Is it appropriate to ask someone out you met networking?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 6:37 pm

Today a group of people visited my office (I work at a documentary production company). They work for a museum in town, and we were showing them our facilities and our work. It was a meet and greet, pretty frequent in the business. Sometimes they turn into new clients, but most of the time, it's just showing folks around.

Among this group were a couple of people with whom I seemed to really hit it off. A lot of similar interests, and they seemed impressed by my work. At the end of it all, we exchanged business cards and parted ways.

I'd like to write one of them, and see about meeting again. I don't think it's a problem since there isn't a business relationship in place, and they were just visiting, but the visit itself was in a professional capacity. And I want to respect boundaries and practice good professional decorum.

Is it appropriate for me to write, an email perhaps? How do proceed?

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 7:20 pm

There's at least a professional capacity for this future meetup.
Go for it, Brian! Send an email, just keep it casual and be approachable.
And if one of the girls you like is going to show up it'll be an opportunity for you to be yourself and offer to organise something else again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 4:17 am

I would mix in something pertaining to the previous business in the email. How you like the idea, etc.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Nov 2016, 3:47 pm

Brian, I am sorry, but I think this is very risky for two reasons. First, how much do you actually know about this woman? (Is she single, or is she already in a relationship?) Second, women complain that when they try to network or seek professional mentoring, men try to turn it into a romantic and/or sexual relationship.

jatos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2016, 4:47 pm

DO NOT TRY IT ON JUST YET

I would just seek realistic opportunities to get to know here and see what tone you get back from her.