JFK assassination - and others - anniversary discussion .

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you remember hearing of John F. Kennedy's murder on 11/22/63 , the day it happened ??
No . 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Yes (If so , please tell us your memory .) . 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 8:34 pm

With the 53d anniversary of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy's assassination in 1963 approaching , coming later this month - Let's discuss our memories regarding that , and other such catastrophic/" major " events .
I am just the tiniest bit too young to have a " Where were you when you heard about it ? " memory , I was 3&3/4 years old and remember basically nothing before I was 5&1/2 or so - I have often thought that this separates me from " Classic " Baby Boomers , who do tend to have an indelible memory of hearing about it !
Understandably so .
Secret Service , please note - I am discussing VERY terrible and deplorable matters - My talking about them should not be interpreted as being any way supportive of such actions !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 4:32 am

No, I wasn't even born yet.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 5:18 am

I was 8. My third grade classmates were whispering about the president being killed. Didnt know if they were all joking, or what. When I completed the three block walk home mom told me the news at the door, so I knew it really happened.

Sometimes I swing through the old neighborhood in my car, and when I pass the elementary school the thought of the JFK assassination still flashes through my mind.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 9:38 am

I was a tiny, little thing----but, I remember it, like it was yesterday, cuz I got yelled at for standing in front of the TV, while they were talking about it. We didn't have a TV in those days----that's probably why it's such a vivid memory to me, cuz I was so mesmerized by people being in that box----but, my mother had borrowed one from somebody, until the week's coverage was over.

I also remember wondering why people were crying about someone they'd never met, in their LIFE----and then, a little less than 14 years later, when Elvis died, I cried for a WEEK; that was DEFINITELY a moment of me remembering EXACTLY where I was, when I heard.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 8:01 pm

I was almost three years old, and totally oblivious to the world then.

Nope...no memory of the JFK assassination.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 9:11 pm

...You really liked Elvis that much , as a teenager , that you cried like that ?
We're about the same age , and it seems too me that , for most pop/rock-oriented teenagers then , Elvis might have seemed a little old hat .
Not so much to country music-oriented teenagers , I would guess .
I liked oldies , myself , so did know Elvis more ~ and had bought the " Moody Blue " b/w " She Thinks I Still Care " 45 when it was on the charts just recently ! :)
Were your parent " Elvis generation " teenagers of the 1950s ?

quote="Campin_Cat"]I was a tiny, little thing----but, I remember it, like it was yesterday, cuz I got yelled at for standing in front of the TV, while they were talking about it. We didn't have a TV in those days----that's probably why it's such a vivid memory to me, cuz I was so mesmerized by people being in that box----but, my mother had borrowed one from somebody, until the week's coverage was over.

I also remember wondering why people were crying about someone they'd never met, in their LIFE----and then, a little less than 14 years later, when Elvis died, I cried for a WEEK; that was DEFINITELY a moment of me remembering EXACTLY where I was, when I heard.
[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 11:33 pm

I was 6 years old and very upset my cartoons were not on TV.

I remember fear of riots when MLK was assasinated even though we were miles from any "negro ghetto".

When Bobby Kennedy was shot (he had not died yet) I ripped up my 5th grade current events project to write about that. I was the only one in my class to do so which surprises me to this day.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 2:05 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I was 6 years old and very upset my cartoons were not on TV.

I remember fear of riots when MLK was assasinated even though we were miles from any "negro ghetto".

When Bobby Kennedy was shot (he had not died yet) I ripped up my 5th grade current events project to write about that. I was the only one in my class to do so which surprises me to this day.

That you ripped up your previous project to write a new current events project shows how on top of things you were. :D

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 7:08 pm

ASS-P and Campin_Cat wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

You really liked Elvis that much, as a teenager, that you cried like that?

Oh, yeah----I was totally obsessed with him, since day-one that I saw him on The Ed Sullivan Show. I kept a scrapbook of everything I found in the newspaper / magazines about him. I had alot of his albums (still DO)----and, one I DIDN'T have, my sister DID; so, I stole it from her!! LOL

We're about the same age, and it seems to me that, for most pop/rock-oriented teenagers then, Elvis might have seemed a little old hat. Not so much to country music-oriented teenagers, I would guess.

Yeah, my people are from the South, so I was into country music----along with most other genres----I feel that Country, Rock, R&B, and Gospel are VERY closely related; and, I was a HUGE fan of ALL of those (I totally grew-up on Motown, for instance----couldn't get enough of it).

