Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 7:54 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
B19 wrote:
OP, it may be that WP was represented to you in a misleading way? Possibly you assumed your enthusiasm for ABA would naturally be a good fit here, and you really did not know that WP is primarily a neurodiverse support site. However now that you do, are you able to understand neurodiverse perspectives more clearly, and why others don't share your enthusiasm for ABA?
Well a score of people on this site have praised ABA therapy for how it has helped them. I don't see how someone with ABA therapy should be cast out by this forum it just makes no sense all the person is doing is sharing their opinion what right do we have to try and shut the person down?

No one cast anyone out. We pointed out that ABA is a controversial subject and she responded sarcastically, and with condescension. It was her decision to leave instead of make good.

Of course there are people here who like ABA. And also, there are ways to do ABA that are much gentler and kinder than what Lovaas originally promoted. Nobody is kicking any of these people out. But they also understand that they are on a forum where a big chunk of people have been harmed by this stuff. They treat those people kindly. They don't "lol" us or try to tell us that we are getting off on hurting people.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 8:42 pm

Look I didn't quite see that if anything I kind of felt as though you provoked the OP with just the first few posts you did.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 8:54 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Look I didn't quite see that if anything I kind of felt as though you provoked the OP with just the first few posts you did.

That much seems clear, in that what I said was provocative.

There's really no reason for you to go looking for what I'm seeing. I can't see any good that would come of that at this point, but feel free to look if you need to.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 1:47 am

Wow bit dissapointed in the treatment of someone who as at least trying to understand us. Why would anyone want to help us when we accuse them of redicule.

Lol can just be an awkward I don't know what to say and some of you took it and used it as a reason to bully someone of the site. nice work

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 7:51 am

Alliekit wrote:
Wow bit dissapointed in the treatment of someone who as at least trying to understand us. Why would anyone want to help us when we accuse them of redicule.

Lol can just be an awkward I don't know what to say and some of you took it and used it as a reason to bully someone of the site. nice work

Actually, it can't. I can see how laughter IRL can be nervous tick. But online, where our fingers do the talking, and we have time to think about what we right, LOL means that you are laughing at someone. In this case, I believe the emotion that it was meant to convey was disdain, as in, "I don't even take your posts seriously. They are so beneath me that I'm going to laugh at them."

And your "nice work" doesn't actually mean that you like my work. It's sarcasm. It's mean. And when it comes to bullying, YOU are the one who are taking the role of the aggressor right now.

No body bullied anyone off anything. Standing up for yourself is not bullying. Pointing it out when someone is offending people with disabilities is not bullying.

Sarcasm, on the other hand, is one tool of a bully. It depends on how pervasively it's used.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 9:19 am

somanyspoons wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

Actually, it can't. I can see how laughter IRL can be nervous tick. But online, where our fingers do the talking, and we have time to think about what we right, LOL means that you are laughing at someone. In this case, I believe the emotion that it was meant to convey was disdain, as in, "I don't even take your posts seriously. They are so beneath me that I'm going to laugh at them."

And your "nice work" doesn't actually mean that you like my work. It's sarcasm. It's mean. And when it comes to bullying, YOU are the one who are taking the role of the aggressor right now.

No body bullied anyone off anything. Standing up for yourself is not bullying. Pointing it out when someone is offending people with disabilities is not bullying.

Sarcasm, on the other hand, is one tool of a bully. It depends on how pervasively it's used.

Actually it can. it can be used as a 'I'm not really sure what to say'

I said Nice work in a sarcastic tone not to anyone in particular but you've taken it in defensive fashion.

I just think that we are often made fun of because we don't understand things. and yest when others don't understand things about us we cry foul and say why don't they understand they should.

Sarcasm is not only a tool to bully it's also a tone of resignation. Things have more than one meaning.