Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 3:54 pm

Krelliott4 wrote:
:thumleft:

Is this meant contemptuously and sarcastically? Because that's how it comes across, which is rather rude and dismissive. Now I am VERY concerned for the kids you might work with, if this is the attitude you take with autistic adults. The kids will pick up on your contempt for them, autistic children are much more perceptive of such things than most non-autistics give them credit for because you misinterpret the way they communicate and behave.

Please rethink your approach here.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 3:58 pm

I have worked with a lot of professionals (psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, etc.) who think they are superior to the people they claim to wish to help, and if that is your attitude all you will do is contribute harm to those children's lives. I really hope I am wrong about you, but your behaviour here demonstrates a lot of contempt for autistic people and a sense of superiority over them.

Rather ironic, that your behaviour gives you away as someone who fundamentally misunderstands the people you claim to want to help through behavourism. :lol:

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 3:59 pm

Did I miss some new movement where saying "lol" is a respectful way to interact with people on the internet when we disagree with them?

Maybe it doesn't mean that you are laughing at me anymore? Maybe it means "lots of love?" Or it could mean "lions or lilies?"

I hope you don't laugh at autistic people in the real world. :( I can handle it. I'm 13 years your senior, and senior to you in our mutual profession, as well. But if you do that to a random autistic person, or heaven forbid one of your kids, you could really hurt their feelings.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 4:06 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
Did I miss some new movement where saying "lol" is a respectful way to interact with people on the internet when we disagree with them?

Maybe it doesn't mean that you are laughing at me anymore? Maybe it means "lots of love?" Or it could mean "lions or lilies?"

I hope you don't laugh at autistic people in the real world. :( I can handle it. I'm 13 years your senior, and senior to you in our mutual profession, as well. But if you do that to a random autistic person, or heaven forbid one of your kids, you could really hurt their feelings.

I think it's very possible this is someone who wants to institutionalise bullying. They certainly seem to be doing everything they can to come across as a bully who feels superior to people they claim to want to "work with". Perhaps her schooling is just an excuse to be around people who are already vulnerable so she can capitalise on that vulnerability and get paid for bullying vulnerable children. If that's the case, this is a very sick person and I hope she is found out and her credentials are stripped and she is prevented from working with vulnerable children.

It's not unknown for people with narcissistic and anti-social personalities to be drawn to lines of work that involve working with vulnerable people and having authority over those vulnerable people. They like having power over others they feel are less than them, so they can exploit that authority at their whim.

Krelliott4
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Oct 2016, 4:09 pm

IM leaving this forum. I hope you guys feel good about accusing and saying very hurtful things to me.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 4:13 pm

Krelliott4 wrote:
IM leaving this forum. I hope you guys feel good about accusing and saying very hurtful things to me.

I really hope your takeaway from this is that you re-examine your approach to working with autistic people who you clearly have a lot of contempt for.

Krelliott4
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Oct 2016, 4:16 pm

You don't know me and you don't know anything about me as I don't about you. Your words were very rude and way out of the park. And I won't tell you what I've taken away from this forum but I am trying to deactivate my account.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

wilburforce wrote:
Krelliott4 wrote:

I really hope your takeaway from this is that you re-examine your approach to working with autistic people who you clearly have a lot of contempt for.

Maybe we should all just lick your frog. It would be more productive than this. :nerdy:

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 4:41 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
Krelliott4 wrote:

Maybe we should all just lick your frog. It would be more productive than this. :nerdy:

For the record, that was meant to be a drug joke, and not a come on. I respect your frog's right to privacy.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 4:59 pm

OP, I sincerely recommend this book if you want to start learning about the Autistic Spectrum from the perspective of a child on the spectrum:

The Reason I Jump
by Naoki Higashida

He wrote it when he was 13 years old. I think it is fair to say that many ABA practitioners might consider him as not worth reading as he is not neurotypical; I hope you will make the leap though, because he has valuable insights to offer us all, NT or AS.

“The Reason I Jump is a Rosetta stone. . . . This book takes about ninety minutes to read, and it will stretch your vision of what it is to be human.”—Andrew Solomon, The Times (U.K.)

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 5:04 pm

Krelliott4 wrote:
You don't know me and you don't know anything about me as I don't about you. Your words were very rude and way out of the park. And I won't tell you what I've taken away from this forum but I am trying to deactivate my account.

