yes, people with ASD are better 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
ASD are equal to all people 82%  82%  [ 42 ]
people with ASD are worth less than non autistics 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 51

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 11:32 am

Im just curious to see how many people on this site feel about where Non autistics and autistics sit on a class scale.

if yes, please leave a full answer why you believe this to be true

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 12:34 pm

I voted for equal because I have gotten the same treatment experience with others I have gotten from NTs and I have seen the same human behaviors in those with ASD I have seen in none ASD and negative personalities.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 12:43 pm

i dont know, sometimes i feel inferior, and sometimes superior (which isnt fair, i live in an area with ALOT of very stupid people, so i dont think its nice to feel better then them as it isnt there fault)

i do however find other autistic people as much better friends then non-autistic people. much more in common, i feel more comfortable around them and generally we get along better. "normal" people just find me weird and unlikeable and alot of the time the feelings mutual

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 1:00 pm

I think most Aspi's like to feel superior in some way for their own egos sake with realizing they also have deficits due to their autism.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 2:11 pm

I think feeling superior when you clearly and objectively aren't is just a defence mechanism to compensate for underlying self-esteem and self-worth issues, and verbalising such feelings can be an outlet for frustration. Both socially inept Aspies and inadequate NTs can be especially prone to such feelings.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 3:52 pm

I don't think it's the right question, really. Are AS people valued as much, more or less - by themselves, by others, would represent something more meaningful to me. I think AS people as a group tend to undervalue themselves, and that is partly due to internalised oppression. As humans we have equality, but we don't have EQUITY, we don't have equal opportunity (yet) and we have yet to learn as a group how to address the inequity. Breaking down barriers to equity is the great task of the future. Feeling superior or not has nothing much to do with this at the end of the day. AS is a spectrum, as we often say, though the prejudice is applied in a blanket way, and self value suffers because of that. AS empowerment has not really begun yet, though it could, and I think it must.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 4:19 pm

Superior?

Absolutely!

In fact here is our new "aspie anthem":

https://youtu.be/dZlFBSRrSR0

leodfelion
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2016, 5:13 pm

I don't think, as a whole, that those with ASD are overall Superior. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses. None of us in this world knows everything and can do everything. If you are one to say you can, there will be someone that will prove you wrong. Sadly, though, those with ASD can appear to be smug know-it-alls to the neuro-typical due to our extreme interests in subjects. I remember working at a call center and having co-workers dislike me because I would correct them when they were wrong. As an aspie that has struggled with self-esteem, this was very confusing. I thought I was being helpful and didn't understand why they would think I felt superior. I genuinely just wanted to feel equal. I wanted to be confident in myself. But as they say, "There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance". Don't be arrogant. It further compounds how society views us as a whole and widens the gaps that already exist. Isn't it the primary goal to accepted for who we are while being able to experience life? Don't we want progression and not regression? Just some things to think about......

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 7:08 pm

None of the above
While we are fundementially different than NT's, as a group ASD's and NT's are too diverse to make a categorical statement. Some ASD's are superior to some NT's and visa versa.

How do define superior and inferior anyway?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 9:05 pm

I've voted for the second one. You'll have to excuse the language. I am the WP rebel.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 11:41 pm

Disability and superiority are mutually exclusive.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 11:51 pm

are motorcycles superior to cars? to bicycles? to trucks? to buses? to airplanes?

are streetbikes superior to dirtbikes?

IT DEPENDS ON THE NARROW DEFFINITION OF WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO

although, I do get fed up with their constant lies

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 12:20 am

Superior in what way? I think superior/inferior are really unhelpful and unhealthy stamps to put on the concept of 'what value is this human' and 'does being x make me this or that', people are people, we're all different and strive and aim for different arcs. Everybody can be 'superior' in some way, again superior just sounds a dim thing, 'talented', 'positive', 'useful', 'excel' I like to think of regarding good qualities, that gives a kind of sliding scale to replace 'inferior' as nobody is inferior in reality, we're all on different levels/trajectories depending on the area. I don't think a human exists who is a superior being in every possible way to every other human... a class of them sure as heck doesn't exist no matter which way they're painted or molded or what conditions they do or don't possess, autistics often have a scattered range of abilities and interests which make for a very uneven plain, as a general rule many of us struggle to hold the fort down to succeed along the wider shape, I know I am really good at some things, really astute and capable in areas that others won't be, emotionally in many respects but equally that comes at a price where the intensity and depth affect me too, I am **** poor and hopeless at some things or utterly uninterested and vacant when it could serve me well, but would I rather be well rounded so I don't struggle as much, absolutely not because that would not be me any longer and give me my strengths.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 12:30 am

I believe we are all equal. I prefer to tell myself superior, but society says other.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 3:26 am

My opinion when it comes to my political views and how I treat others is that all people are equal. An idea is worth as much as it's usefulness and considering any group of people as being superior to any other never ends well.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 4:57 am

Um, no. Not saying we don't have our strengths, but our weaknesses are clinical.