Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mended
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2016, 1:38 am

Chichikov wrote:
mended wrote:
I look 15 to 20 years younger than I am. Which is nice as I am in my 50s. I think this is related to AS as I have always kept regular hours, got to bed early, avoided alcohol, took the recommended amount of exercise, ate the recommended healthy foods, avoided getting sunburn, never smoked etc. This has all added up to a well-preserved face and body.

You say you think it is related to AS and then list things that are related to a healthy lifestyle rather than AS, so isn't it the healthy lifestyle that is responsible and not AS?

AS directs my focus of interest towards health and exercise. And not in a vague way.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 2:26 am

They think that of me too; i have been carded buying alcohol when i was 22 (the drinking age was still 16 at that point).

I think that the "childlike wonder" indeed has something to do with it, but also the fact that we (typically) have a less toned (to the point of pre-pubescense for some) bodies and an actually younger face.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 4:02 am

candleghost wrote:
dianthus wrote:
I'm 38 and still get mistaken for a college student and people don't believe me when I tell them my age.

One reason is because I've never spent a lot of time out in the sun - I'm pale and I sunburn easily, and sunlight gives me headaches. Another reason, probably like most others here, is I tend to have neutral or very subtle facial expressions...I have some eye wrinkles but no deep creases in my face.

Other than that, I guess there is something a little babyish about my face...and yeah people used to tell me I look innocent. People used to apologize to me if they said a swear word in front of me. lol

:lol: People used to apologize for swearing in front of me, too. Or, "I didn't know you swore!"

Those are two other good points; the lack of being in the sun due to over-stimulation as well as having a neutral facial expression. Those, I can relate to as well.

Haha, people apologise for swearing around me too! Actually that was what happened with my manager yesterday, he was bantering with some of my co-workers and he told me to cover my ears, since I'm "only a teenager" :lol: . I've also had the "I didn't know you swore!" a few times too lol.

Lack of sun is coming up a lot here; I hate direct sunlight, too - it makes my skin crawl for some reason.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 4:46 am

I once took an online test that told me I looked like an 18-year-old when I was in fact 20.

I should take it again to see if I still look like an 18-year-old.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 5:19 am

I got carded at 32. At that point, I really enjoyed it :D

On a more serious note: I'm ok with people thinking I'm younger. I'm quite childish in some ways, so looking younger lets people give me some slack.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 8:32 am

I'm 30 and I have the uncomfortable situation of getting hit on my high schoolers sometimes (twice this month). I don't know if it's a combination of my mannerisms or willingness to talk to anyone, or if it is more the fact that I just look young in general.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:04 am

I look half my age, but it can also be a problem, fore they Assume incompetence. :roll:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 3:56 pm

I'm 26, but many people believe that I am in my mid-to-late teens.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 8:33 pm

I'm another to whom people apologize about swearing around me, and I never understood why -- particularly since I myself also swear prodigiously when the need is pressing! :lol:

I've also always been mistaken by strangers for at least anything from 10 to 20 years younger, sometimes more.

A couple of months ago, a man who is not that many years older than me was surprised when I informed him of my age (he was saying things like "of course, you're not old enough to remember that situation when it happened" and in fact I was). He was not flattering me or being "nice" -- he was genuinely surprised and looked embarrassed and he said "I thought you might be 25, 29..."

He had been exceedingly patronizing in an unpleasant, dismissive way, so I think hearing my actual age made him feel like he should reassess how he'd been treating me. He was an ass.

To be honest, it can actually be a serious pain in the ass and cause real problems in the way one is perceived. I feel it means I have to work twice as hard as most people to show that I can be taken seriously in a serious conversation.

I feel I am never taken seriously even when I'm being perfectly serious in my manner, facial expression, regulating my tone of voice, etc.

I'm constantly underestimated and have to work hard to convince people I know what I'm talking about (this is all in real life situations where they are looking at me right in front of them).

Just this past week, I've had three separate occasions on which someone was unbelievably condescending to me in a way that I think most people would feel at least some degree of offense about.

It's plain insulting to be 54 and still treated like a little girl who can be dismissed and talked down to.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:05 pm

I've been told I look younger than I am, its got to the stage that I refuse to give my age because I'm sick of people saying "You don't look it"

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:54 pm

I'm quite androgynous, so it's often hard to tell my gender, never mind whether I look 12.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 9:27 pm

I'm told that I look younger than I am, and generally are surprised when I disclose my real age. I'm the eldest of four, but people seem to think that my two younger sisters are older than I am.

Secret is, I dab some paraformaldehyde on my face before going to sleep. ;)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 12:58 am

I paid children's price for movies when I was 16 and my id was checked to see if I was underage in bars when I was 30. The drinking age was 18 at the time. I still have a full head of hair although it is half grey.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RubyTates
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Nov 2016, 1:26 am

I'm in my mid 20s and someone came up to me the other day and commented that i looked as if I had just "ran away from school." I don't mind this, as I'll probably enjoy it when I'm older - but it makes it very difficult to be taken seriously in the working world. Since I look so young, ppl equate that with inexperience and are always giving me a hard time for it.

Then again, I look at women my age and they are already showing signs of being "haggered" with forhead lines and what not - so I don't necessarily envy them. :)

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 1:46 am

I look my age, and I'm not sure whether to be jealous of those who look younger or not.

I can understand it being difficult if you looked 5+ years younger, but looking 1-4 years younger surely couldn't hurt once you're about 22 or so (and look 18-20).

Keep in mind the legal drinking age here is 18.

The other day a doctor guessed I was 19. I'll be 18 in a few weeks.

I've been told I'm quite built for 17.

By no means ripped or muscular, but I've already "filled-out" and have my "young adult male" body. I work out casually so my muscle gains must have accelerated this process. There's guys I went to high school with who still have the awkward teen lanky look.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Nov 2016, 9:03 am

I wrote a post on this before. It was one of the many things that makes my life much harder than it needs to be. I will be 27 in less than two months and facially look 16. My face and even my voice never matured beyond that of 16 year old.

My body never changed either - I still have the same build and weight as I did when I was 16. My hips never even went through the typical 'widening" of most women my age. I am constantly confused for a teenager and treated like one too because of this. It used to make me furious but sometimes I just go along with it, other times it's humiliating. Especially when teens think I'm their equal and talk to me as though I was one of them, both socially and even romantically. I get no respect.