Dealing with down time/no friends in college

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

arroyoswilliams
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Oct 2016, 6:42 pm

I am in a very social college dorm, but I am not very social. During the week, I am content, but weekends come, and I end up with lots of down time, where I just sit on my computer all day. Other people go off with friends to kill time, but I just don't know how. What are ways/ strategies that you use(d) in college to kill time on weekends. I am afraid that I will start abusing drugs. I tried a job, but family/logistics dissuaded me from it.

Thanks!

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 7:10 pm

I work for the newspaper, so I kill some time by writing/editing articles. Other than that, I spend my time playing video games, reading, and browsing this forum as well as Reddit.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 10:50 pm

Perhaps join a club for something your interested in. That's how I met many of my friends at college.
Or perhaps volunteer for something, or if your college has any events that would interest you, you may try them.

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2016, 10:32 pm

Find something you can improve through dedication of time. Example: currently, I am trying to become a better singer, so I go to a practice room and spend a few hours in there on weekends.

Horizon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2016, 12:38 am

This is me. I'm in uni right now, living on campus and I have no social life/friends. Strangely, I'm pretty content with the situation.
I use my free time to mostly play League of Legends, watch Netflix, and read.
I would suggest to just pick up a hobby.

mended
Raven
Raven

28 Oct 2016, 12:59 am

I took up a solitary sport - running. Eventually I joined a group. I didn't really make any friends through it but become someone people knew. And very fit. Which is attractive.

cato4797
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

You just really have to put out there sometimes, I joined a sports team and a fraternity and do a bunch of other stuff. My social life could probably be a 10 times better, but I'm 100 times better off than if I had not done these things.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2016, 9:27 pm

Dont sit on computer..Engage!

arroyoswilliams
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2016, 2:12 am

Is it realistic to try to join a fraternity with AS? I have friends and family members that have encouraged it, and could probably help me get it. I just don't know if I could possibly fit in.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 9:00 pm

yelekam wrote:
Perhaps join a club for something your interested in. That's how I met many of my friends at college.
Or perhaps volunteer for something, or if your college has any events that would interest you, you may try them.

This 100%. This made my entire college experience, allowed me to have multiple friend groups and even score a few dates. Haha. I got really involved in two of them and was president by senior year, so it can be something extra to put on your resume too.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2016, 7:36 pm

You have to put yourself out there. Try to meet nice people who share your interests (video games, books whatever... Look for video games lol.)

Loneliness and lack of true friends is the worst

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 10:18 pm

when i was at uni (both times i went) i found i didn't like most the people on the courses i was on.
I also needed more solo time than most people. But also wanted to some time with people.
I think it is hard to get a balance as neurotypical people when at uni often end up in cliques who end up
spending all their time together.

I ended up the second time i went to uni, joining clubs that interested me.
Which was a little social but with a constructive interest. This stopped me feeling too lonely and also
gave me some time away from the people who did my head in.

I personally think even for neurotypical people that it isn't healthy to spend all your working hours with a group of people and then go home with them and spend all your recreational time with them as well. Unless their super sexy chicks with the temperament, patience and love of angels. like f**k that will ever happen for an apso...

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 8:57 am

Personally, i was happy with the downtime in my dorm, mine was very social as well, and i could use the weekends to recover and recharge.

If you want to fill your weekends, you can try getting a saturday job, join a club with weekend events, or even ask some dormmates if you can tag along with whatever they are going to do (make sure that you are interested of course)

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2016, 11:54 pm

Join extracurriculars. Join a bunch of them. Just keep going to the meetings until you figure out which ones you like. Then stay in those ones, and even if you don't make friends for the first month, I can almost guarantee by the second month you will. When you make those friends, they will invite you to parties, and you might even wind up moving in with some of them. This will also help you learn to socialize, which will be valuable for the future. I recommend being active in at least 3 or 4 of them - that may sound like a lot, but it's not - they most only meet once a week, often for an hour or less, and I guarantee you can find the time.

Sleepycat001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2018, 10:17 pm

Gaming cafes, spreading out your to do list for one thing a day so that you have something to do al of the time, and I'm recently looking into animal shelters near parks.