Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 1:38 pm

In 2003 conservative columnist and DSM III
member Charles Krauthammer coined the term "Bush Derangement Syndrome" he defined it as "the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency -- nay -- the very existence of George W. Bush". Since then "derangement syndrome" has been used elsewhere such as "Obama Derangement Syndrome".

I think this idea is very applicable to the reaction to Autism in the 7 or 8 decades since its existence had been known. i would roughly define Autism Derangement Syndrome as
"Paranoia, hate, and irrational reaction to traits --- nay --- the very existence of Autism and often Autistic people."

Some ways in which Autism Derangement Syndrome Presents

So much money spent on cures despite increasing evidence that this is a matter of extreme complexity.

Excuse making for the fillicide of Autisic people to a degree that usually does not exist for other fillicide cases.

The idea that a real nice person has been kidnapped by Autism and he or she can be recovered. This idea goes back to Bettelheim and has continued with endless "alternative treatments". It is seen in the near universal mainstream acceptance of people first language to describe "people with autism" . This idea is seen in studies such as the one I made a thread of claiming or suggesting people can grow out of autism. CampingCat did a great job showing how biased and unscientific that study is. A study with this level of incompetence and bias would usually not get published or attempted by a university. But people are so desperate to get rid of Autism studies like this cause media excitement.

The constant denial that Autistics who are not severe are actually Autistic or have "real autism" and the belittlement of this group with labels such as faker, lazy, excuse maker etc.

Of course life of autistics is difficult and maybe one can grow out of it. If you focus on these realities you are missing the point.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 2:25 pm

There should be other terms like "violent kids derangement syndrome" and "derangement syndrome" to mean people who don't accept someone who is a little different than the others and it doesn't matter if that different person is "normal" or not so as a result they get meanness and hostility from others for being different. Then there are other terms that already exist like transphobia and homophobia and acephobia and biphobia to mean people who are against those who are trans, gay, bisexual, asexual.

Now if I hear about a kid that is violent and hurts other kids and isn't nice to other kids and bullies other kids, I would not want that child near me or my kids so I have violent kids derangement syndrome or abusive kids derangement syndrome. :lol: And a label doesn't even matter, only the behavior.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 2:28 pm

I have met people with this syndrome. There's also a Pit Bull Derangement Syndrome. :(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 2:51 pm

There should also be speech impediment derangement syndrome or language delay or language impairment derangement syndrome and lisp derangement syndrome or stutter derangement syndrome or cluttering derangement syndrome.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 3:17 pm

It is likely there are people with lisp derangement syndrome but just feeling uncomfortable around people who lisp does not count. Lisp derangement syndrome is nowhere near as widespread as Autism Derangement Syndrome. Terrorism Derangement Syndrome is probably a rough equivalent but in that case the hate of the "traits" is rational.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 5:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The idea that a real nice person has been kidnapped by Autism and he or she can be recovered. This idea goes back to Bettelheim and has continued with endless "alternative treatments". It is seen in the near universal mainstream acceptance of people first language to describe "people with autism" .

I don't think that people use the term "people with autism" because they believe that recovery from autism is possible. Based on what has been written about people first language in general, I think that the term "people with autism" is intended to emphasize that personhood is more important and fundamental than having autism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 6:19 pm

starkid wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The idea that a real nice person has been kidnapped by Autism and he or she can be recovered. This idea goes back to Bettelheim and has continued with endless "alternative treatments". It is seen in the near universal mainstream acceptance of people first language to describe "people with autism" .

I don't think that people use the term "people with autism" because they believe that recovery from autism is possible. Based on what has been written about people first language in general, I think that the term "people with autism" is intended to emphasize that personhood is more important and fundamental than having autism.

The two concepts are not the same but similar in that they see autism as seperate from the person.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 3:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It is likely there are people with lisp derangement syndrome but just feeling uncomfortable around people who lisp does not count. Lisp derangement syndrome is nowhere near as widespread as Autism Derangement Syndrome. Terrorism Derangement Syndrome is probably a rough equivalent but in that case the hate of the "traits" is rational.

I have dealt with kids who would make fun of me because I "talked" funny and pick on me and mimic my speech so let's not get into who has it worse contest shall we. :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 3:38 am

League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I have dealt with kids who would make fun of me because I "talked" funny and pick on me and mimic my speech so let's not get into who has it worse contest shall we. :D

It is not a matter of who has it worse but does it fit the definition of derangement syndrome. A person who is "just" uncomfortable around people who lisp would not meet the criteria. If a person is paranoid about the very existence of people who lisp they have Lisp Derangement syndrome.