Best and worst people to reveal your ASD/Aspie diagnosis to?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 10:38 am

I had a similar experience when I was very young, Sheila.

I didn't talk until I was 5 1/2.

I was diagnosed as autistic when I was about 3. That was in 1964

Institutionalization was recommended. My mother also told the doctor to "stuff it."

I was an "info dumper" as well. I'm not exactly sure if my voice was a monotone.

I learned how to read when I was about four. Phonics wasn't used, though. I used to get zeroes in phonics. The teacher thought that was weird LOL

My father always sort of knew I had a disability---but he still taught me about the countries of the world, and bought me an encyclopedia. My mother did all the bureaucratic stuff---but, after I started talking, she didn't teach me much.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 11:53 am

Best: Teaching assistant - never known anyone so understanding of my condition and what best a situation than to monitor your wellbeing whilst learning but not saying it was all good, there had been some bad days.

Worst: Dad - trying not to be too harsh but men are the least understanding but most of all my father, in his eyes its worse than cancer. Also went to a disability employment agency, the women were much more friendly than the men, one man for instance just dispensed with my condition and threw me in the deep end rather than taking it slow and calm.

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2016, 1:06 pm

JakeASD wrote:
Why is it necessarily a bad thing to divulge that you are on the spectrum to your employer?

My potential new employers (I have received a conditional offer) have been nothing but supportive of me and my condition.

It's just not a good idea to reveal this kind of information especially if you have a steady job. I was one of those people and when I mentioned it, after working there for 5 years upper management demoted me immediately to cashier clerk so I tried to get fired but couldn't. I had a nervous breakdown and put my two weeks in, then I had to deal with my familiy BS why I decided to quit..It was just better to shut up.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 1:45 pm

The_Gimp wrote:
JakeASD wrote:
Why is it necessarily a bad thing to divulge that you are on the spectrum to your employer?

My potential new employers (I have received a conditional offer) have been nothing but supportive of me and my condition.

It's just not a good idea to reveal this kind of information especially if you have a steady job. I was one of those people and when I mentioned it, after working there for 5 years upper management demoted me immediately to cashier clerk so I tried to get fired but couldn't. I had a nervous breakdown and put my two weeks in, then I had to deal with my familiy BS why I decided to quit..It was just better to shut up.

I think it depends in part on how well you function. I find communication to be immensely difficult, so for me personally it's prudent to divulge that I am on the spectrum.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 1:53 pm

My parents pretty well know about my aspie diagnosis since it the doctor told them about it before she told me. In fact she didn't think I should even know I had Asperger's. My parents knew better.

I don't know who the best or worst people are to reveal that you're an aspie to since different people react differently to it. But I don't feel the need to tell complete strangers unless I think it's absolutely necessary.

Lonehiker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2016, 2:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Best: Your lover who has ASD

Worst: Your employer

Interesting. I strongly suspect my gf has ASD and am contemplating telling her my diagnosis.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 6:35 pm

My family are the only ones that I know are aware. I suspect there'd be no point in telling anyone else unless they asked. Even with family I'm not sure there's any benefit, but "your mileage may vary".

So best people to reveal to may be family. Worst may also be family. Other aspies are probably the only ones who will ever "get it". A school bully is a definite no-go on the reveal.

TristahK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2016, 3:40 am

I dont tell anyone of my AS because if I did they would probabily start asking about it and commenting, wich would escalate to a long conversation. I hate conversations, thus I rather have people belive im just weird.

Only my family and maybe the school psycologist knows about it. Everyone else just sees me as the biggest nerd in existence.