Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 5:28 pm

It just occurred to me that I'm eating a vegan diet unintentionally! I drink protein shakes, eat liquid eggs, protein bars, soups, salads, vegetables, fruits, peanut butter, green tea. I haven't had a solid piece of meat for months.

Is anyone else here vegan? Am I vegan? 8O

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 5:49 pm

I'm not a vegan... I have this whole love affair with cheese going on. :D I am, however a vegetarian.

I'm not sure if you have accidentally become a vegan or not. What are liquid eggs? Do you mean egg replacer? If it is just eggs in a liquid form, then that would immediately disqualify you from being a vegan. I think most egg replacer product these days are vegan though. It's been awhile since I used any, so I can't say for sure. Also, a lot of times protein shakes have a dairy base, so that would also knock you out of the vegan category as well. You'd have to check the label to know for sure on that one. You may well have accidentally gone vegetarian though. Ovo-lacto vegetarians eat dairy and eggs.

Not sure if you are okay with not eating meat again or not, but often people who cut meat from their diets experience stomach aches/upset when meat is reintroduced. If you are not planning to stay vegetarian, you might want to add a meat based protein to your diet once or twice a week to avoid that problem in the future.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 7:11 pm

Eggs aren't vegan so you would be a vegetarian. I came to the realization I am also a vegetarian unintentionally because I am so sick, I live of a liquid diet of smoothies, protein powder, milk, canola oil, peanut butter, bananas, ground flax/psyllium. Ironically I don't have any vegetables.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 9:23 pm

I always thought being vegan or vegetarian was a choice. I guess if you *want* to be vegan it's not a bad thing. I personally like real dairy products from real cows too much to be vegan. :)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 12:19 am

Noca wrote:
Eggs aren't vegan so you would be a vegetarian. I came to the realization I am also a vegetarian unintentionally because I am so sick, I live of a liquid diet of smoothies, protein powder, milk, canola oil, peanut butter, bananas, ground flax/psyllium. Ironically I don't have any vegetables.

That's me too! I'm "ovo-lacto vegetarian". They say vegetarians live longer.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 3:22 am

Hah, I doubt anyone can be vegan by accident. Many seemingly vegetarian things have additives that are not vegan - tallow in frozen chips and hoof-based gelatine in desserts, for example.
I was vegan for years, and it takes effort to be healthy and balanced on a vegan diet. Also makes eating out very sticky.
I'm vegetarian these days. Dabbled a bit with going back to an omnivorous diet (white meats only) when I was a drunk and didn't care about anything but drinking - but am exclusively vegetarian sober. :D Have been vegetarian most of my life and vastly prefer it that way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 3:16 pm

That means you're a real Sweet Pea. I wish I could be like you.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 10:24 am

For health, ethics, and environment, vegetarian is good. Vegan is better.

What you eat matters.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 5:13 pm

To each his own, I suppose. Personally, I'm a meat eater and I feel no shame about it.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"