Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:06 am

Hyperlexia is basically the opposite of dyslexia. I have it, and it makes me read way too fast for it to be worth buying comic books. I can read an average sized novel in a day if I'm allowed to. What's the point of spending all that money on comics just for a half hour of reading material? Am I the only one with this problem? Also, is there a place online or something that sells cheap comic books?

Dwarvyn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2016, 6:38 am

I have the same 'problem' :)

More than once in high school I'd go to the bookstore, buy a novel, read it that night, and return it the next day. Spending $10-12 on a novel that I finish in 3-5 hours just isn't worth it.

You could try the library for comics, sometimes they stock them.

Or webcomics. Some of the longer-running ones can take 3-4 days to get caught up on the archives. Depending on your interests, you could try Gunnerkrigg Court (fantasy-tech), Erfworld (comedic fantasy RPG), Dominic Deegan (dark comedic fantasy, series has ended), XKCD (nerdy comedy), Star Power (light-hearted super hero, fairly new so not much in the archives yet), Dreamland Chronicles (fantasy), Grrl Power (comedic super hero, once again small set of archives).

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 9:35 am

Thanks for the recommendations! I usually try to space out my reading sessions so I don't finish my books so often. I also read thicker books.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 8:46 pm

...I am a very fast reader too , ~ Do you mean only webcomics and no other kind of comics :roll: :( ?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 8:52 pm

Graphic novels and longer-running webcomics are good, but superhero comic books are way too thin. I was given a few for free at an event once and I read all of them on the short car ride home.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 9:02 pm

...Assuming that you mean standard 32-page issues of SH comic books - BELIEVE ME , YES ~ I can emphasize :P ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!
Especially since they have tended to adopt the " writing to the trade "/" decompression " approach ~ big pictures and very few words :-x ~ to storytelling :evil: :P ! :skull: :?

rats_and_cats wrote:
Graphic novels and longer-running webcomics are good, but superhero comic books are way too thin. I was given a few for free at an event once and I read all of them on the short car ride home.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Dwarvyn

21 Oct 2016, 6:43 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Assuming that you mean standard 32-page issues of SH comic books - BELIEVE ME , YES ~ I can emphasize :P ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Especially since they have tended to adopt the " writing to the trade "/" decompression " approach ~ big pictures and very few words :-x ~ to storytelling :evil: :P ! :skull: :?

I don't mind the big pictures and few words... as long as there's enough content to justify the cost. Samurai Jack (the cartoon; I haven't read the comics) had very little dialogue. There was at least one entire episode that had none at all. It was done very well, and I highly recommend watching it if you have the chance.

rats_and_cats wrote:

I get comics for Christmas every once in a while, and while I enjoy them, they're gone in under 15 minutes.

There was a local bookstore here that used to stock a bunch of anthologies. I think you'd get 10-15 black and white comic books in one for under $7.00. They weren't sequential, but rather cherry-picked individual comics that told a story (I've got an X-men Dark Pheonix Saga for example, which skips a bunch of comics when Jean Grey wasn't in the story).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 6:54 am

One can read the same novel 20 times, and come away with 20 different interpretations.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 12:40 pm

Comic books are for eleven year olds anyway.

So if you're mature enough to prefer actual books why go back to being a snotty nosed kid who consumes comic books?

And most of the movies Hollywood cranks out these days are based on comic books anyway. So if you need your fix of DC, or of Marvel, superheroes, you can always watch them on the big screen.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

Comics deal with issues like suicide, LGBT rights, self-acceptance, and so many other things that can resonate with adults as well as kids. They're truly for all ages. They were very important in WWII and were even sent to soldiers to boost morale. They were considered a NECESSITY, along with food and water! Comics have always been meant for everyone, not just for kids. Some series are just for kids, but not the genre as a whole.

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm

The target audience for comics hasn't been preteens since like. The late '80s. And especially with the end of the Dark Age of Comics in the mid-'90s, they've mainly been orienting their stories towards the 20s-30s market. They're dialogue-heavy, big on character development today, often deal with mature or political themes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/U ... ComicBooks

It also varies based on label. Anything put out by Vertigo will probably be very mature and deep, in the style of Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, or Alan Moore. Anything put out by Marvel's Ultimate imprint that isn't Spider-Man will probably be "blood and guts, super-edgy!! !" teen boy-oriented Dark Age-retread stuff.

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2016, 11:31 am

If you are looking for a place to get discounted comic books here are a couple that I am aware of...

www.mycomicshop.com sells them in bulk (usually 3 lbs. or so) by type. You can find them under the tab Value Pack and Supplies on their home page.

Another source is www.tfaw.com On their site they have a tab called Nicks and Dents. This is for individual books, trade paperbacks, and other stuff too.

If you live close to an actual comic shop, they will often times have $1 dollar bins (similar to the Nicks and Dents Idea) and I haven't met a comic book shop owner that wasn't willing to negotiate the on the price; especially for books that are a couple of months old.

Local Craigslist adds are a great way to find books for cheap. A lot of times it is a situation where either the collector just needs to get rid of them, or the collector has passed and the family is trying to get rid of them as part of the estate.

I am sure there are other resources out there that are a quick google search away.

Kind Regards Shark

Secretalien

25 Oct 2016, 10:50 pm

If you are interested in superhero comics, Marvel has a digital service called Marvel Unlimited, which is basically like a Netflix model - you pay $10/mo and can read as many issues as you want (though they don't make new issues available on it for 6 months). The Android app is buggy as ****, but overall it's a decent deal IMO. I had it for a year and probably read 1000+ issues.

Comixology started some similar kind of service recently that includes other publishers, but I looked at it and it was a lot more limited in some way that I can't quite recall. I think maybe you only got the first few issues of each series?

I love comics, but they are a quick read and fairly expensive. :/

Secretalien

25 Oct 2016, 11:07 pm

Pravda wrote:
The target audience for comics hasn't been preteens since like. The late '80s. And especially with the end of the Dark Age of Comics in the mid-'90s, they've mainly been orienting their stories towards the 20s-30s market. They're dialogue-heavy, big on character development today, often deal with mature or political themes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/U ... ComicBooks

It also varies based on label. Anything put out by Vertigo will probably be very mature and deep, in the style of Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, or Alan Moore. Anything put out by Marvel's Ultimate imprint that isn't Spider-Man will probably be "blood and guts, super-edgy!! !" teen boy-oriented Dark Age-retread stuff.

Marvel dropped the Ultimates line last year, though Miles is somehow now in the regular comics line. I guess nobody liked the other characters in that line enough to bother with them, probably on account of them mostly being jerks or dead.

Also DC brought half the Vertigo properties back into the regular DC line - now Vertigo is just the creator-owned titles and I guess John Constantine can team up with Batman or whatever.

I think Image is largely where it's at for mature (and I mean that in both senses) titles these days. Saga, for example, is amazing and beautiful and I would 100% recommend it to anyone over 16 (but definitely not 12-year olds!).

VasNeema
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2016, 6:28 am

Last edited by VasNeema on 26 Oct 2016, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 7:56 am

rats_and_cats wrote:
Also, is there a place online or something that sells cheap comic books?

If you want digital versions there are free websites . If you dont mind the legal aspect you could always download torrents.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard