Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2016, 10:24 pm

Ever since I've gotten back to college, I've noticed that I am much happier. Last school year, I spent a couple months talking to a therapist, mainly about improving my self-esteem. Since then, I've been making a conscious effort to smile more, carry myself in a more positive manner, and stop worrying excessively. I also have limited my intake of alcoholic drinks (not really on purpose). I can say that I've felt so much better about myself, and believe that people have been more inclined to interact with me as a result. Perhaps most prominently attesting to my improvement was a recent termination of a romantic relationship, my first, by the girl I was dating. I expected myself to break down, but I came away from it with a more optimistic and sunny outlook than I could ever have imagined. I still act like an aspie, without a doubt, but I feel so much more fulfilled and satisfied with myself and those around me after putting in effort to improve myself. I post this as evidence that happiness can be initiated by yourself, and that that is a very important basis of positive interactions with others.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 10:30 pm

Thank you for sharing that. I have had occasion to see some people really get better in the 1+ years I've been on this forum, and it lets me tell people in crisis that there is still lots of hope for them.

I'm glad you are well.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 10:45 pm

I really appreciate that you mentioned not just that things were improving, but how you've gotten there. :)