Do you hate social situation questions on applications?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 9:45 am

#1 hiccup on those retail applications "What would I do if I had to replace Sue's shift?"

UH? I don't know I don't know anyone named "sue" and I'm not sure what my emotional reaction would or should be?????

ALL retailers the job I was looking for in the past had these types of social situation questions. stealing was another social situation question that confused me.

I know from elementary the social situation of "being bad" "having a bad item" (toy you weren't supposed too)

The safety patrol kids snuck virtual pets and didn't get caught! I DID! The safety patrol was the stereotype GOODY GOODY KID THAT NEVER GOT INTO TROUBLE!

IMO IRL I'd probably be picked on for stealing when it was really someone who had been there for years. (IMO that's how I imagine it).

Just like my school days I GET INTO TROUBLE! The one with seniority years at the company gets OFF SCOTT FREE!

All of those applications confused me and stressed me out it was depressing and I had a meltdown from the stress of doing 10+ a day! Or even 1! (they are 50+ pages of agree/disagree social situations sent me into meltdown crying!! !! !

I gave up and turned my attention on trying to get back on disability SSI dealing with a lawyer but was wondering other Aspies how do you answer these questions? Or f**k IT! there are other jobs that don't involve agree/disagree to which I HAVEN'T FOUND ANY!

(Call center agree/disagree) 100% retail agree/disagree.

IMO college degree YES! *insert field YES! what do you want to do in X field??? Ok HERE'S A JOB DOING THAT EXACT THING BYE!

No weird questions! You want to build cars! FINE! Are you good at building cars? SHOW ME! Ok good! Ok that's your job BUILD CARS! You enjoy it and love it and are good at it! No agree/disagree questions! If you can't handle the social let someone else do that and you are just the mechanic person. No weird questions no stress of applications!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm

I hate applications like that. They're profiling the applicant to see if they are right for the job environment, and while it is possible to lie your way through them, they are set up to catch you lying, so it's not easy. Sometimes there is no "wrong" answers because the "right" answer will vary from employer to employer.

My best advice is to answer the question with the mindset of being a friendly co-worker who wants to help others. So, you would pick the answer that indicates that you would agree to work her shift (if it was okay with the supervisor) or switch shifts with her. No guarantee that this is the answer they want, and I've NEVER (of late) been hired for any place that used this type of BS testing. So, take my advice with a grain of salt.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 2:41 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
I hate applications like that. They're profiling the applicant to see if they are right for the job environment, and while it is possible to lie your way through them, they are set up to catch you lying, so it's not easy. Sometimes there is no "wrong" answers because the "right" answer will vary from employer to employer.

My best advice is to answer the question with the mindset of being a friendly co-worker who wants to help others. So, you would pick the answer that indicates that you would agree to work her shift (if it was okay with the supervisor) or switch shifts with her. No guarantee that this is the answer they want, and I've NEVER (of late) been hired for any place that used this type of BS testing. So, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Can't vouch for other jobs but 100% retail/call center is how you'd deal with customers other employee social situation questions UGH!

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 12:44 pm

I never had luck with these or rarely finish them (job applications should never take more than 30 minutes). To me I think of all the variables and lack of information… I don’t see how affective these tests are, unless it’s to weed out the disabled.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 6:46 pm

The weirdest job application I ever came across was when I applied at Pier 1 Imports, of all places. I mean basically it's just a furniture and knick-knacks store, albeit it imported, "exotic" stuff.

But the application was like a psychological profiling attempt! They had questions that not only were obviously testing your sociability and ease of getting along with others, but even things more philosophical, even bordering on how "spiritual" your outlook on life and people is. Not religious -- nothing like that, but more like they were looking for "New Age" people who believed in vibes and auras and raising the karmic atmosphere..........

I just wanted a job and an income then to go home and be my own kind of spiritual. :(

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2016, 3:58 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Can't vouch for other jobs but 100% retail/call center is how you'd deal with customers other employee social situation questions UGH!

Hahaha a lot of those jobs though require a lot of acting. Customer service for call centers once you learn how to control the call and wow the customer and have the customer eating out of your hand it's easy and doesn't required much social skills accept knowing current trends or phrases.

Using, 'go hawks' often had an overwhelming favorable response from callers making the call easier at stressful times.