Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BlankReg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2016, 12:48 pm

So encouraging to hear that so many others have the same difficulty I do with family gatherings.

I too have so little in common with my family, which on its own isn't that big a deal, except my family members make it a big deal. All they want to talk about is people-- who does this, and who did that to them, and who's doing drugs/drinking/sleeping with whoever. And ghod forbid I use a word they don't understand because the conversation stops while everyone looks at me in awkward silence until someone makes fun of me for "trying to act smart."

There's just no good reason to deal with my family-- especially at my age. It's like reliving high school all over again (most of my siblings still have the same friends and tastes from that period of their lives). No one is really interested in what I have to say and they let me know it in subtle and not-so-subtle ways.

I put up with it a Christmas and maybe Easter, but only for an hour or two. Kinda like some Christians that only go to church twice a year.

Diagnosed at 51.

"In theory, theory is the same as practice; but in practice it isn't." -- Anonymous Bosch

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 6:07 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
LyraLuthTinu wrote:
My sister is also usually the worst--also a drama queen, and so painfully NT it's very hard for me to talk to her. We have nothing in common except we happen to have the same parents.

My husband thinks she does it all deliberately to see if she can provoke me to a meltdown. :cry:

So talking to them is hard, and I usually hide in a back room instead.

That was really horrible of your aunt. Nobody in my family really gets the concept of *Lyra has Asperger's* either. they told my husband outright that he didn't know what he was talking about.

Can I PM you?

Sorry it took so long to get back to the thread, Kitty, I've been offline except at work for a week.
Yes, you can PM me anytime. :)

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Dave_T
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Nov 2016, 6:24 pm

Am so glad I read this thread, I have nothing in common with my family, I hate family party's, I feel ever time someone talks to me am just repeating the same boring chit chat.

I have a wedding to go to soon am stressing out thinking about it.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 144 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 66 of 200