Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:33 pm

Well it starts with 1 day boycotts. If you tell someone not to buy gas for a whole week they'll punch you in the face. Noone minds a day. Then next week do two days. And so on and so forth until you have entire weeks when people don't buy gas. The object is not to hurt oil companies but to get people used to the idea of not driving so much. Personally, I never drive unless it's over a few miles away or if I have to carry my guitar or something. It pisses me off how people drive to school when school is like 3 minutes away.

People are way too dumb, though. You have to trick them into thinking they're fighting a war or else they won't do anything. War on drugs. War on terror. War on obesity. Make everyone think they're all fighting the war against high gas prices and you'll see a lot more bikes and pedestrians. Try to make everyone drive less because it's the intelligent thing to do and you'll get punched in the face. It's sad but it's the truth.

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 7:53 pm

buy a used Nissan Sentra from the late 80s or early 90s that runs good if you're cheap. They usually get 35-40mpg

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:06 pm

Does that mean I can't eat Mexican food that day? :D

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:58 pm

:lol:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 May 2007, 4:20 pm

Thank you! But is there any choice for us automatic types? Does standard use less gas and why?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 4:36 pm

jackhippy wrote:
TruenoBlues wrote:
Todd489 wrote:
In response to the threat of 4$ per gallon gas prices recently issued by oil companies, I am organizing an international "Boycott Gasoline Day." I've got tons of people in my local area participating and I hope to launch a website soon. I'm making signs today which I will post around town. I would appreciate it if you spread the message to friends, family, and other internet forums. The rules are simple: do not buy gas on May 20. If you want to help by making signs and posting them on various telephone poles and bulletin boards, it would be greatly appreciated. We as a people are tired of oil companies pushing us around and overcharging for gas without justification.

Unfortunately, this only hurts the gas stations. They make about $.15 a gallon regardless of gas prices. The oil companies have us by the balls. It sucks, and the only way to make a change is to change how we buy cars. If everyone were to buy sub-two liter engines, we would use way less fuel. I doubt it would change the price, but we'd use less gas, so the price would hurt less.

Thank you! I run a gas station and we actually make less than $.10/gallon on average. I get constant complaints about the prices and the funny thing is...the complainers are usually driving SUV's! If you don't like gas prices, drive an economical car. If you can afford to drive an SUV, I'm sure you can afford to buy a VW Golf or something along those lines.
Maybe if everyone drove vehicles that got at least 30 mpg, we wouldn't be dependent on foreign oil.

Of course, more economical vehicles are the quick fix. How about, instead of boycotting gas, write your local lawmaker and demand that they reserve more money for alternative fuel research. We've been to the moon but we can't develop a stable, renewable energy source...Good Grief!! !

I have heard that much of the cost of gasoline is due to the cost of distributing the gasoline. This could also explain why the cost of gas is higher in rural areas.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 May 2007, 4:38 pm

i dont drive so i pretty much boycott it all the time