Women seen as inherently more trustworthy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 9:59 pm

This might be a bit of a weird LGBT topic but I've been job searching, and it seems in many jobs that require a level of trust in a stranger, women are vastly preferred. I was looking at things like house sitting, pet sitting etc. Even things that involve children in any way, like driving busses. Jobs that involve any kind of nursing have always been very gender segregated in female favour. The trend seems to continue into accommodations - many accommodations stipulate women only, regardless of whether the person advertising is a man or a woman.
Now I know well that many things are slanted the other way, and women are underrepresented and maligned usually as too "soft" or "emotional" (read - not male) but are women seen as inherently more trustworthy? Are men viewed as potentially dangerous or predatory, even when some men are gentle and some women predators?
This seems odd in a way as in many cultures, the feminine is seen as a whole range of negative things from sexually luring (the evil temptress figure) to immoral, material, basal, ignorant, "dark," etc, whereas masculinity is comparatively praised. Or is it historically based on the idea that men are more violent, warlike, dominant?
This may be more obvious to transfolk, who have at one time or another been viewed both ways (or both ways at once, for many genderqueers). It struck me as strange. But then I don't see a person's gender having any real impact on whether they're trustworthy, gentle, violent, or dangerous.
Thoughts?

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 8:59 am

I'm genderqueer and while many people don't know unless I tell them my own family feels that I'm not "gentle" at all but "rough" if anything.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 9:14 am

Size seems to be a factor--kids are naturally intimidated by big people. This intimidation factor goes away when you have a small adult of either gender. But, small guys make up only a tiny portion of the adult population.

vethysnia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2016, 8:53 pm

I don't feel like gender really impacts a person's character like that.

My ex girlfriend robbed a store a week before I was supposed to fly up to Canada to visit her. Tickets were bought and everything. They led her away in handcuffs.

Society has it's views, and I don't really agree with them.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2016, 12:06 am

C2V wrote:
Or is it historically based on the idea that men are more violent, warlike, dominant?

It would be more accurate to say that it's based on the reality that men are more violent. It isn't just an idea.