New Nintendo console is now offically called Nintendo Shift

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 9:58 am

Here's the first look video Nintendo put out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

It looks like it could be decent, but I'm still on the fence about it. The controllers for handheld play look so tiny and don't look impressive to me. Plus my biggest worry is games. Nintendo really needs the console to be good so third party companies don't leave like they usually do. I feel most people that buy Nintendo consoles do buy it for Mario, Zelda and so on.. but it being on par with Sony and Microsoft for once would be a nice thing IMO.

Release date is March 2017. They need to have a strong lineup: Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing would be my picks.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 11:35 am

Intersting. Was thinking of getting the Wii U soon but maybe I should just wait for this. Or wait for this and likely the Wii U price will drop.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 11:44 am

I personally just find it boring...no real new ideas, playing it safe, but then I don't see the other two making much new either so there's little to choose from.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 3:18 pm

I think I will just hold off on it. I have enough game systems.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:01 pm

It's not called Shift, it's called Switch. What I found surprising is that there is no children in the ad, which is rather unusual for Nintendo; I guess they want to seduce more the young adults market.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:22 pm

Tollorin wrote:
It's not called Shift, it's called Switch. What I found surprising is that there is no children in the ad, which is rather unusual for Nintendo; I guess they want to seduce more the young adults market.

Oops, my bad.

The ad was a bit cheesy. I suppose it could draw in more teens and adults. If it has the power to do big name games, then it will be even better. If its literally just a Mario, Zelda and Smash console again.. I see it being the Wii U all over again. I wonder how much a portable can even compare to a PS4 or Xbox One. There's no way it will be on par with most gaming PCs I would bet. I can ignore the lack of power if it has the games. In my view- Nintendo has been king of first party games for a while now, they do more exclusives than Sony and Microsoft. Switch really needs the third party games to appeal to non-Nintendo fans, then it will be successful.

Drakensson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2016, 10:00 pm

yes, and all the supporters like Ubisoft and Activision, are propably, like always before, retreat eventually

i dont have hope for nintendo anymore

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 3:52 am

Hm, it's an interesting device. The size of the controller thing and it's screen wouldnt concern me... it's looking to be a very similar size (the screen part) or a little bigger than what the Wii U uses (and that thing is plenty large, definitely).

But those that arent already into Nintendo aint likely to get anything out of this one. One way or another Nintendo is freaking legendary for very bad relations with third-party publishers. They're risky to work with, particularly when the other two are already there and associated with "hardcore" gamers (which I type with extreme sarcasm). Perhaps they'll do a bit better with it this time around... but I dont expect much.

Not that I personally have any issue with this: The other two consoles put out nothing, nothing whatsoever, that I could care about. My PS4 is just a dust collection machine. And it is missing. ....and I dont really care enough to look for it right now. Damn thing will show up eventually.

I'll likely buy this thing, because there's no reason not to, but it sure aint going to be changing my focus, which is and likely always will be on PC games. What I'm interested in from Nintendo is Mario, Pokemon, and Splatoon... dont really care about their other franchises (including Zelda). When they've got those, I'll probably give the thing a go.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 11:45 am

Unlike the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U which all use IBM PowerPC processors, the Switch uses an ARM processor developed by Nvidia. This probably means that the Switch will not be backwards compatible with Wii or Wii U games. Emulating a system like the Wii U would take a ton of CPU power, which only the most powerful PCs as of now can deliver, and would be inaccurate.

Misery wrote:
I'll likely buy this thing, because there's no reason not to, but it sure aint going to be changing my focus, which is and likely always will be on PC games. What I'm interested in from Nintendo is Mario, Pokemon, and Splatoon... dont really care about their other franchises (including Zelda). When they've got those, I'll probably give the thing a go.

Yeah, that's basically how Nintendo has always been known for. They release really amazing first party and second party games, but fail to attract many third party developers other than the ones that release shovelware titles.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 1:25 pm

They missed the ball they should have came out with a system twice as powerful as the Xbox and PS4. Instead they do another gimich that's not as powerful as the current other consoles again >.<
They using an old mobile processor too making it different then the other two and such harder and more expensive to make games for all 3. Even the 3rd party games in the ad aren't really on it. When those developers were asked they said so. Even if it was skrim is like super old and that's how they chose to show what it could do? A PS3/360 game.

