Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 5:11 pm

Tifa Lockheart and Samus Aran can defend themselves just fine by their own, thank you.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 3:59 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
(this is a reversal of that classic question of "what is it that makes a man a man"?)

is it her physical traits?

is it her helplessness to act or defend herself againts an instance of rape or violence?

is it her ability to think twice more often than men?

is it her ultimate passion to express herself in ways men could never do?

I know that some of my questions may suggest that I may have misconceptions about women but, since I am a male-to-female transgender, I am trying to figure out this very question so that I can have more clarity in my pursuit of becoming a woman.

Thank you. :) :heart:

A woman is a woman because of her neurological and hormonal make-up. Even trans women have distinct neurological and hormonal differences from cis men. Gender roles are socially prescribed but your gender identity is something you have no control over.

The vast majority of women are cisgendered so that suggests that gender identity has a significant biological component. Ypur gender expression, on the other hand, is completely subjective and it's really up to you and what kind of person that you are.

I am cisgendered and even though I am comfortable as a female I have always been a tomboy. I'm not attempting to be more masculine or consciously changing my behaviour to fit that role. I just happen to be that sort of person. Some women are very effeminate and, likewise, they never really had to try to be that way. It just came naturally to them, as it should. How you define your womanhood is up to you.

Incidentally I am somewhat concerned by the part in your post in which you mentioned women's "helplessness" to stand up to rape and violence. I would think of one is a victim of violence or rape then a man would be (or at least feel) as helpless as any woman in that situation. I also think it is a dangerous thing to suggest that women are helpless, considering that women created feminism and we sort of helped ourselves.

But yeah, it's ultimately up to you how you define being a woman.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 6:28 pm

MindBlind wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
(this is a reversal of that classic question of "what is it that makes a man a man"?)

is it her physical traits?

is it her helplessness to act or defend herself againts an instance of rape or violence?

is it her ability to think twice more often than men?

is it her ultimate passion to express herself in ways men could never do?

I know that some of my questions may suggest that I may have misconceptions about women but, since I am a male-to-female transgender, I am trying to figure out this very question so that I can have more clarity in my pursuit of becoming a woman.

Thank you. :) :heart:

A woman is a woman because of her neurological and hormonal make-up. Even trans women have distinct neurological and hormonal differences from cis men. Gender roles are socially prescribed but your gender identity is something you have no control over.

The vast majority of women are cisgendered so that suggests that gender identity has a significant biological component. Ypur gender expression, on the other hand, is completely subjective and it's really up to you and what kind of person that you are.

I am cisgendered and even though I am comfortable as a female I have always been a tomboy. I'm not attempting to be more masculine or consciously changing my behaviour to fit that role. I just happen to be that sort of person. Some women are very effeminate and, likewise, they never really had to try to be that way. It just came naturally to them, as it should. How you define your womanhood is up to you.

Incidentally I am somewhat concerned by the part in your post in which you mentioned women's "helplessness" to stand up to rape and violence. I would think of one is a victim of violence or rape then a man would be (or at least feel) as helpless as any woman in that situation. I also think it is a dangerous thing to suggest that women are helpless, considering that women created feminism and we sort of helped ourselves.

But yeah, it's ultimately up to you how you define being a woman.

Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it! :D :heart:

Don't be, now I feel a little more confident about women defending themselves. It's just that, at the time I made this thread, I felt a little down and hopeless about feminism.

-Thomas Jefferson

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 6:30 pm

^Yes, Tifa Lockheart and Samus Aran want a word with you about that.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 9:35 am

A bit off-topic, but I think it's doing real-life badass women a disservice to only present fictional examples.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 4:01 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
As I said, the term female is for "official" use. That's why the DMV asks if you're female, not if you're a woman.

If you don't believe me about the casual usage of "female", it's easy to check for yourself. Wait until the next time you see a heated discussion of gender issues on the internet, and browse the comments. See how many men say "female" versus how many women do. Also check how many of those men are making misogynistic statements. I think you'll see there's a correlation.

I use female a lot in general speech, so I can't really assume use of it in that way implies one is misogynistic, I think that correlation may be more of a coincidence, plenty of misogynistic guys use the word women/woman when making such statements as well.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 4:08 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Masculinity and femininity are therefore seen as traits independent of what your body is.

In my view, all aspects of what is considered masculine or feminine behavior are social constructs. It's one of the reasons, I believe, why aspies so often have trouble fitting into the gender binary system. That system is just an extension of the unspoken social rules and values that we sometimes don't understand and to which we sometimes don't care to adhere.
Though, if a person acknowledges that masculinity and femininity are traits independent of the body then what is the point in that person undergoing surgery to resemble the opposite sex? It still seems to me like it's a bowing to societal pressure, an attempt to make oneself appear the way society expects. As I said, I respect peoples' rights to do whatever they want with their own bodies, but I think it is sad if the motivation for surgery is external.

But its not about what appearance society expects it's about what appearance the person is more comfortable with. Also its not just about 'resembling' the opposite sex, its becoming more common for people to go through transitional treatment/surgery which I think effects more than just appearance. I get the impression the motivation is very much internal in most cases not that its due to any outside pressure...if anything it is more common for people to pressure such individuals not to go through with transitioning.