high gas prices and you'll see a lot more bikes and pedestrians. Try to make everyone drive less because it's the intelligent thing to do and you'll get punched in the face. It's sad but it's the truth.