Your own words here betray your true thoughts about autistic people. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I hope you are found out soon in your professional sphere and are kept from interacting with autistic children as you seem likely to be abusive. How you even managed to get through school boggles my mind. I can only hope you are lying about your credentials as well, because if you weren't spotted for what you are by any of your professors then the academic establishment is letting people with mental health issues and developmental disabilities down by allowing bullies like you to achieve certification. No one should trust you with their children.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 5:08 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
Krelliott4 wrote:

Hehehe--but in all seriousness, research is showing more and more how helpful psychedelics can be in opening people's minds and helping them deal with various psychological issues like addiction and trauma.

Perhaps licking a psychedelic frog would be more useful to the OP than her apparently useless "education" on behaviourism and autistic children. :lol:

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 5:42 pm

wilburforce wrote:
somanyspoons wrote:

I think it's very possible this is someone who wants to institutionalise bullying. They certainly seem to be doing everything they can to come across as a bully who feels superior to people they claim to want to "work with". Perhaps her schooling is just an excuse to be around people who are already vulnerable so she can capitalise on that vulnerability and get paid for bullying vulnerable children. If that's the case, this is a very sick person and I hope she is found out and her credentials are stripped and she is prevented from working with vulnerable children.

It's not unknown for people with narcissistic and anti-social personalities to be drawn to lines of work that involve working with vulnerable people and having authority over those vulnerable people. They like having power over others they feel are less than them, so they can exploit that authority at their whim.

My personal theory is that we just backed her into a corner, emotionally, and she was simply lashing out at us. She thought that she would be lauded as a professional in the business here. It's hard to have that expectation crushed! But it had to happen. It's possible that we planted a seed that will grow over the coming years.

In general, ego maniacs don't really go into education. It's true that you get a lot of power with the kids. But you are terribly powerless in the face of other teachers, administrators, parents and lawyers. We tend to be more the compulsive helper type. If anything, you get more co-dependent types - they need to help other people in order to feel good. That can cause a lot of problems because you are really pulling on the people you help to help you, and it shouldn't be that way. (Yes, I am speaking from personal experience. It's something I work hard to not do anymore. If I can't help, that is not a reflection on me or my worth. :) )

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 6:24 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
somanyspoons wrote:

My personal theory is that we just backed her into a corner, emotionally, and she was simply lashing out at us. She thought that she would be lauded as a professional in the business here. It's hard to have that expectation crushed! But it had to happen. It's possible that we planted a seed that will grow over the coming years.

In general, ego maniacs don't really go into education. It's true that you get a lot of power with the kids. But you are terribly powerless in the face of other teachers, administrators, parents and lawyers. We tend to be more the compulsive helper type. If anything, you get more co-dependent types - they need to help other people in order to feel good. That can cause a lot of problems because you are really pulling on the people you help to help you, and it shouldn't be that way. (Yes, I am speaking from personal experience. It's something I work hard to not do anymore. If I can't help, that is not a reflection on me or my worth. :) )

You are probably right, at least I certainly hope so. My assumptions about people tend toward the cynical, and that's something I should probably work on myself. I hope she makes use of your insight as a fellow social worker.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 7:10 pm

Krelliott4 wrote:
Hey guys! I am so glad to have been told about this website and to join! I am currently an ABA Therapist and a Registered Behavior Technician. I also just was accepted into Graduate School for A MS in ABA with emphasis of Autism. I plan to open my own company up for Self injurious and High Magnitude Behaviors.

Unfortunate lead for a thread on a forum where people have been damaged by ABA, but if you haven't left yet, welcome.

Some of the responses in this thread may have seemed a bit personal to you. You are having the value of your career brought into question by those who you are motivated to help. I think this is because some people on here have been personally harmed by ABA and view it as a threat.

I don't agree with the basic premise of ABA which is conditioning someone by carrot and stick. It is a base and rudimentary method only concerned with the effect of the behaviour on others, not the experience of the autistic person. You should know that a cessation of behaviour is not indicative of a healthier mind. Often it is the opposite.

You mentioned you are experiencing your own self-injurious behaviours. I am sorry to hear this. I'm a recovering cutter. A lot of autistic people do not share this behaviour with me though.

Anyway, I hope you can do some good with your motivation to help people.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 7:19 pm

Let's all calm down for a minute. Wilburforce I don't think it is fair at all to say that this person does not care about autistic children. It is far more likely than even if you disapprove of the therapy the person is only doing what they think is good for autistic children.