Never been in a relationship and I need help!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2016, 5:40 pm

There is several aspects why although its something I want to have, I'm anxious to put my effort into being in a relationship and I hope people can help me. I'm in my 20s now is the right time!

1) Special interests, I priotitze them over pretty much everything. I am so obsessed with doing these interests I find them much more rewarding than seeking a social life, for me to be creative and enjoy what I'm doing but it is very solitary.
But a social life and relationships in my life - its non existent. I have tried making friends with people at my college who share the same interests but I find it hard as when I do it by myself, I have control over everything and find it more rewarding I can focus much more.The main social contact I have in life is with other people in my shared house.
My biggest concern is having a relationship. I want to experience being loved by someone. But I'm afraid to take action trying to work towards this goal because it could mean I would engage in my interests less.

2) Body language, and reading it. I much better understand the way people communicate through words but eye contact can be hard enough, but a lot of things on attraction I've read reading body language is cruicial and its how people communicate more with bodies than their words. It scares me to know my body is saying something different than my words. I always find myself going through life not reading other's body language because I want to make sure I process what they have to say correctly.

3) Expressing feelings like to show them you mean a lot to them. I'm worried I will be so focused on my interests I will forget to call or text them to see how they are, forgot to ask how something went and giving gifts, and other gestures. I've loved people before (strongly) but I find it very difficult to express how I feel about emotions like love. Or how to comfort if someone's upset.

4) How accepting girls will be of my autism. I'm much better than I've ever been but its a big part of who I am and why I do/can't do certain things. I worry I will be a burden to them.

If I can work on these areas I may feel better about this all I would be grateful for any reassurance in any of those points. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 7:48 pm

It's great that you have been able to identify the ins you need to work on! that's a very difficult thing to do.

I had similar worries in regard to special interests but I found someone who liked them aswell. I've actually found it very rewarding when we do it together.

It's about the balance making sure you have time and space for both.

I've tried to teach myself a little body language like what certain movements of eyebrows mean and what certain hand movements mean. Its helped me be a bit more social