Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jewels_1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2016, 4:58 pm

I've been doing volunteer work at a hospital gift shop for a few months now. I've been learning a lot of new things from retail to operating the cash register. When we switched the cash register from the old one to touch screen, I was able to pick up on it quickly, at least compared to my co-volunteers (they're older than me).

Also occurring is my old manager is getting ready to retire due to health problems and is planning on volunteer w/ the gift shop. My new manager asked me if I was interested in taking her old job. It's basically what I'm doing now plus it involves putting data into the inventory system. It became recently available so I submitted an application online. However there are a couple of issues.

First, my new manager told me I couldn't tell the other volunteers about this. I understand why there's one lady who could really get upset because she's been there a long time and she's unhappy with the shop. I can keep a secret well, but it's hard when there's constant chatter about the changes in the gift shop that are occurring, which leaves to my second issue.

My old manager suddenly shows interest in this job because I think she wants to stay busy. I can see her getting because she's been manager three times (that's another story) and she knows the gift shop inside and out. However she is not computer literate (which is where the inventory system is). She can work the cash register just fine, but it took her some time to learn it and she and others have always asked me for help when something goes wrong. I wish my new manager was in charge of hiring this position (technically her assistant) but HR and Board of Executives (from what I've been told) are the ones who are going to make the final decision. My old manager seems to think she has it in the bag due to her being there a long time and knowing everyone. I am nervous that she could get the job over me due to more experience and knowledge compared to me despite not being fit for this job. Because of her health and not being all that familiar with operating the inventory system, it may be too much for her.

My new manager knows out of the two of us at least I'm more fit for the job despite only being there for a few months, but besides putting in a good word for me, there's not much she can do. I'm also aware that because the job posting is online, other people outside the gift shop could apply. I want this job because my major in school involves computer work and data entry and this looks great on my resume. I've been stressed out due to the threat of my old manager getting this job and having to keep the fact that I've applied as well a secret. Also it's been almost a week since I applied and I haven't heard anything back. I am worried that if my old manager does get this job, I won't be able to handle it well. Ironically if someone new comes in, I don't think I would be as upset but my emotions can be unpredictable sometimes. Another thing I should mention is that this is my first time really applying for any job. I've been in school since I've graduated high school and I tend to get overwhelmed so easily so having a job for me on top of school work would had been too much at the time.

My biggest worry is that the dynamic between me and the other volunteers and my old manager will change for the worse. I fear if I keep this a secret too long, they would upset with me for not telling them right away. And if I let them know, they would be salty. I'm just tired of being stressed out over this. The gift shop to me is where I can learn new things relevant in my future career and life in general. It's also where I can relax a little up until my new manager got promoted. How do I handle all this without burning bridges? Sorry to ramble on, but this is how I think and I can't simplified things.

Sheila Nye
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2016, 9:19 pm

Do the interview etc. Let the bosses decide on who they want. Meanwhile, when the other volunteers talk or speculate about the changes

maybe you can stay neutral and say general stuff like "yeah it will be interesting to see what happens" or "yeah the new touch screen is different"...

Yes, relationships with co-workers, and co-volunteers will change when you get promoted\get a paid job.

If confronted about applying after you do get a paid job, you can shrug your shoulders and say "oh I dunno, I just fill out an application on a whim is all".

Meanwhile, now is not the time to hang out socially w the other volunteers outside of the gift shop.

I never hung w my co-workers much so when I did get promoted although the relationships changed, I was distant enough where no one freaked out too much.

Best to you!

jewels_1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2016, 10:56 am

I still haven't been contacted for the interview yet. Today is one of the days I go in so I'll see how it goes. I think I have at least a decent relationship w/ all the volunteers I work with. I understand not wanting to hang out w/ coworkers outside of the job but I'm still considering going to the retirement party for a couple of hours at least. I probably won't drink much though. I'll post later if anything happens later today.

Sheila Nye
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2016, 11:07 am

A retirement party is not really what I mean by "don't hang out with coworkers."

I mean more like not seeing people "socially" outside of work or work functions.

Having a drink limit at office parties or etc is a good thing I think.

Waiting is difficult so again I wish you the very best!

jewels_1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2016, 12:26 pm

Oh ok lol when I got there my old manager came to her senses and approach me about the job. She and my new manager both told me they would contact me and that I'm a likely candidate. God has a funny way of having everything work out lol.

Now apparently there's a miscommunication between them concerning telling the other volunteer I work w/ today and Friday. My new manager tells me not to bc she may react badly (but I think she's gotta find out eventually). But then my old manager just lets the cat out of the bag in front of her. She seemed happy for me and she asked me about it a little bit. Inside I'm thinking how would my new manager feel that said volunteer now knows! I just don't want any awkwardness between us.

Last thing thank you for your wishes. :)

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 10:50 am

When or if i get a paid job and have to leave my volunteer position, I don't think it would be as dramatic as a retirement party, obviously at this point in time having only done 2 months volunteering but just a simple "goodbye and hope or probably see you again sometime". I don't know if the company I have with who I work with is pleasant to them or a burden because I am quiet most of the time and only initiate a conversation about something that is currently happening or linked to latest news or events.

I overhear them saying they all get together at the pub at the end of the week, but it's illogical for me to go because I only work part-time plus I wouldn't fit in, they are much older than I am and smoke alot.

But as it stands my chronic failure at interviews will just continue and I feel like i'm doomed to be volunteering for the rest of my life.

jewels_1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2016, 11:20 am

Just wanna post an update. HR called me and after going through the process for a couple of weeks I got the job! I will be making $9/hr and I'm only working 8-10 hours per week but I'm happy regardless. My first official day is today! However I still have to volunteer four hours a week but I don't mind it all that much. Just in time for the holidays.