I've also heard the battery life is a whopping 3 hours. Wow talk about low. I also hate the little wii type remote they'll still using and these look even smaller.

They'll probably only get the hardcore Nintendo fans which as the Wii U showed wasn't enough. I wonder how many 3dsnpeope will buy it given it's super shorter batter life compared to the 3ds.

I really think they missed the ball like always they'll so stuck up their own arrogance. The early leaks were promising when it sounded like it was going be twice as powerful. They'd stolen a lot of the market if they were twice as powerful and had all the 3rd party games along with their first party games. Now it'll be just their limited slow release 1st party games that just don't interest most people besides fan boys.

Most people aren't fan boys. We swap to whatever system is the best at the time to best experience our 3rd party games. That's why Sony/Microsoft are trying to one up each other. It's why I was ps2 then 360 then PS4. But there's Nintendo just accepting always being the last place and saying we're not about power or graphics we're about the Nintendo experience. Translation: were to lazy to try to be top dog again we've given up. Please buy our system please.

I miss the days of Nintendo being a serious competitor. I was hoping they'd give me a reason to buy their new console. I don't care for any of their 1st party games. Except Mario party 8

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 7:04 am

sly279 wrote:
They missed the ball they should have came out with a system twice as powerful as the Xbox and PS4.

Totally pointless.

Making ALL THREE consoles identical would be.... yeah. Pointless.

And at this point, that's pretty much what would happen. People SERIOUSLY overestimate what graphics can do at this point. We've pretty much hit a stopping point: From here on out, all graphical increases will be very minor in terms of their actual apparent effect. PCs, which are very dramatically more powerful, have already proven this. Over and over. Hell, people that go to PCs for TEH POWAH often eventually end up realizing.... "this isnt really much different". And as someone with a stupidly powerful PC, I can say that this is pretty much true. Water effects become slightly more watery. Shadows become slightly more defined kinda almost maybe. It's not like the leap from the PS2 to the PS3, or the PS1 to the PS2, where the differences were HUGE, and from here on out, it never will be again. Of the Big Three, Nintendo may be the only one that actually realizes ANY of this. Sony and MS sure dont. Just upping the power.... and accomplishing a whole lot of nothing... would just make them the third identical console. I'm sorry, but I've seen enough PSBoxes at this point. Which is what I'm now going to call them, now that I've thought of the term. Because that's what they are to me: So interchangeable that they're basically just one console.

That Nintendo hasnt jumped into that boring heap is something I respect. They also realize that gameplay is more important than graphics.... something I *really* respect. If only more publishers could learn that one simple fact.

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2016, 4:53 am

sly279 wrote:
I wonder how many 3dsnpeope will buy it given it's super shorter batter life compared to the 3ds.

That comment sounds odd considering the 3DS probably has the worst battery life of any Nintendo portable. The original 3DS is only rated for 3-5 hours under normal use. I always thought they should have given it a bigger battery.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 10:20 pm

And there will probably be tons of modern games designed for the more powerful consoles, but run so poorly on the Switch that they won't be able to release them for the Switch.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 2:59 pm

Has anyone tried downloading Fortnight? It must be a big game as it says that it is going to take 71 days to download.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 6:49 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Has anyone tried downloading Fortnight? It must be a big game as it says that it is going to take 71 days to download.
Dude, you bumped a four year old discussion, and given the name, I saw this and thought "whaaaat?" Well, thanks for the intriguing trip back in time anyways.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 6:56 pm

Although i am also reviving old thread. I think I may buy one for going on long vacations.
Especially if going to somewhere to go to study a subject (so a lot of spare time on your hands when not studying).

Also when travelling at airports, on planes, trains etc. a few decent games would be really cool.
The thing i don't like about the switch is that you can't get the learn the guitar game for it (rocksmith)
and some of the other games, which never got ported to the switch which are less family and more adult children orientated.

Switch still better than anything else on the market for handheld game console (with the switch also having tv out etc).