Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 5:35 pm

When Hillary Clinton gets elected president it will set a precedent not only for women but former first ladies. Who knows, in eight years maybe Michelle Obama will seek election as well!

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 11:53 am

She seems too nice to run for president. I would consider voting for her though if for no other reason than to get a decent person in office.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 12:01 pm

I suspect she would make a great president, but bear in mind that whoever takes that office must manage power in some variation on this:

So temper your expectations, no matter how fine a person the candidate may be.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 2:00 pm

Actually she's always been quite popular so I wouldn't be surprised if she ran for public office, following in the footsteps of HRC.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Oct 2016, 2:34 pm

How does being First Lady qualify one to be president? How do we gauge a First Lady's performance? Michelle's little initiate to get 'healthier' school lunches and trying to get kids to play is about as traditional as it gets, I know she's an educated woman but how would you know?

The spouse of a president term limited president should not be allowed to be elected president, that is banana republic ****

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Oct 2016, 5:03 pm

Jacoby wrote:
How does being First Lady qualify one to be president? How do we gauge a First Lady's performance? Michelle's little initiate to get 'healthier' school lunches and trying to get kids to play is about as traditional as it gets, I know she's an educated woman but how would you know?

The spouse of a president term limited president should not be allowed to be elected president, that is banana republic ****

I actually broadly agree.

Clinton is qualified to be President because, in ascending order of importance, she was a successful lawyer for years, she was a Senator and she was Secretary of State. Her exposure to the White House through Bill will probably help her but on its own I don't think it is enough. Michelle's legal career was much shorter and less distinguished, and she doesn't have a political career, which should broadly be disqualifying for becoming President.

I don't think it's appropriate to stop spouses becoming Presidents. They still have to go through the same rigorous process as everyone else in order to gain the nomination and then election, they can't just be appointed by their spouse. That would force ambitious people to divorce their partners if they won election, or turn away strong candidates like HRC for no good reason. I think it's a sad indictment on the system that both candidates this year are from dynasties, and it shouldn't happen, but it's not right to combat it with blunt legislation. Combat it by making it easier for people from outside dynasties to compete on a level playing field.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 5:21 pm

Michelle Obama might seek Senator or Governor office first. Wouldn't surprise me if she did so in the next couple of years, after Jan. 1st of course! She can't do much of anything while she is active first lady. VERY similar to what HRC did when she left the White House as first lady.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 8:53 pm

I don't see why not. You can have your first black and your first woman president both at the same time.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 9:20 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't see why not. You can have your first black and your first woman president both at the same time.

President Obama is the first black president but she would be first African American women. If this is what you meant, I apologize.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 11:07 pm

Jacoby wrote:

As opposed to a dumb, flaky, orange equivalent of an Essex Girl... that makes it what, the best republic? :roll:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 3:17 pm

This reminds me of camping at Grand Canyon National Park where campsites are limited to one week per I.D. or driver's license, but if you want to stay longer, they allow using another person's ID in your party. So if 3 people have IDs, staying up to three weeks at a time is possible.