Why i have thought that English is depriving my mind :-)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 6:23 am

I'm Polish but i also knew English so can use this forum without resorting to Google Translate (mostly )

But i think that learning English as foreign language can deprive people minds.

And here me reason why
Today, during the service at my church (I'm Catholic) was a hymn sung in Latin, the screen was displayed on the projector text of this hymn in Latin and one of the word (recalling it from my memory) was. [David cum Sibylla :mrgreen: ]
I thought i was going to start laugh in the CHURCH :mrgreen:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 6:48 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
I'm Polish but i also knew English so can use this forum without resorting to Google Translate (mostly )

But i think that learning English as foreign language can deprive people minds.

And here me reason why
Today, during the service at my church (I'm Catholic) was a hymn sung in Latin, the screen was displayed on the projector text of this hymn in Latin and one of the word (recalling it from my memory) was. [David cum Sibylla :mrgreen: ]
I thought i was going to start laugh in the CHURCH :mrgreen:
It's not just English. As you live in Poland, you must know some German, but to an English speaker unfamiliar with German the German words for Ascension (Christi Himmelfahrt) and Assumption (Mariä Himmelfahrt) sound quite hilarious.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 11:00 am

:lol:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 4:40 am

I think everyone who knows more than one language encounters this.

Some other 'indecent' ones:

Pick and cook are both pronounced the same as two Norwegian colloquial words for penis.
Bash is pronounced the same as a childish word for feces, and do is written the same way as a word for toilet.

Max E, you would like that holiday here in Norway then, it is written without the second h here.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 3:00 am

MaxE wrote:
As you live in Poland, you must know some German

You'd be surprised. I have many Polish co-workers, and most of them speak good-to-excellent English, but not a word of German. Only a handful are proficient in German.

@Pawel, one Dutch word my Polish co-workers find quite funny is 'goeie' (an informal pronunciation of 'goede' which means 'good'), as in the terms 'goeiemorgen'(good morning), goeiemiddag (good afternoon) etc. This is because it's pronounced as the Polish word 'chuje'. :P

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 4:11 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
MaxE wrote:
As you live in Poland, you must know some German

You'd be surprised. I have many Polish co-workers, and most of them speak good-to-excellent English, but not a word of German. Only a handful are proficient in German.

@Pawel, one Dutch word my Polish co-workers find quite funny is 'goeie' (an informal pronunciation of 'goede' which means 'good'), as in the terms 'goeiemorgen'(good morning), goeiemiddag (good afternoon) etc. This is because it's pronounced as the Polish word 'chuje'. :P

Lol :mrgreen:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 8:43 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I think everyone who knows more than one language encounters this.

Some other 'indecent' ones:

Pick and cook are both pronounced the same as two Norwegian colloquial words for penis.
Bash is pronounced the same as a childish word for feces, and do is written the same way as a word for toilet.

Max E, you would like that holiday here in Norway then, it is written without the second h here.

Is 'slange' also considered a colloqiual word for penis in Norway? Because here in the US, 'shlong' (Pronounced much the same as 'slange') is.