Confused on some online advice!

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 9:25 pm

"You are right where you need to be in life right now."

I don't get this life advice.

Yep I'm right where I need to be? depressed? No job! Trying to get on SSI From Oct. 2015- ??? (sometime 2017 HOPEFULLY getting disability fixed)

YEP! You are right where you need to be! Keep playing video games and getting your SSI check in 2017 just like you have been since 18 right?! !! ! (age 30 now)

You are RIGHT WHERE YOU NEED TO BE! (new video games come out) YEP! keep playing video games! DOING NOTHING WITH YOUR LIFE!

YOU ARE RIGHT WHERE YOU NEED TO BE!

Also being on different paths/journeys etc. Your time will come???

I feel It won't if you don't try to BETTER YOURSELF! My time will come WHEN?! Not sitting around doing nothing IT WONT!

I don't get this advice!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 9:28 pm

Just because its on the internet doesn't mean its accurate.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 9:49 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:

Yep I'm right where I need to be? depressed? No job! Trying to get on SSI From Oct. 2015- ??? (sometime 2017 HOPEFULLY getting disability fixed)

YEP! You are right where you need to be! Keep playing video games and getting your SSI check in 2017 just like you have been since 18 right?! ! ! ! (age 30 now)

You are RIGHT WHERE YOU NEED TO BE! (new video games come out) YEP! keep playing video games! DOING NOTHING WITH YOUR LIFE!

I feel It won't if you don't try to BETTER YOURSELF! My time will come WHEN?! Not sitting around doing nothing IT WONT!

I don't get this advice!

That advice is BS and you are right. Changes do not happen on their own. Video games will not change your life and are really just another drug. Fun, but can be overdone and life consuming. If you were sitting around doing drugs people would say different things... but is it all that different?

Do something then. What do you want to do that's productive?

broccolichowder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2016, 9:54 pm

Where did this online advice come from?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 10:19 pm

broccolichowder wrote:
Where did this online advice come from?

I read it online a lot. You are right where you are supposed to be right now in life. It doesn't focus on needing to change your life circumstances or other things YOU NEED to do with your life. Just sitting back and analyzing it it's sh***y advice really.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 10:21 pm

beakybird wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:

YEP! You are right where you need to be! Keep playing video games and getting your SSI check in 2017 just like you have been since 18 right?! ! ! ! (age 30 now)

I don't get this advice!

That advice is BS and you are right. Changes do not happen on their own. Video games will not change your life and are really just another drug. Fun, but can be overdone and life consuming. If you were sitting around doing drugs people would say different things... but is it all that different?

Do something then. What do you want to do that's productive?

I'm not sure. Good way of putting it. I don't try to view my gaming as "a drug" but have lessened how many I buy and have been depressed not wanting to play much. What I want to do I'm not 100% sure yet but I know it's not finally get SSI fixed and go back to buying/playing games all the time. In moderation YES! All the time NO!

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:35 pm

Well time to start thinking of what it is you'd like to try to so with yourself. You have to start there. Then you can figure out how you can make that happen. Easier said than done but it can be done.

Caelum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Oct 2016, 10:13 pm

I don't think this advice is general advice. It's for people who perceive themselves to be a little behind their peer group, (not as well off at the 5 or 10 year high school reunion,) and are discouraged and letting it get to them to the point they stop trying to better themselves. So they need to hear that they're doing fine, even though they can't keep up with the Jones's and to keep on doing what they're doing.

For most of the rest of us, it sounds like pretty bad advice, actually.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 12:15 am

Hugs

I take it you feel really guilty about playing video games?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 5:32 pm

sly279 wrote:
Hugs

Yes I do at times. Yet others I enjoy them. I'm torn! :-(

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 8:03 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Hugs

Yes I do at times. Yet others I enjoy them. I'm torn! :-(

Why do you feel guilty about it?