I liked oldies, myself, so did know Elvis more ~ and had bought the "Moody Blue" b/w "She Thinks I Still Care" 45 when it was on the charts just recently! :)

Were your parents "Elvis generation" teenagers of the 1950s?

Oh, my, no!! My mother was in her 30s, in the 50s----but, she was a HUGE Elvis fan, as well (she was teary-eyed, too, when he died). She often brought home a newspaper or magazine, so I could put the article in my scrapbook. We watched "Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii", together----that show was history-making, because it was the first live, simultaneous satellite broadcast, around-the-world. I wrote-down EVERY WORD he said, during that concert, and put it in my scrapbook (which I still have). I have the video of that concert, a tour of Graceland video (I've never been to Graceland, though), several taped interviews with him, and other stuff. Then, when he died, my mother let me buy EVERY newspaper (I mean, one from EACH different publisher), which I also still have.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 7:05 pm

...I remember being told of MLK's death the morning after it occurred , as I readied for school , by my mother .
My father , as a newsperson , was in the Ambassador Hotel in LA when RFK was shot ! 8O But he did not see it . He was taking care of his company's videotape room , on another floor from the main floor where the celebration was , and so did not see - nor cover the tragedy .

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 7:13 pm

...Did Elvis appear on Ed Sullivan during our lifetimes ? I thought his original Sullivan shows were only during the 50s .
I thought , maybe?? , his only 1960s variety show appearance prior to the " Comeback Special " in '68 was a " Welcome Home Elvis " special , which Frank Sinatra appeared on , after he got out of the Army .
Maybe I am wrong there .

Campin_Cat wrote:
ASS-P and Campin_Cat wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

You really liked Elvis that much, as a teenager, that you cried like that?

Oh, yeah----I was totally obsessed with him, since day-one that I saw him on The Ed Sullivan Show. I kept a scrapbook of everything I found in the newspaper / magazines about him. I had alot of his albums (still DO)----and, one I DIDN'T have, my sister DID; so, I stole it from her!! LOL

We're about the same age, and it seems to me that, for most pop/rock-oriented teenagers then, Elvis might have seemed a little old hat. Not so much to country music-oriented teenagers, I would guess.

Yeah, my people are from the South, so I was into country music----along with most other genres----I feel that Country, Rock, R&B, and Gospel are VERY closely related; and, I was a HUGE fan of ALL of those (I totally grew-up on Motown, for instance----couldn't get enough of it).

I liked oldies, myself, so did know Elvis more ~ and had bought the "Moody Blue" b/w "She Thinks I Still Care" 45 when it was on the charts just recently! :)

Were your parents "Elvis generation" teenagers of the 1950s?

Oh, my, no!! My mother was in her 30s, in the 50s----but, she was a HUGE Elvis fan, as well (she was teary-eyed, too, when he died). She often brought home a newspaper or magazine, so I could put the article in my scrapbook. We watched "Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii", together----that show was history-making, because it was the first live, simultaneous satellite broadcast, around-the-world. I wrote-down EVERY WORD he said, during that concert, and put it in my scrapbook (which I still have). I have the video of that concert, a tour of Graceland video (I've never been to Graceland, though), several taped interviews with him, and other stuff. Then, when he died, my mother let me buy EVERY newspaper (I mean, one from EACH different publisher), which I also still have.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 7:27 pm

I remember Martin Luther King and RFK's deaths very well.

I was 7 years old. I knew King was a great man. He was leading the "poor peoples' march" when this happened. I knew he wanted equal rights for black people (they weren't usually called "negroes" in 1968).

I didn't know RFK very well. I knew he was the brother of JFK--that's it.

I remember the names James Earl Ray (who killed King) and Sirhan Sirhan (who killed RFK). I found Sirhan Sirhan a funny name.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 8:14 pm

I remember being in ceramics class in high school when the Challenger space shuttle exploded.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 8:20 pm

When the Challenger explosion happened, I was living on Nixon Court in Brooklyn. I was 25 years old.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 1:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I was 7 years old. I knew King was a great man. He was leading the "poor peoples' march" when this happened. I knew he wanted equal rights for black people (they weren't usually called "negroes" in 1968).

The "black" "negros" situation in 1968 was like the "Autistic" "People with Autism" is now. While there was "black is beautiful" and "black power" the news media nearly uniformly called them Negros. That changed around 1970.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 11:27 am

My recollection is that black people were "negroes" in 1967, then became "black" in 1968.