Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 1:35 am

When I was growing up in the seventies there was a Barbie Doll I wanted called Malibu Barbie but I never got it, after seeing it on ebay I'm thinking of getting the original 1971 Malibu barbie does anyone think its silly to want to get a barbie doll that I wanted all those years ago?

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 4:00 am

i think that is beautiful.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 9:35 am

Nah, I think it's awesome. :mrgreen:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 9:39 am

Not at all. Lots of non-children people are doll collectors. :)

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 9:50 am

You are an adult, act like one!

Now go buy that Malibu Barbie!! !! !

You should see the magnet toys spread all across my work desk :)

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 10:13 am

Are you trying to express your personal power, like, now that I'm older, I'll have what I couldn't have before?

Does it bring back nice childhood memories?

Is it about the doll itself and how much you still like it?

Anyhow, even if it is silly, is that a bad thing? I think if someone loses all their silliness, they're more likely to become a grumpy old man/woman before their time.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 6:41 pm

DataB4 wrote:
Are you trying to express your personal power, like, now that I'm older, I'll have what I couldn't have before?

Does it bring back nice childhood memories?

Is it about the doll itself and how much you still like it?

Anyhow, even if it is silly, is that a bad thing? I think if someone loses all their silliness, they're more likely to become a grumpy old man/woman before their time.

I think its about the fun times in my childhood when I had this friend who I used to play with and she had one.
She was the only friend I had in primary school and she tried to stop the other kids from bullying me.

I think they bring out reproductions so if I can't get any on ebay I could go looking.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Oct 2016, 6:48 pm

No. Go for it

~King Of The Hill

"Hear all, trust nothing"

~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 6:51 pm

Totally not silly. One of the joys of being an adult is spoiling your inner child from time to time.

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2016, 7:03 pm

Not at all. It's adorable. I've done plenty of things that I wanted to do when I was little but couldn't, and I think a lot of people can say the same thing. There's a great feeling that comes with finally accomplishing it, like fulfilling a long-standing goal, or relieving an itch that you've needed to scratch for ages.

Although honestly, this made me think of this from The Addams Family Values:

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 7:13 pm

Not silly at all :) I have done this with a couple of things from my childhood. Treat yourself!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 5:28 am

No, not at all. My mum and her 3 siblings grew up in the 60s-70s and they have just purchased each a soft toy of characters from 'Banana Splits', because they didn't have soft toys of those characters when they were children.

Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 5:51 am

i think that's the kind of thing that's really worth spending disproportionate money or time or effort on, for yourself or as a gift to someone you know well. nothing can replace that emotional link to your childhood

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 5:53 am

I finally got my baby bwue bwankie returned to me in my 40s, so there is IMHO nothing wrong with wanting your Malibu Barbie at the same age. :wtg:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 9:03 am

Buy it!! !! Not silly at all! :D

Because my family is fractured, parents died while I was still a young adult, family house was sold, I never got to keep any of my childhood stuff that even people of my age now probably still have at their elderly parents' house, I lost all my things I would have liked to still have, including a set of very nice books.

Those books are now highly prized by collectors. I wanted to "recreate" about ten years worth of the books I was given for Christmas each year, so I spent years on e-bay buying copies of the ones I remember and felt most nostalgic about.

It actually took ten years to do, as some of the prices are so high, I had to wait to get a bargain as I strictly limited myself on what I could spend. I love the fact that I "still have" those books even though I had to buy them again.

A family member stole a particular item from me that was a gift from a friend when my first kitten died. It took YEARS to find it on e-bay but one day there was another exactly like it, and I bought that too.

Go ahead and buy that thing from your childhood that you never got to have, or had and lost. I think more people do this kind of thing than we suspect, I sure did.

If you have a problem with something I post, something I believe, something I do or say, something in my sig, or something I am stupid enough to share that I'm struggling with and being caused pain by -- TELL ME TO MY FACE so that I can defend myself, instead of see you make a mockery of or a dig about it later.

On the other hand, friends will never need an explanation, and enemies bent on disliking me will never accept one.

ASD Level 1, PTSD. Plus anxiety with panic attacks, mild sub-clinical situational depression -- and a massive case of sheer freakin' BURNOUT.

~ ~ ~

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 10:23 am

That doesn't seem silly to me. It's natural to buy things to build the childhood that you wanted around you. I think you should buy it.

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645